Body Slam

rdrodd1

Could somebody explain a illegale body slam to me?  If you have your hand or arms underneath the opponent when they are coming back down to the mat, is that helping them back down to the mat?  Not for sure. That is why I am asking.

Thank You

I actually got called for this a couple weeks back. But it really wasnt my fault my opponet could of landed on his hands but instead he didnt post his hand and fell straight to the mat. And i got the loss cause he couldnt continue wrestling. It was a bad call and there was 8 seconds left in the 3rd period i was up by 8. >:(

But if you lift them up and turn and them slam them full force I can understand that. Is is strictly a judgement call?

Correct it is a judgment call.  The rulebook defines a slam as lifting and returning your opponent to the mat with unnecessary force.  

P-town,

When you take your opponent off the mat, you are responsible for his safe return.  While you may not agree with the call it was the right call.  

Oh Dear Lord. Safe return to the mat? Okay, how about we just say control your opponent to the mat. Don't try to hurt him, but definitely put him down hard. You don't want him to just hit another standup right away do you? Lets get tougher Indiana.

Also: Maybe we need to start writing the rule book in Da Region. 

-Nope, never mind, everyone needs to be able to read it. Not just DA Rat.

Oh Dear Lord. Safe return to the mat? Okay, how about we just say control your opponent to the mat. Don't try to hurt him, but definitely put him down hard. You don't want him to just hit another standup right away do you? Lets get tougher Indiana.

Also: Maybe we need to start writing the rule book in Da Region. 

-Nope, never mind, everyone needs to be able to read it. Not just DA Rat.

They have its called MMA.

Y2,

Thanks for the info but I think that I am questioning, what is a safe return. 

I don't want to see anybody ever get injured but I know that it happens.  I am sure that for the most part, any wrestler that picks up his opponent is not intentionally going to try to slam him back to the mat. The safe return is what I am wondering about. 

Correct it is a judgment call.  The rulebook defines a slam as lifting and returning your opponent to the mat with unnecessary force. 

P-town,

When you take your opponent off the mat, you are responsible for his safe return.  While you may not agree with the call it was the right call. 

Thanks Y2

The problem with judgement calls is that they can be so very subjective.

A potential slam call could come from a horizontal lift of 1 foot high with such a vague definition.

Couldn't a hard blast double be considered a slam if the wrestler's feet were taken off the mat during the blast double?

A safe return to the mat does not mean it has to be a slow return does it?

I have seen some a few obvious attempts at injury go uncalled (glad it has only been a few) and a few very ridiculous calls of a slam where a lift or throw was in no way dangerous to the wrestler nor did it cause even momentary injury. (I have seen a ref who has called hip tosses a slam because the wrestler was not set gently down onto the mat.) (Sigh)

I am not saying slams should not be called because wrestler safety is extremely important but a clearer definition should be made of what is a slam.

rd i was there and saw the slam, my 1st reaction was that it was a slam, my 2nd reaction was that i knew the coach was going to tell him that he was done, 3rd do i think he could have come back to win even if he was ok, no, i don't think he would have won the match even if he did not slam him.its unfortunate but hey this is tourney time,its all about getting your kid as far as he can go perfect example happened at decatur 8)

If you look at ccbig's profile pic of the high crotch, the thrower never leaves his feet. The thowee goes flyin' through the air, but the thrower places the throwee on the mat, not through the mat...

The placement of the throwee shouldn't be done with bad intent.

Could somebody explain a illegale body slam to me?  If you have your hand or arms underneath the opponent when they are coming back down to the mat, is that helping them back down to the mat?  Not for sure. That is why I am asking.

Thank You

If your opponant bounces once off the mat it is a judgement call...if he bounces twice it is a slam...j/k.

If your opponant bounces once off the mat it is a judgement call...if he bounces twice it is a slam...j/k.

Nice, b.  You're only supposed to say things like that to other officials behind closed doors.

The knee rule is no longer exists, but i feel as it has been made apparent in this thread that the rule is a little vague, but as with anything when it is left to a judgement call there is always gonna be disagreements with the calls. LOL thats why i HATE reffing freestyle and greco cause no matter what the call there will be arguing with your judgement. Much appreciation for all that the referees do and go through every weekend

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.