Roncalli vs. New Castle

Indysportsfan

Mullins is a stud. That being said, I never been more proud of my son Justin, in a match. Not an easy task to weigh in at 125, bump up and wrestle a stud like Mullins. He was asked and without a question did what he was suppose to do for the team.  Dominate, I don't agree with what you observed.  He took a shot, but was very selective on how to wrestle this kid. He knew getting out of here with a lost (team 3pt) was what he had to  accomplish. Tough spot to be in, but he handle it with dignity.  To my youngest, Joe you grew up last night, taking on the same task as your brother. Proud to be your father. How about Danny Fagen, first time wrestling a varsity match, what a huge win for this team.

Mullins is a stud. That being said, I never been more proud of my son Justin, in a match. Not an easy task to weigh in at 125, bump up and wrestle a stud like Mullins. He was asked and without a question did what he was suppose to do for the team.  Dominate, I don't agree with what you observed.  He took a shot, but was very selective on how to wrestle this kid. He knew getting out of here with a lost (team 3pt) was what he had to  accomplish. Tough spot to be in, but he handle it with dignity.  To my youngest, Joe you grew up last night, taking on the same task as your brother. Proud to be your father. How about Danny Fagen, first time wrestling a varsity match, what a huge win for this team.

What your boys did, bookended by huge pins by Fagan & Albertson, won that duel.

I learned alot about team wrestling last night.

I think it would be nice if people could just take wrestling matches for what they are be it our match with Roncalli last night, or any other match.  In almost every instance someone on the winning side has to try to rub it in or discount the other team,  or someone on the losing side has to make excuses.  It would be nice if it were just looked at as a good match and the better team on February 3 won.  The Roncalli kids did a great job and I felt my guys that have the "pretty records" equated themselves quite well.   I felt like the kids on both teams carried themselves like winners.  It never ceases to amaze me how adults can yell/do off the wall things over a wrestling match and the kids involved normally remain above it.  I just wanted to tip my hat to one of the Roncalli kids.  I think it was Albertson (if  I am wrong I am sorry).   He got a big pin for the Rebels and their crowd went wild.  I did not hear anything during the match, or at the end, from the stands that stood out, but it was obvious he did.  When he came over to us he started off by saying he was sorry for whatever it was.  My comment to him was that he did nothing wrong and that he should be proud of his performance.   I wish Coach Ellis, Coach Miller, and the Rebels the best of luck at Center Grove.  

What your boys did, bookended by huge pins by Fagan & Albertson, won that duel.

I learned alot about team wrestling last night.

I think it really had little to do with line-up moves as the moves at 125-130 & 135 meant we scored 4 less points than we would have had Kieffer gotten a pin at 125 instead of the 4 they got, and Mullins and Rose had both gotten pins which was certainly not a given.  I all liklihood it was about a wash.  I actually liked it when they moved Kieffer up because I felt our win  gave us a nice momentum boost which we could not maintain. 

I think it really had little to do with line-up moves as the moves at 125-130 & 135 meant we scored 4 less points than we would have had Kieffer gotten a pin at 125 instead of the 4 they got, and Mullins and Rose had both gotten pins which was certainly not a given.  I all liklihood it was about a wash.   I actually liked it when they moved Kieffer up because I felt our win  gave us a nice momentum boost which we could not maintain. 

You have forgotten more about this sport than I'll ever know (I'm fairly new to it and have to ask my sons what's going on half the time), but I felt the excitement created by the Fagan & Albertson pins really affected the energy of the Roncalli wrestlers.......specifically the two big guys who hadn't wrestled that well in the first round.

It probably was Albertson, very good kid. Have no idea what he would have been apologizing for.

Damon's pin at 189 was HUGE!  Here is a kid that is MANY pounds underweight and has only been wrestling for a couple of years, but he makes up for his shortcomings with a big heart and determination.  He comes from a great family of educators and is a great kid.

Coach Peck always has the Trojans ready and they are very tough.  Best of luck to the Rebels and Trojans as they move forward this season. 

You have forgotten more about this sport than I'll ever know (I'm fairly new to it and have to ask my sons what's going on half the time), but I felt the excitement created by the Fagan & Albertson pins really affected the energy of the Roncalli wrestlers.......specifically the two big guys who hadn't wrestled that well in the first round.

Pins were certainly what turned the tide on the team Score.   I knew going in we had to be perfect in terms of my plan and we weren't...we were off by two.  That's how it goes.  I will add this loss to a few others we have suffered over the years and move on.

Coach Peck, never meant to imply or attempted to make excuses for a lost ( not even sure if thats what you were talking about) with the Mullins match.  As I reread my post I could see how it could sound like I was. It was mainly directed to Justin.  I (He) would  never want that kind of impression. Conner wrestle like a true champion. Wish him nothing the best in his career.  Also just like to say great job Damon, Tucker, Matt, and everyone of those Rebels who stood up and made it happen.

Coach Peck never makes excuses. He always loses and wins with pride and dignity. ALWAYS! I have to compliment him on what he has done for the New Castle program and school system. What a great gentleman, coach, person, sports enthusiast, husband so on and so forth. I just hope that one if not more of his wrestlers can bring home the hardware for him this year @ CONSECO!! (referring to Mullins & Campbell) He deserves it, a guy who has only had 1, ONE, UNO state champion. Yes very hard to believe for such a great coach, I wish him and the rest of his Wrestlers the best of luck in the Tournament.

I wish to thank both Roncalli, and New Castle for a great dual meet. One of the wrestlers asked me how I saw it, going into the meet, I told him I had it as a 7-7 wins for each team, and that bonus points would be huge. The final score was in no way indicitave of the wrestling that took place. It was a fabulous meet, and I want to congratulate all wrestlers for a fine performance. Coach Peck, as always you do not suprise me with your comments, you have been if nothing else a model of sportsmanship, and your wrestlers are lucky to have you as thier coach.

Coach Peck, never meant to imply or attempted to make excuses for a lost ( not even sure if thats what you were talking about) with the Mullins match.  As I reread my post I could see how it could sound like I was. It was mainly directed to Justin.  I (He) would  never want that kind of impression. Conner wrestle like a true champion. Wish him nothing the best in his career.  Also just like to say great job Damon, Tucker, Matt, and everyone of those Rebels who stood up and made it happen.

My comment about excuses was not aimed at you and/or Justin.  Your boys always wrestle hard, and if someone wins a match against one of them it means they have probably had to bring their lunch because it is never going to be an easy win.  I will have no problem pulling for the boys along the tournament trail as long as they are not wrestling the Green and White.

New Castle does wrestle a good schedule. The kids on the team with good records, have went up against anyone the other teams throw on the mat against them. Those same kids beat the Roncalli kids. New Castle won seven matches in this bout, and gave up a forfeit at 171 pounds. I don't think anything came back to bite them, just Roncalli got more pins in this one.

Connor Mullins wrestled Clark from South Dearborn, who is ranked fourth, and he absolutely dominated him. He did the same to Keiffer (ranked No. 2 at 125 pounds). No reason to knock the NC wrestlers.

I didn't mean for this to come across negatively and I certainly am not knocking New Castle's wrestlers.  I just think they could do themselves a favor and try to toughen up their regular season schedule.  They wrestle a ton of matches so lets try to make as many of those against quality opponents as possible.

Looking at Campbell, he's only faced three ranked wrestlers out of 50 plus matches.  McKinley from PM has faced nine ranked wrestlers. 

Mullins has faced two ranked wrestlers out of 50+ matches.

I just wish NC would look to upgrade their schedule a little bit.  I think, while some of their wrestlers might not have 38-2 records anymore (not talking about Campbell and Mullins who are capable of beating anyone in the state), they'd be better prepared for the tournament.  Just my opinion.

Here's hoping Mullins and Campbell can bring home two state championships in a couple of weeks!

NC has  lots of quality wrestlers but only in my opnion 3 studs that can compete at conseco (fellers, campbell, and mullins) they must juggle their line up alot cuz they have some good tourneys it just doesnt make sense bennet with only 2 losses? got third at his conference. wasson with 1? with just a decision at conference over a .500 record wrestler? and coach peckinpaw? hahahah spelling. seems like a great guy but i have seen him throw temper tantrums if the match is not going his way and has instructed his kids to use the football carry. i dont think thats very professional at all.

NC has  lots of quality wrestlers but only in my opnion 3 studs that can compete at conseco (fellers, campbell, and mullins) they must juggle their line up alot cuz they have some good tourneys it just doesnt make sense bennet with only 2 losses? got third at his conference. wasson with 1? with just a decision at conference over a .500 record wrestler? and coach peckinpaw? hahahah spelling. seems like a great guy but i have seen him throw temper tantrums if the match is not going his way and has instructed his kids to use the football carry. i dont think thats very professional at all.

i've seen state championships won with half nelsons..   .......   whats wrong with the football carry?.......... a win is a win correct?.. no matter how you go about it!..    ..  quiorez or however you spell it..   from chesterton rode the spiral ride into a cyclone all the way to the state championship match last year..       it worked..      ..  so go with it..      who cares! ........                   .......................  i guess if you know a certain move will work on certain kids..   you wouldnt "instruct" them to do it?    riiiiiiiiiiiight

ahh .. well ..    if they choke their opponents out ..  then kuddos for them!!!.. that means their opponent is weak.. and can't go their knees...and stay square...  and grab three fingers and break/rip the hand away!!!..  force should be met with force!..      this sport isn't nice!

First and foremost I want Rebel4life to know this dad here at NC has the utmost respect for you and your sons.  Every time they have compeated against one another they have all gone full out.  And your coments about my son having his appendics out was of the most heart felt things said last year.  You have raised extreme gentleman and super tough wrestlers.  Next I was unable to attend last week due to work unfortuneately in todays job market I have to work.  I did though talk to individuals whom were there and win or lose both teams from what I heard  gave there all but most importantly all involved showed tremendous sportsmanship.  Yes Campbell did have a loss this year and on that day that young man was one point better Brenden picked up his bag and moved on.  He is  going to wrestle as hard as the good Lord will let him.  He lives one day at a time and tries to train to the best of his ability that day.  I wrestled growing up and know that he also knows that on any given day when all the cards fall just right and the man above grants you the will to win then thats what will happen.  And when the cards don't line up disaster could happen and your season ends.  So if you believe it or not we learned first hand your seson could end at any time.  Good luck to all from here on out.  .And the number of wins a person has  and whom they've wrestled doesn't matter to the individual standing ontop of the podium.

ahh .. well ..    if they choke their opponents out ..   then kuddos for them!!!.. that means their opponent is weak.. and can't go their knees...and stay square...  and grab three fingers and break/rip the hand away!!!..   force should be met with force!..      this sport isn't nice!

Nor is it brutal. This is not MMA where we practice submission holds.

I dont know for sure what the football hold is that started this, but choking an opponent out is not now, nor should it ever be something to take pride and pleasure in. You wonder why some people want to do away with out sport, look no further then your mirrior as to why. It is people like you that give our sport a bad name. Walking around gloating over the number of kids you or your team,  has choked out. That is rather pathetic. Actually wishing an injury on another person.

this is a funny convo how bout you all just let it go and move on. nobody choked anybody out and both sides wrestled hard. and the rebels were better on wed. if they wrestled again on mon. it could go a completly  different way. rebels got momentum and never let it go sometimes that is all you need. i always new conner mullins was a stud but i truly believe he has surpassed that term "stud" he is really something special. until wed. i didnt think he really had anything for Tsirtsis but now i feel mullins gives tsirtsis all he can handle and then some.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.