No Semi-State Brackets Until Sunday

littlevito

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been reading this topic tonight. I have not decided just where I stand on this issue just yet. The reason for my uncertainty stems from the fact that last week, we were discussing if Kieffer or Wright should injury default the 3rd-4th place match to get to the other side of the bracket from the other for the duration of the tournament. We were all in agreement that the seeding was not done correctly, or atleast was a little odd.

So if you thought it was ok to default in that situation, is it different then this one. Yes the cell phone makes it more of a question mark, but basically you are just changing the mode with which you recieved the information. One being a poor seeding, the other a cell phone, but in both cases, you would be asking your wrestler to do something to improve his chances of moving on in the tournament based on information you had prior to the next weeks matches.

I dont know that I would call either circumstance unethical, but I would agree that it is unsportsman like in appearance. We teach or kids to go out, work hard, do the best you can, and try to win within the rules. No rules were broken, they may have been bent.

If he has a legitamate injury like one that has kept him out part of the season, then there is no problem with it.  Just as Danny Williams did.  Its when you default mid match without an injury that is unethical.

I really wanted to let this topic die, but....what if you were the coach of a number 2 ranked kid that was going to win his sectional and then would have Danny Williams Sat. morning of regional?  The fact is you aren't wrestling the 4th best from the other sectional.  I can almost guarantee that if the coach that had his 215 pounder wrestle Jake Obrien fri. night of state would have had the draws early we would not think anything of it to inj. default.  This coach just likes to win...probably hates to loose checkers and such.  The kid still has to beat a good kid.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.