Team State...

mykidgrapples

How do you seed it?

Where do you put Yorktown and how do you possibly justify this seeding?

Let's just say Reitz, MD, and Castle weren't from the same bracket and all made the state tourney.  Reitz beat MD, MD beat Castle, and Castle beat Reitz.  How do you seed them?

I believe Indiana mat rankings are done by a man and are his opinions and are fun for us to play around with. What oligarchy would be put in charge of seeding them?  Would the coaches do it?  Do tournament results factor in?  or just duals?  

I'm a Castle fan.  We lost to Mish and PM and MD.  We avenged the earlier loss to MD by a large margin.  We finished behind Yorktown in a tourney.  A tourny is not a dual.  How can you seed us below YT?  Our strength of schedule is way past YT.  How can YT not be seeded #1?  They are undefeated.  Do you flip a coin with MISH?

It is absolutely impossible to seed the tourny.  The team that wrestles the best throughout the day will win on the 27th.  This team will also probably be the best wrestling team in the state.

Lets say that they did want to seed it, it probably would be seeded much like an individual trny would be seeded.  I think it would probably look something like this in term of seeding criteria:

1. Overall Dual Meet Record

2. Common Opponents

3. Strength of Schedule

4. Placing in Individual tournamnets

There are also other things to take into consideration as well but I think that would be a good place to start.

If it was in a dual I would say yes.  When they seed a sectional do they just discount those matches that a kid when a kid may have wrestled another kid from a different state?  No those are added in too so I see no difference when it comes to a team as well.

Many teams in sectionals do not face each other throughout the year as well.  It just depends on the sectional that they are placed in.  I know in the Hamilton Heights Sectional Noblesville may have wrestled one or two teams there.  I think that Crown Point may have only wrestled one or two teams there as well.  The thing is that if you set up the criteria right you follow the criteria and that should settle the arguments for you and then you would have a seeded state.  It really is not rocket science and trust me I have sat through enough seeding meetings to know that.

How do you seed it?

Where do you put Yorktown and how do you possibly justify this seeding?

Let's just say Reitz, MD, and Castle weren't from the same bracket and all made the state tourney.  Reitz beat MD, MD beat Castle, and Castle beat Reitz.  How do you seed them?

I believe Indiana mat rankings are done by a man and are his opinions and are fun for us to play around with. What oligarchy would be put in charge of seeding them?  Would the coaches do it?  Do tournament results factor in?  or just duals?  

I'm a Castle fan.  We lost to Mish and PM and MD.  We avenged the earlier loss to MD by a large margin.  We finished behind Yorktown in a tourney.  A tourny is not a dual.  How can you seed us below YT?  Our strength of schedule is way past YT.  How can YT not be seeded #1?  They are undefeated.  Do you flip a coin with MISH?

It is absolutely impossible to seed the tourny.  The team that wrestles the best throughout the day will win on the 27th.  This team will also probably be the best wrestling team in the state.

Yorktown lost to South Bend Clay.  So they are not undefeated.  Which would make Misahawaka the #1 seed if it were by records with a 27-0 record.  I do not believe that their is another undefeated team at State. 

That's a good question.  Not entirely sure how it would work.  Head to head, results against common opponents are the only two ways I can think of that would be somewhat fair.  Then again not everyone agrees with that.  Good thing I don't have to make that decision.. Haha

There's so much controversy in seeding individuals, can you imagine what it would be like to seed entire teams?  And there would ALWAYS be somebody complaining about where someone got seeded.  IMO, leave it the way it is.  Only one team is going to be the best on that day.  And they'll have to beat whoever is on the mat with them.  Only way to decide it is on the mat.

All Points taken. I would go with the suggestion we seed using the same criteria as something like the Al Smith. Hell, we could use the "genius ranking system" at the regional level to start and then let a panel of coaches pound it out in good ole' seeding meeting This panel should consist of the 8 finalist as well as a mix of  knowledgeable wrestling experts' These could come from several areas. Anything would be better than drawing names out of a hat, which relies on chance. Why are people so afraid of debate? Do you think every thing in life should be as easy as drawing your outcome in life from a hat. To me that is stupid. If we are going to keep the system the way it is, then at least stop  handing out "RED" rings for runner up and medals for third and fourth. Who would disagree that Perry was not #1 or #2 in 2006 and 2008  only to be knocked out in the first round due to the Lucky Duck draw system. When they have finished in the final match they were not the # 1 or #2 team but got there by way of chance draw. I guess we could just go back to the old way. That is how the NCAA decides who is champion and no one complains. There is a great deal of complacency with regard to who could work for this change.It comes down to this, we should stop complaining about bad draws and stop handing out awards for 2nd through 8th and just crown the state champion as the IHSAA claims is its goal or we should change it. Let us just be honest about the runner up awards issue.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.