Thanks Trent McCormick

throwforfive

Well, just got the news that Bobby Cox like Coach McCormick's idea to insert pigtail matches with the kids from Winchester against the #4 from the same Jay County Regional prior to the first round matches. This match will determine who gets actually in to the round of 16. Thanks Trent, obvioulsy people don't always see what is really going on. I would say this is a first for Winchester, 9 semi-state qualifiers. I guess coach will be posting anytime to thank you!

It does not suprise me that both Trent McCormik, as VP, and Cael Hoover as Pres. were working hard to find a solution to this mess. Both of these men have done nothing but try to treat everyone in the wrestling community fair and equally. I have met and known both for quite a few years and for them to do anything other would be the suprise. I am also sure they were not the only ones trying to resolve this, and for everyone working behind the scenes, I offer a thank you to you as well.

That is fantastic news.  I'm sure all these young men wanted was their shot to advance, and now it sounds like they shall have it.

Thank goodness all this mess can hopefully be put behind, and won't leave a dark cloud over this year's tournament.  A big THANK YOU to all of the people involved in getting these additional matches agreed to and setup.

I will say that this is nice and I commend Coach McCormick for doing what he could and going out of his way to try amd make a wrong a right.  Especially considering he did not have to do this.  He stepped up and actually did something about the situation.

However, is having the wrestler who placed 4th wrestle a "wrestle in" match really fair.  What exactly did that young man do to deserve this?  I am not knocking anything, just that a wrong as big as the one at JC will have ripple effects no matter how we try and fix it.  This does though, allow everyone an opportunity to compete, and that is really all anyone can ask for.

Once again, Coach McCormick I applaud you for standing up and taking action.  You have demonstrated leadership and a true sense of caring for the wrestling community.  You looked for solutions and then made them  a reality.  Your actions and time are appreaciated.

Thank you,

AJ Bradley

littlevito,

My initial understanding is there will be 14 pigtail matches. I am figuring all the #4 finishers will wrestle a Monroe Central, Union City, Winchester kid to get to the round of 16.

AJ, nice comments from you. As far as "fair", I think we have lost sight of the true definition. How about we just settle for reasonable.

To IHSAA, Thank you for the BONE you tossed to the Individuals you screwed.  However, this is only a bone with NO meat on it. As I glance over the brackets one in particular stands out that, in my opinion really stinks.  Take a look at 215, you have a young man that would have been the odds on favorite to win his regional and setting himself up for good chance to advance to the state finals, but now he has the opportunity to wrestle for 4th place finish, and luck would have it places him against the young man who is the odds on favorite to win Semi-State.  While this does present these individuals with an opportunity to wrestle, it still takes away their FAIR opportunity to compete like everyone else did on Saturday for an opportunity to "set-themselves" up for better odds on advancement.  Also, how fair is this to the Regional champ waiting in the wings to wrestle a 4th place finisher, now he finds himself wreslting the "BEST" kid for another regional who did NOT loss a match in the process of finishing 4th.  

I don't know if there is a fair solution to this debacle.  Like I said, this is just a bone with no meat on it.  Here is an idea, why can't the individuals who did not get a chance to wrestle Saturday wreslte a "rat-tail" with the highest finisher from the Delta sectional that they beat at Sectional??? This way Chalfant can have a rat-rail match against Neff to see who really deserves to be there and Winchester's 160 lber can have a "rat'tail" match against the Muncie Centeral kid??????  Maybe not a good idea but one that will truely give the kids a shot at what they did have Saturday?

beachbum21,

You obviously never talked to anyone there Saturday at the meet? Scott Neff of Yorktown looked outstanding. He pinned a highly ranked Bultemeir of Bellmont and then beat a great Seth Biberstine of Southern Wells in the finals. I feel he deserved his title. Winchester kids getting the opportunity was suppose to be the focus. Good luck to all the Randolph County kids that now can consider themselves semi-state qualifiers.

No offense to Scott Neff, but he did not get the chance to wrestle Chalfant for the title.  I mean if this situation happend to Yorktown would you say that Farote won the title at 135?  I wouldn't but thats me.  This not only hurts wrestlers who would have placed highly at regionals it also hurts the individuals who won there respective regionals if they draw some of these tougher opponents. 

I never said he  did not deserve the title on Saturday.  He must have looked and wrestled great. But he did not have to beat the same kid that beat him the week before, and that kid did not get a fair chance to compete.  Like I said, this lame attempt by the IHSAA is feeble at best to try and salavage an un-salvageable situation.  I was just throwing out an option that might better reflect an outcome from what "could have been"..... Like I said in my post, there may not be a fair solution and this MAY not be a good idea.  

thanks to everyone who supported the Randolph county student athletes. in this matter.  All i ever wanted was for these students to have a shot at what that earned.  

i want to admit that Saturday morning while things were unfolding that i was in total disbelief.  my family has been involved in wrestling in the state for many years and i have personally involved in wrestling in this county and state since 1976 in one form or another. . i was never a state champion nor did i even make it the state finals. i am the one who was pleading for everyone to leave. i understand why everyone  stayed did not leave due to the uncertainty of the outcome.  i felt that everything the sport that i have supported and love was being jeopardized. i had contacted news centers while it was all unfolding not thinking that anything could be done. it was my last effort to support the kids. i do not even have a son competing but still it just did not feel right in my heart to just st back and let this all continue. after wrestling started Saturday i felt like i had failed. not only for the kids but also the sport, my county, and state. then this morning i was contacted by Rick Hightower who made the journey to Winchester this morning to cover the situation.  Now the few of us who showed voiced our honest opinions in this situation. Like i said i am very thankful for all the support. I  PERSONALLY HAVE JEOPARDIZED MY JOB OF 20 YEARS TO STAND UP FOR THESE KIDS. I DID NOT GO TO WORK TODAY. I also know if i do lose my job in my heart i have done the right thing. i expect to catch a lot of slack from others in this matter and will man up for what i believe is right. i also know that i will somehow most likely be pursued in one form or another from those who disagreed with contacting the media and i will man up to this also. Just remember one thing. I fought for these kids and did not quit. Why because the sport of wrestling has taught me life lessons. to work hard, have dedication, and to not ever ever give up.

thanks again,

Shane T. Jones

be humble, walk humble and respect the talents that god has given you

AJ, nice comments from you. As far as "fair", I think we have lost sight of the true definition. How about we just settle for reasonable.

Reasonable is something that people should be able to accept.  I agree that it is a reasonable solution.

I've known Trent for about 11 years, not once in that time have I seen any reason to question the mans integrity. He is relentless in working to improve and help the wrestling community in IN, both at the high school and club levels. All who were questioning him earlier need to get to know the man.

I think we can all agree that NO solution (even re-wrestling the Regional) would have been perfect; however, a concerted effort has been put forth to make a reasonable decision, one that will undoubtedly have a ripple effect, but one that will give those wrestlers who were unable to compete at least a chance to advance...which is more than they had 3 hours ago.  No matter what decision was made, there would have been someone, somewhere that thought it still wasn't fair.  It's not fair folks, but given the situation, it was the best they could do.  Man up boys...you've got your shot...good luck this week-end!!

I hate to be this guy since I already apologized to Trent, but if he couldn't have made the decision on Saturday I am sure he had no say in the desicion to allow these kids there opportunity to wrestle.  We should give credit where credit is due.  We ridiculed Mr Cox for the decision on Saturday and I will at least give him a little credit for an attempt to make up for it.  That being said Mr Cox dropped the ball on this. 

Giving those Randolph County wrestlers an opportunity to compete and have a chance is probably the best that could be done at this point. Those who made efforts today to represent those wrestlers and make this change happen should certainly be recognized and commended.

HOWEVER, I hope no one forgets that several educated people in leadership positions (both at the local and state levels)ultimately made, allowed, & supported the decision to run that event w/o all the participants present last Saturday.

I truly wish I could say I am both disgusted and surprised at what occured last Saturday at Jay County High School. Unfortunately, I can only honestly say I'm disgusted......not surprised.