Merrillville Semi-State Predictions

Justdo^it135

I just want to take a second educate you all on one of the seemingly most underlooked 125's.

Jordan Hicks 11 43-0 :o (Seeger)

No he isn't from the region and no he hasn't had the highest RPI<- (stolen from NCAA basically rating stregnth of schedule)

But what he does do is win. He has around 28 falls. He placed second at regional in 2008 and 2009 losing to 3rd place finisher Alderman in 2008 and losing in OT (he had a takedown out of bound that was called out of bounds though both feet were in) to Ezra Penn. That is a pretty good High Shcool resume. Now he returns once again at 125, only this time as a Regional Champ. I look for this Former Middle School State Champ(2007 @ 117) to show everyone what he is made of with to say the least a very impressive performance.

Personally, I would like to thank everyone who has been counting him out because, like the Saints, he will have a chip on his shoulder.

He's done very well so far, he could be a state qualifier. What ranked wrestlers has he beaten?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm tired of the anthony hawkins was sick excuses... i've heard he was sick the first time he lost to bradley, he was sick at the team regional, he was sick the second time he lost to bradley, he was sick when he went to overtime with nick lenzo, he was sick against mville and portage earlier in the year and that is why padilla and torres kept it close with him... for a state champion, this kid must have either the world's weakest immune system or the world's most annoying fans, one or the other, i haven't decided yet  ::)

You know what Rankingsguy, Anthony has never used being sick as an excuse. And I'm sure that you know his family, so you know darn well that wouldn't even be an option.  A fan made that an excuse for his first loss to Bradley, I don't recall reading  anything about him being sick any other time. I think you are over reacting just a bit.

Hopefully you're right. Unforunately though Seeger has a reputation (Jacob Cook) of bringing their 58-0 records into Merrillville and getting wrecked by kids that have 4-6 losses on the year. 2008 would be a prime example when Daniel Young tech-falled Cook 20-5 in the ticket round.

Ok I figured someone would bring this up, but Jacob had two of the worst draws D. Young(eventually 3rd place finisher and a State Champ) and Churchard(eventual State Runner Up). If you wanna go name dropping on past seeger wrestlers we can go right to Eli Cook 2xSQ who Placed fifth 2005 at 160.

I think that he is tough but he came in with a pretty good record last season and lost to Gabe Muro Griffith who had 10 losses first rd. Anyone who was the Team Regional Knows that the little Schurg has some Skills beating Damian Torres Who was just in a overtime match with Hawkins and Al Padilla who was just in a overtime match Escobedo NAd he almost majored both. Also Mitch Hartman has wrestled and done well against some really tough kids

Valid Point but anyone who saw that match would have seen him wrestling through pain in the first period when his knee went out on him.- referring to the Muro match

Actaully I take back everything I just said.  Hicks barely won regionals against someone with a 12-5 record.  Went into 2OT actually

Well lets tell his oppenents he isn't tough because from my knowledge that same 12-5 kid, whom of which Jordan has beaten three times, only lost a 5-4 mach againt Thorton. The kid came out determined and with a gameplan though kid can push matches .

He has wrestled every match and has dodged noone. He has wrestled up to get competition on several occasions. He did go out on the mat against Hanover Central when a certain 125 did not(I am not saying he was dodging), If that match happens we aren't having this conversation.

Hopefully you're right. Unforunately though Seeger has a reputation (Jacob Cook) of bringing their 58-0 records into Merrillville and getting wrecked by kids that have 4-6 losses on the year. 2008 would be a prime example when Daniel Young tech-falled Cook 20-5 in the ticket round.

yeah, came into semi state junior year, undefeated, got Churchard in the ticket round. Churchard just "happened" to have a bad day at regionals.

his senior year, undefeated, draws Young in the ticket round.

thats why i hate the way they draw up semi state.

yeah, came into semi state junior year, undefeated, got Churchard in the ticket round. Churchard just "happened" to have a bad day at regionals.

his senior year, undefeated, draws Young in the ticket round.

thats why i hate the way they draw up semi state.

Very Very Very good reason for wrestle backs

They would have added only two match to each weight class, if they added wrestle backs at the ticket round. Instead IHSAA adds 4 matchs and let the regional fourth place in the mix. Simply idiotic IHSAA doesn't realized we complained more for wrestle backs than adding a fourth place finisher. Come to think of I never once heard anyone say "geeesh I sure wish they would let fourth plce move on past Regionals." NEVER

Reason One

Fourth place has little chance to make it past Round one let alone make it to state

Reason Two

The kid just lost twice in one day and is obviously not ready for the next level

You know what Rankingsguy, Anthony has never used being sick as an excuse. And I'm sure that you know his family, so you know darn well that wouldn't even be an option.  A fan made that an excuse for his first loss to Bradley, I don't recall reading  anything about him being sick any other time. I think you are over reacting just a bit.

Clive, this is no knock on Anthony Hawkins whatsoever.  He's a returning state champion, he's tough.  My only complaint is that I've had to hear about how he was sick on all of these different occasions from CP fans.  Apparently sick at the Carnahan, sick when he went to OT with Lenzo, sick when Padilla and Torres kept it close with him, sick at the Team Regional throwing up, that sickness then carried over to Saturday during his second loss to Bradley.  I have no doubt in my mind that these excuses are not coming from Anthony Hawkins or his family, as they'd never make excuses like this.  Ignorant fans making excuses everytime Hawkins doesn't look his best, however, is getting very old and making it easier and easier to root for Bass Lake these next 2 weeks.  That was my only point.  I love when Region kids win state titles, and it's hard to pick against a returning champion, but people like to root against the guy that is having excuses made for him on a public forum.  If anyone follows TheMat.com, the reason Troy Nickerson is now a villain in everyone's eyes is because a character named LIMarty used to talk him up as the second coming of Jesus Christ and this really took away from what an outstanding season he had as a true freshman finishing second in the NCAA's.  Hawkins is a great wrestler and a Region kid, it'd just really be a shame if these CP fans continued making excuses for him and he began becoming the vilain and having people root against him.. That's all I'm saying..

Ok I figured someone would bring this up, but Jacob had two of the worst draws D. Young(eventually 3rd place finisher and a State Champ) and Churchard(eventual State Runner Up). If you wanna go name dropping on past seeger wrestlers we can go right to Eli Cook 2xSQ who Placed fifth 2005 at 160.

He wasnt ripping on seeger wrestlers, he only questioned the strength of their schedule with that comment....Sure you could bring up Eli Cook who had a successful  senior season......But i do agree with the angel...Im sure you could find 8-10 wrestlers that came into the Mville SS with 3 losses or less that sat in the stands at conseco for every 1 Eli Cook....

Didn't Cook get beat 20-5 by Young? Doesn't sound like he was state caliber getting beat that bad.  These schools out in Timbuktu come into semi state with great records but more times than not, end up buying their ticket to Conseco.

Clive, this is no knock on Anthony Hawkins whatsoever.  He's a returning state champion, he's tough.  My only complaint is that I've had to hear about how he was sick on all of these different occasions from CP fans.  Apparently sick at the Carnahan, sick when he went to OT with Lenzo, sick when Padilla and Torres kept it close with him, sick at the Team Regional throwing up, that sickness then carried over to Saturday during his second loss to Bradley.  I have no doubt in my mind that these excuses are not coming from Anthony Hawkins or his family, as they'd never make excuses like this.  Ignorant fans making excuses everytime Hawkins doesn't look his best, however, is getting very old and making it easier and easier to root for Bass Lake these next 2 weeks.  That was my only point.  I love when Region kids win state titles, and it's hard to pick against a returning champion, but people like to root against the guy that is having excuses made for him on a public forum.  If anyone follows TheMat.com, the reason Troy Nickerson is now a villain in everyone's eyes is because a character named LIMarty used to talk him up as the second coming of Jesus Christ and this really took away from what an outstanding season he had as a true freshman finishing second in the NCAA's.  Hawkins is a great wrestler and a Region kid, it'd just really be a shame if these CP fans continued making excuses for him and he began becoming the vilain and having people root against him.. That's all I'm saying..

Dis time of the year them bugs run rampid at schools/ throw in cuttin a few lbs you can be sick for a while. I know dat da flu this year is nast first hand/ hek it helped me on my new years resultion cause it was a 10 lbs flu for the rat.

Hawkins has his work cut out for him but Im sure popa hawk and Vlink will have him  firin on all gears when it counts

3 picks for coppinger even though he's been wrecked by his ticket round opponent adam garcia twice already in the last month? i'll also take rodriguez of highland over preston of logansport against the majority opinion.

i lost 3-4 my first match against garcia 12/9/09 PHSvsMHS dual

2-12 1/16/10 DAC i made a mistake went to my back it happens didnt know i was wrecked now

He wasnt ripping on seeger wrestlers, he only questioned the strength of their schedule with that comment....Sure you could bring up Eli Cook who had a successful  senior season......But i do agree with the angel...Im sure you could find 8-10 wrestlers that came into the Mville SS with 3 losses or less that sat in the stands at conseco for every 1 Eli Cook....

I understand where you are going with this, but I did mention that with the whole RPI talk, guess it didn't through. What I wan't to get accross is that Jordan is underrated, in my opinion. Like I said before he wins (most important stat of all), he has wrestled in every dual and every tournament. I would have to say that Tom has done a great job of improve the stregnth of schedule of the years. But wrestling is wrestling ait doesn't matter who is on the mat. The way some of you guys are making it sound as if Jake never beat a quality opponent, which is simply not true.

i lost 3-4 my first match against garcia 12/9/09 PHSvsMHS dual

2-12 1/16/10 DAC i made a mistake went to my back it happens didnt know i was wrecked now

Yep. Thats what happened, Completely wrecked. I don't even know why you'd bother to wrestle him. You stand no chance at all.

-Don't worry about what people say on the board B-Cop. Go out there and prove it saturday morning. I'll be there watching and rooting you on all the way.

Good Luck Man.

I wouldn't say Jordan Hicks is underrated he is currently ranked 3 in the Merrillville Semi State but like I said Dusty Schurg is wrestling very tough i hope it is a good match. I think Seeger needs to come up north more Maybe the Harvest Classic, Carnhan or Tricoff invite then we wouldnt have this conversation   

Champions Bolded

103 Petrov, Overby, Stevens, Brooks

112 Ayersman, Preston, Beck, Coppinger

119 Gregory, Hawkins, Bradley, Escobedo

125 Napules, Hicks, Wisler, Petrov

130 Son, Tsirtsis, Schrader, Clark

135 Wartman, Maruccilli, Grayson, Guerra

140 Flemme, Porras, Bradley, Manbu

145 Hodge, Lunford, Surma, Roach

152 Schultz, Lynde, Hill, Stahl

160 McMurray, White, Vlahos, Quiroz

171 Wiseman, Jurczak, Morin, Bell

189 Fowler, Atwood, Hurford, King

215 Cleveland, Anderson, Lentz, Summer

285 Travis, Thomas, Trappani, Howe

Didn't Cook get beat 20-5 by Young? Doesn't sound like he was state caliber getting beat that bad.  These schools out in Timbuktu come into semi state with great records but more times than not, end up buying their ticket to Conseco.

...Yes Cook was beat 20-5 by Young. I know Young did go on to get 3rd place, but heck who says Cook would have even beaten Smith from Munster who had like 10 or 11 losses and lost to Young in round 1 of that semi state by a significantly closer margin than the 20-5 TF

brooks

petrov

overby

stevens

beck

ayersman

garcia

rodriguez

gregory

hawkins

bradley

escobedo

napules

petrov

wisler

hicks

tsirstsis

schrader

son

clark

guerra

wartman

greyson

acuna

porras

brady

manbu

brown

roach

lunford

surma

hodge

lynde

stahl

schultz

hill

vlahos

mcmurray

quiroz

white

wiseman

morin

molebash

jurczak

atwood

hunford

fowler

andrews

lentz

cleveland

sumner

seaman

travis

huizar

thomas

trappani

103-Brooks

Petrov

Stevens

Overby

112-Beck

Ayersman

Garcia

Rodriguez

119-Hawkins

Bradley

Gregory

Escobedo

125-Napules

Petrov

Wisler

Schurg

130-Tsirtsis

Schrader

Clark

Son

135-Schurg

Acuna

Wartman

Grayson

140-Porras

Brady

Flamme

Manbu

145-Roach

Lunford

Surma

Jackson

152-Lynde

Stahl

Schultz

Garvey

160-McMurray

Vlahos

Quiroz

White

171-Wiseman

Morin

Bell

Jurczak

189-Atwood

King

Fowler

Berdine

215-Cleveland

Lentz

Seaman

Sumner

285-Travis

Howe

Thomas

Nixon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.