What about the other Jay County teams?

NickS

I am not a high school coach, but have spent alot of time around the sport. What I would love to to hear from some of the coaches that were in the room as to what happened and why it happened. I want them to tell us how they came to the conclusions that they did, and how they would feel if it was their team that this happened to. I am not going to fault the coaches for putting thier kids on the mat, they do have to wrestle if told this is it, but how much of a fight, or what kind of discussions were there before they got to the point of putting kids on the mat.

Ah, yes.  My lack of foresight (and apparently, in your opinion,  of all the other coaches at the regional) is the issue here.

One of the issues, yes.  The IHSAA, Jay County administration, and maybe Trent McCormick will all be held accountable as well.  There can be multiple levels of blame to be put across, to not bring up all the variables would be foolish and irresponsible.

All I am saying if the report is true which was said by a reputable source, I think we have to second guess the man.  Its enough to talk about. He has more poll then any coach at the tournement.  He directly talks with the IHSAA and probably has Bobby Cox on speed dial.  He knew as well as anyone that there would be an uproar.  Blame can be placed all over but I am not going to let one man off the hook just because he has a good team.  I was at the tournement and I heard from three seperate people that this was the case.  So you can stick up for him or whatever thats fine, but he needs to know with great power comes responsibility.  I am sure most of the IHSWCA members from that part of the state helped vote him in, and they need to be represented as much as anyone else.  So back off me for caring for the health of our sport.

I'm glad you care, cause I do to. I think what happened today is wrong. But attacking a mans character without knowing the entire story is also wrong. If he has Bobby Cox's on speed dial you sure he didn't call him.

One of the issues, yes.  The IHSAA, Jay County administration, and maybe Trent McCormick will all be held accountable as well.  There can be multiple levels of blame to be put across, to not bring up all the variables would be foolish and irresponsible.

It just stuns me that people would want to blame the coaches who were able to make it to JC with  their kids.  I understand the anger and bitterness the wrestling communities of the schools affected are feeling, but c'mon.  It's easy to sit back and say "Well, I would certainly do THIS if given the opportunity", but how you would act with a dozen of your wrestlers staring at you, holding their hopes and dreams in your hands,  is a different story.

I am not a high school coach, but have spent alot of time around the sport. What I would love to to hear from some of the coaches that were in the room as to what happened and why it happened. I want them to tell us how they came to the conclusions that they did, and how they would feel if it was their team that this happened to. I am not going to fault the coaches for putting thier kids on the mat, they do have to wrestle if told this is it, but how much of a fight, or what kind of discussions were there before they got to the point of putting kids on the mat.

This is fair.  I think I'm mostly irritated because it appears that Bellmont is the only team that stood up against the injustice.  I want to know what the other coaches were thinking when Bellmont stepped to the plate?  Did everyone else really not say anything to defend the absent schools?  Judging by the Jay County's upcoming schedule for the following week.  There is NO REASON why they couldn't have moved around those other events, or have found a way to make it work.  It was just that they were lazy and didn't want to put in any critical thinking.

I will be the first to say I do not know if he called him.  If he did he should have been able to explain the situation it is a no brainer.  If you do not change the regional date you will have people calling your office and lawsuits at your door on monday morning.  This was poor decision making and poor leadership by people who are suppose to be leaders.  In my opinion Trent McCormick has a position of power and should be accountable.  He works directly with the organizations and your telling me he can not sway them from making a terrible decision.  Y2 always says if we left it up to the kids they would have recess all day and drink soda pop for lunch.  Today we would have had better leadership from the kids then we got from the adults.  Truly a shame.  Once again terrible sorry to those individuals that missed an opportunity to compete.  These are times you can never get back and to take that away because of scheduling is absolute bs.  

Absolutly wcs.  If McCormicks team was stuck in Yorktown and this went on do you think people would be in more of an uproar.  I absolutly know they would.  I am not for frivalous law suits but I say go for it on this one.  This was a flat out denial by the state against these individuals.  It shouldn't matter if it were just one wrestler or a whole team.  Bobby Cox said there was 86 percent of the wrestlers there.  I say there was 12 % unable to compete for no reason but time.  Trent McCorminck, Bobby Cox, and the rest of these people should be stripped of there positions.  Bellmont and Faurote were late because of weather made it all the way down there and still had the guts to say it wasn't right.  Thats character.  That a man and a team I would stand behind and fight for.  Thats a quality program year in and year out and you can tell why.  They are lead by a true man of integrity.

??? Only 98% allowed to compete. That's odd!?!?

It just stuns me that people would want to blame the coaches who were able to make it to JC with  their kids.  I understand the anger and bitterness the wrestling communities of the schools affected are feeling, but c'mon.  It's easy to sit back and say "Well, I would certainly do THIS if given the opportunity", but how you would act with a dozen of your wrestlers staring at you, holding their hopes and dreams in your hands,  is a different story.

While I do agree that it would've been a tough decision to make.  However, that's what life's like.  The right choices aren't always easy, and the easy choices aren't always right.  Sure, for most of those coaches, the easy choice was to not say anything and pawn it off as that's just tough luck for Winchester and Co.  Does that make them bad people?  Absolutely not.  However, it doesn't mean they were right in their choice.

Yeah I am not real good at math but you should get the point.  This is about the kids and even if one kid was not able to compete in this circumstance it is one to many.  Thanks for picking at me though.

I do not blame the coaches for wrestling thier wrestlers, but I do blame them for not at least disscussing it.  Belmont stepped up and others backed down thats fine, but Trent McCormick is not just a coach he is the VP for the IHSWCA.  He had a chance to step up and he just let it happen.  He seems like a nice guy but just because your nice doesn't mean your cut out to serve the wrestling community.  Today I think shows we have to at least question him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.