Trine @ Conference Meet

Congrats to the Trine Thunder on winning their conference meet today at Wabash. I left before the end, but I know they won the team, and Trace Hall won the 149 pound class in a thrilling 3-1 overtime win over Wabash college wrestler John Dillon. Nick Odom wnet 3-1 and came in 3rd at 149 was awarded the most pins plaque with 3 falls on the day. (sorry, he is my son, so a shameless plug is not out of line for me.)

Nick Odom has done a good job this year! Correction though-Trace actually pinned Johnny Dillon in overtime.   

George Markou, Nick Kraus, and Alex Fleet also won championships

Thank you Nick, left before all the weights were done. Congrats to the team for winning their 1sr mid states championship

From the Trine web site.

2.7 - Thunder Claim Mid-States Tournament Title

Crawfordsville, Ind. - Twentieth-ranked Trine scored a 17 point win over Wabash to claim the Mid-States Tournament title Saturday at Wabash College. The Thunder took first place scoring 150 points, Wabash finished with 132.5. Olivet 129, Mount Saint Joseph 95.5 and Manchester 68.5 rounded out the competition.

Next up for the Thunder is the NCAA Division III Midwest Regional February 20 at Delaware Valley College in Doylestown, Pa. The event is a qualifier for the NCAA Division III National Championship.

Trace Hall (149, South Bend, Ind./Riley) George Markou (165, Peru, Ind./Peru), Nick Kraus (184, Rolling Prairie, Ind./New Prairie) and Alex Fleet (197, Lowell, Mich./Lowell) claimed individual championships.

Three Thunder wrestlers finished second: Ryan Pieper (174, Onsted, Mich./Onsted), Dylan Forbes (285, Wolcottville, Ind./Prairie Heights) and Thomas Pompei  (141, Fishers, Ind./Hamilton Southeastern) .

Nick Odom (Indianapolis, Ind./Warren Central) finished third in 149. He also recorded three pins, in seven minutes, 52 seconds to win the most falls, least time award. Will Sheets (Decatur, Ind./Bellmont) was fourth at 133. Henry Waring (Avilla, Ind./East Noble) finished fifth at 165.

?It?s what we wanted out of it. Our kids wrestled well. They are progressing at the rate we want them to, " Trine Head Coach Dan Callahan said. ?We?ve got a week of hard training ahead and the week after that we?ll be putting the final touches in as we get ready for the regional.?

Eight freshmen and another sophomore placed, in addition to many of Trine stand-by's.

?"We?ve shown some depth. Our young wrestlers did well. Nick and Trace they?ve been wrestling well. I knew Trace was good. He lived-up to my expectations. (Up till now) he hasn?t been able to break our lineup. Given the opportunity, they took advantage of it,? Callahan said.

Callahan was also named Mid-States Coach of the Year by a vote of conference coaches.

?It?s always a goal. You do your best and work will hard. We have a great coaching staff. But, we have great wrestlers and it?s always about them. It?s a team award. It has something to do with coaching, but its more about putting together a team and a program, and that?s what I am proud of.?