Class or Classless

fearless fly

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lets not go into this anymore, all this bickering makes my ears hurt  :'(

Believe me I wanted to make it a poll only but did not see that option. Maybe all can just vote and not comment...that would be great!!!

Yeah its a bunch of bs that Y2 has any say in the matter.  he runs the website he can prolly change the polling numbers.  I would be weary of him with this website, he clearly has an agenda with class wrestling.

Yeah because it is life or death we are talking about.

Yeah its a bunch of bs that Y2 has any say in the matter.  he runs the website he can prolly change the polling numbers.  I would be weary of him with this website, he clearly has an agenda with class wrestling.

I think this topic was the start of my down fall last year, Y2's only agenda is to bring the wrestling fans what they want ( website) and do what he can do for the wrestling community.Thanks Y2 and after wrestling in some dual matches last off season in Mich. and Ill. I do not think  class wrestling would hurt it might actually bring more kids out. I still don't know about this, good arguement though you guy's have at it.

I just cant wrap my mind around having multiple individual state champs.  I think saying that you were a state champ is being the best in the state. You do not know for sure if you are the best if 3 people are given the title as "state champ".

I think there should be classes for team state. It would provide small schools more time to wrestle and also give love to smaller schools. That would maybe increase there rosters too. Only problem with that is the private schools like EMD and cathedral. Both of them are smaller schools but normally rank in the top 25.

I just cant wrap my mind around having multiple individual state champs.  I think saying that you were a state champ is being the best in the state. You do not know for sure if you are the best if 3 people are given the title as "state champ".

I think there should be classes for team state. It would provide small schools more time to wrestle and also give love to smaller schools. That would maybe increase there rosters too. Only problem with that is the private schools like EMD and cathedral. Both of them are smaller schools but normally rank in the top 25.

How is it any different if 3 teams call themselves state champs(approximately 60+ wrestlers compared to 20 in a single class) or if three kids at 103lbs call themselves state champions?

This is the oldest, and worst argument against class wrestling.  Just because you win state at a certain weight, it doesn't guarantee that you are the best kid at that weight in the state, it just says that you had the best 2 days at the state tournament of anybody in your class.  What about the guy that wins a state title, but loses the following week at Team State while wrestling in the same class?  Isn't the guy that beat him better, since he beat him?

NoClass.jpg

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

I wore one of those pins once at Conseco. Next morning ended up in the hospital for 10 days. Haven't worn it since. True story!!!

Personally - and remember, I played basketball in high school - classes killed the sport. Attendance is down - and hasn't recovered - in hoops, and if wrestling were to go to a class system, logistically I think it would be a nightmare. To me, the dream of beating the bigger team is the ultimate prize. The upset specials, the blindsided victories, that's what make wrestling so special. The seeding makes sense, but it still takes the will and the want to execute and win.  While a class sytem would surely crown more champions, and thus gain more interest in the sport, I think it would hurt the sport as a whole. Again, that's just my opinion and isn't worth very much. I like having a true state champion.

My thoughts to fix basketball: Have a class sectional, then feed them into a uniclass regional run. The folks were always griping because Huntington North was always the favorite geographically in our sectional. Ok, crown a class sectional champion, then open it up and see who is THE best in the regional. Keeps the small-school mentality alive.

Personally - and remember, I played basketball in high school - classes killed the sport. Attendance is down - and hasn't recovered - in hoops, and if wrestling were to go to a class system, logistically I think it would be a nightmare. To me, the dream of beating the bigger team is the ultimate prize. The upset specials, the blindsided victories, that's what make wrestling so special. The seeding makes sense, but it still takes the will and the want to execute and win.  While a class sytem would surely crown more champions, and thus gain more interest in the sport, I think it would hurt the sport as a whole. Again, that's just my opinion and isn't worth very much. I like having a true state champion.

My thoughts to fix basketball: Have a class sectional, then feed them into a uniclass regional run. The folks were always griping because Huntington North was always the favorite geographically in our sectional. Ok, crown a class sectional champion, then open it up and see who is THE best in the regional. Keeps the small-school mentality alive.

Attendance was dwindling BEFORE they went to class basketball.  What do you attribute that to?

The basketball state finals sell out every year, wrestling does not.

Attendance was dwindling BEFORE they went to class basketball.  What do you attribute that to?

The basketball state finals sell out every year, wrestling does not.

The small school cycle. Sometimes athletes just aren't there. At least in basketball. I remember in the late 80s, Northfield making a run at semi-state. In the mid 90s, Manchester did the same. Either one of those two win state, I think it's still one class and the small-school dream still alive. Again, that's just my opinion.

I just know as a member of the media that for me, covering a kid from an 800-enrollment school making a run at the big boys is the highlight of my year. Sure beats the heck out of covering a commissioner's meeting. :)

I wore one of those pins once at Conseco. Next morning ended up in the hospital for 10 days. Haven't worn it since. True story!!!

Maybe it was the pins that saved your life???????    :D

This is the oldest, and worst argument against class wrestling.  Just because you win state at a certain weight, it doesn't guarantee that you are the best kid at that weight in the state, it just says that you had the best 2 days at the state tournament of anybody in your class.  What about the guy that wins a state title, but loses the following week at Team State while wrestling in the same class?  Isn't the guy that beat him better, since he beat him?

No offence, but that doesn?t make sense. Saying "just because you win state" seems to trivialize the state championship title in general. I'm sure everyone will agree that winning a state championship, in most cases, takes allot of hard work along with a measure of luck, considering all the talent. So in your scenario the state champs loss at team state is a big win for the wrestler who beat the champ. no more and no less. It should take nothing away from the wrestler that won the state championship.

Personally I don't care for the idea of classes, the bigger schools numbers do give them an advantage, but dividing into classes would seem to diminish the overall quality at the state level. Much like the way expansion does in proffesional sports. I just don't see how it would bring more athlete's to the sport or improve development.

Just my opinion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.