wrestlers season ended right before regionals

hammer91

heres what happened..... for some reason a school (cant say the name) was having middle school prac the same time as high school. the 2 teams (middle and high) warm up at the same time. a middle school boy was walking (when they were supposed to be running) 2 of the high school wrestlers ran by the kid, smacked him on  the rear and said "get to runnin boy". the next day the the 2 high school boys were called down to the office and there was a metting with the parents of the 3 kids, the principal and the athletic dirrector(while the boys watched wrestling practice. the high school boys parents thought the school was way outta line do dish out such a hard punishment for such i lillte "crime." the 2 boys (who were sectional runners up(one loosing to a highly state ranked kid in the finals) were told they had to not only leave the wrestling room, but to leave the school and were kicked off the wrestling team for the remainder of the year. does the punishment fit the crime?  ???

It's hard to say.  You just never know how the "smack" and the comment could have been perceived by others in the room, including the middle school "victim".  Could it have possibly been perceived as bullying??  Had the middle schooler had problems being harrassed by these high school wrestlers before?  Had these high school wrestlers harrassed others before?

Sometimes, you just never know the full story when you aren't there.  More and more schools are cracking down on anything they perceive as bullying... so this could be one of those instances.

I have no idea.... just playin' the devil's advocate.

It's hard to say.  You just never know how the "smack" and the comment could have been perceived by others in the room, including the middle school "victim".  Could it have possibly been perceived as bullying??  Had the middle schooler had problems being harrassed by these high school wrestlers before?  Had these high school wrestlers harrassed others before?

Sometimes, you just never know the full story when you aren't there.  More and more schools are cracking down on anything they perceive as bullying... so this could be one of those instances.

I have no idea.... just playin' the devil's advocate.

That's very true. If it happened just as reported and there was no previous problem with them it was too harsh. But we may not have all the details.

I have a jr high wrestler and I appreciate the high school wrestlers "pushing" him.  He expects it also.  I understand we may not have the whole story, but if it happened as you say, if it were my son it would never have went to the administration.  Wrestlers more than any other sport are a close knit bunch of kids, or at least they are supposed to be. 

I think im actually pretty close to this story... Never heard this side of it, Rumor is "Hazing". Not sure on what kind of hazing and im not going to name any names but i think the assistant coach got fired for it too.

??? Brett Favre smacks all kinds of behinds and he doesnt get in trouble...

I want to hear the full story though...

heres what happened..... for some reason a school (cant say the name) was having middle school prac the same time as high school. the 2 teams (middle and high) warm up at the same time. a middle school boy was walking (when they were supposed to be running) 2 of the high school wrestlers ran by the kid, smacked him on  the rear and said "get to runnin boy". the next day the the 2 high school boys were called down to the office and there was a metting with the parents of the 3 kids, the principal and the athletic dirrector(while the boys watched wrestling practice. the high school boys parents thought the school was way outta line do dish out such a hard punishment for such i lillte "crime." the 2 boys (who were sectional runners up(one loosing to a highly state ranked kid in the finals) were told they had to not only leave the wrestling room, but to leave the school and were kicked off the wrestling team for the remainder of the year. does the punishment fit the crime?  ???

OMGsh!!!  Maybe the parents of the jr high boy need to put a dress on him and make him a cheerleader.  That is what wrestlers do, they push each other so they get better.  My son wrestles and he pushes the jr. high kids to put forth their best effort.  For one thing they don't want to run as a team because one kid is not putting forth much effort.  I for one do not think the punishment fit the crime.  I think it is ridiculous the way it ended up.  Tell you what in a few years that jr high kid won't be any better than he is right now, because his parents are turning him into a wuss.

I cannot answer your question but want to know if there will be substitutes wrestling in their place at regionals?

ff

Not to mention that last minute substitutes will still have to make weight...(and I get that they know that they are a possiblity to slip in, ever since they earned their 5th place, but it still could be a challenge)

It bothers me that grown adults on this site are not backing the administrators and parents in this situation.  Everyday I deal with both adults and teenagers who feel like the system screwed them over.  It was somebody else's fault.  Even as they are being taken to jail and/or prison, they can't admit that they did something wrong.  Then I see letters they write asking for another chance.  All the while still not taking acceptance for their actions.

Regardless of what happened here.  Agree or disagree with the situaton.  Agree or disagree with the decision of the administrators.  We as adults have to teach our children that they have to accept the decision of authority figures.  Don't make excuses.  Don't blame someone else.  Say you are sorry and accept the consequence.  Like it or not.  Some day you will have a boss that makes a decision for you.  Maybe you don't agree with it.  You can either accept it or start collecting unemployment.  That is life.

Would it have been worse if the parents called the police and pressed charges for battery?  Maybe the kids would have still gotten to wrestle then. 

Telling a middle school wrestler to go out for cheerleading because he got smacked on the back by a high school kid who may have been 100lbs bigger than him is about as dumb as smacking a younger kid on the back.  Encouragement is great!  Being a role model is great.  Smacking a kid who is probably just getting his feet wet in a very difficult sport is an act of poor judgement. 

It bothers me that grown adults on this site are not backing the administrators and parents in this situation.  Everyday I deal with both adults and teenagers who feel like the system screwed them over.  It was somebody else's fault.  Even as they are being taken to jail and/or prison, they can't admit that they did something wrong.  Then I see letters they write asking for another chance.  All the while still not taking acceptance for their actions.

Regardless of what happened here.  Agree or disagree with the situaton.  Agree or disagree with the decision of the administrators.  We as adults have to teach our children that they have to accept the decision of authority figures.  Don't make excuses.  Don't blame someone else.  Say you are sorry and accept the consequence.  Like it or not.  Some day you will have a boss that makes a decision for you.  Maybe you don't agree with it.  You can either accept it or start collecting unemployment.  That is life.

Would it have been worse if the parents called the police and pressed charges for battery?  Maybe the kids would have still gotten to wrestle then. 

Telling a middle school wrestler to go out for cheerleading because he got smacked on the back by a high school kid who may have been 100lbs bigger than him is about as dumb as smacking a younger kid on the back.  Encouragement is great!  Being a role model is great.  Smacking a kid who is probably just getting his feet wet in a very difficult sport is an act of poor judgement. 

Wahoo for you

Agree totally, but there has to be more to the story. Sounds like they were picking on the wrong MS wrestler. :(

The boy however needs to be aware life is hard  and people are going to be "mean or knock him in the back side" all his life suck it up and get a clue. Sometimes Mommy & Daddy forget they need to let the kids grow up. ::)

So what you are saying is if a couple of 18 or 19 year olds slapped one of your kids around you would tell your child to "suck it up and be tough."  Good luck with the twins mom...  Hope you don't also teach them that it is ok to retaliate when they are being picked on too.

What I would like is alot more information, How hard was the slap, did it leave marks, or was it a playful slap upside the head. There are so many unanswered items here to be able to agree or disagree with anything. Were the 2 high schoolers in trouble alot, or was this a 1st time for them, is the middle schooler a kid, or parents with a history of filing complaints, or is this a 1st for them as well. No way any of us can make a choice with the info provided.

As far as blindly following the school administration, I will NEVER make that mistake again. I have seen way to many situations where the school system simply checks the handy dandy all everything book, and never actually looks at the kids involved, and the circumstances. They blindly follow the zero tolerance book, and do whatever it says. If you as a parent dont go in and fight for your kid, the school that is supposed to have their and all the other kids under their watchful eye, will do whatever they can to get rid of them simply because they cant, or wont think for themselves. Are they afraid to actully have to make a choice and think dfor themselves, or is it just easier to pass the responsibility on to the school board.

And before any of you start in on me, I know 1st hand that this can and will happen. Well, at least thats how they do it in  Warren Township

If I had called the police or went to the school system everytime my son was hit on the butt when he was practicing with the high school, I wouldn't have got anything else done.  My son is a better wrestler because of the high school kids that took the time with him when he was in junior high.  The point is wrestling is a difficult sport and to be better you have to push yourself.  Maybe the parents should have talked to the coach first to see what really happened in the wrestling room, because you can bet your bottom dollar, their kid was probably ticked off because he was embarrassed because he got called out for not working as hard as he should have been.  Kids are going to tell their parents one thing to make them look like they weren't the ones at fault.  All I know is 2 kids wrestling careers were cut short for something that could have been handled between the parents, wrestlers and the coach.

There does need to be a lot more information but some arguements are based on the HS kids taking responsibility for there actions and respecting the authority's (admin in this case) decision. Isn't it the same for the MS kids. Shouldn't they take responsiblity for their actions (not running when told to do so) and respecting the authority of the varsity wrestler?  Some may say that a varsity wrestler does not have authority over a MS kid but it is the same principle.

However you look at it it's very unfortunate for everyone involved. 

Well it is a different time that these kids are in. Hate to sound like an old guy, but when I wrestled if I did something wrong, my coach would yell and embarass the heck out of me. Now days it seems that you cant even do that, as a coach,it seems, you have to be a little more considerate with the kids "feelings". It seems like this trend is only going to get worse as time goes on. This does make it hard for coaches to motivate and push kids in a sport in which such qualities are needed to make a champion. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.