Class This!!!!

duck_and_run

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how if you don't win state you consider yourself a bad Assistant coach.  No one is able to compete against Mishawaka this year.  Should we keep them in there own class because it isn't fair to the rest of the schools?  I mean comparing Garrett to Mishawaka is the same as comparing Belmont to Mishawaka.  I would imagine about the same results, but if you compare Garrett to other top ten schools some results would be kinda close depending on the matchups.  That tells me that the program you help out with is only one or two good wrestlers away from being a state caliber team.

I also like how you always say that classing wrestling in Indiana is magically going to change the number of wrestlers per team.  Lets face it if the community is not involved then the wrestling program is usually not very good.  If you don't fix a community you haven't done anything that is benificial for wrestling on a hole.  You want team success go wrestle in crap tournements during the season.  Leave the real wrestling at the end of the year.  Let the best wrestle the best at least once a year its good for the individual and good for the sport.

I have a question to ask the class supporters.  Granted, there are several classed states that are better than us.  However, what about the 20-25 classed states that we're better than?  Arizona, which uses a 5-class system, being one of.  What's the excuse for those states being worse than littl ole' single-classed Indiana?

Have you coaches had a lot of wrestlers quit because the team wasn't competitive?  I would venture to say that less then 1 % of wrestlers who quit, quit because the team sucks.  Guys quit because there coach is a jerk or they are no good.  Thats usually what it boils down to.  I think this is just a ploy by the coaches to get some recognition for them selves.

"SO I am a bad coach"

--by y2j

The fact that you are whimpering about the team you help out for not winning a state title is at least ammuseing.  You act like just because you throw out a little effort a state title is suppose to happen.  There are 300 + wrestling teams out there busting there butts to be the best.  Not a single one of the elete teams got there over night.  Most of them did not just work hard for 5 or 6 years, they have also had youth programs in place for 25 to 40 years. 

Have you coaches had a lot of wrestlers quit because the team wasn't competitive?  I would venture to say that less then 1 % of wrestlers who quit, quit because the team sucks.  Guys quit because there coach is a jerk or they are no good.  Thats usually what it boils down to.  I think this is just a ploy by the coaches to get some recognition for them selves.

"SO I am a bad coach"

--by y2j

The fact that you are whimpering about the team you help out for not winning a state title is at least ammuseing.  You act like just because you throw out a little effort a state title is suppose to happen.  There are 300 + wrestling teams out there busting there butts to be the best.  Not a single one of the elete teams got there over night.  Most of them did not just work hard for 5 or 6 years, they have also had youth programs in place for 25 to 40 years. 

Color me a no good jerk.

"SO I am a bad coach"

--by y2j

So when I am 70 Garrett might win a state championship... I hope I am alive by then.

Do you think your team this year deserves a state title?  Because it sounds like you do and its rediculous.  I mean I will print you out a blue ribbon and send it by your high school if that will make you happy.

I believe that my kids work just as hard as the football, baseball, basketball and volleyball teams in our school, if not harder.  I feel we have a lot better team than those teams, yet they get to compete on a level playing field against schools their own size.  I would like the kids to have that same opportunity in wrestling.  According to the Genius Ratings we are the 31 out of 309 best school in the state in wrestling.  Our boys basketball team is ranked 309 out of 416 in the state and have a shot at winning sectional.  Does that seem fair to you?  It surely doesn't to me.

Boohooo!!!!  Is it fair for Penn and Mishawaka to be in the same sectionals?  Is it fair for Adam Central to be in Bellmonts sectional?  I am not sure who is in Garretts basketball sectional but I bet it is a joke.  Much like the Oak Hill sectional.  Which Garrett would have won.    Also you did not get beat by some huge school Whitcko is a 2A school I believe so maybe your just not as good.  Your so blinded by how your own team does it makes your arguement look self motivated.  

Boohooo!!!!  Is it fair for Penn and Mishawaka to be in the same sectionals?  Is it fair for Adam Central to be in Bellmonts sectional?  I am not sure who is in Garretts basketball sectional but I bet it is a joke.  Much like the Oak Hill sectional.  Which Garrett would have won.    Also you did not get beat by some huge school Whitcko is a 2A school I believe so maybe your just not as good.  Your so blinded by how your own team does it makes your arguement look self motivated. 

If we lose to Whitko at sectional, I am fine with that.  They are a good team and in order to be the best you have to beat the best. 

As a matter of fact our boy's basketball sectional is a joke, no argument there.  But they still get a trophy for winning and get the big celebration for winning.  They get t-shirts, the coaches and kids get big write-ups in the paper and all that fun stuff.  The trophy they get says sectional champions on it, it doesn't say "joke sectional champions."  Of course, we get a nice pat on the back from the people that know we are the best sports team in the school saying "good job" though.  That should be enough for the kids to make things equal right?

So you would want to kick Whitcko out of your sectionals if it meant you could have a sectional trophy becuse it would mean so much to your team?  Kinda how you want to kick out any school bigger then you so you can have a false sense of acomplishment.  Next will be no Catholic schools, where would it stop with you.  Does your team need to win a sectional, a regional, or a state title for the system to be fair to you?

So you would want to kick Whitcko out of your sectionals if it meant you could have a sectional trophy becuse it would mean so much to your team?  Kinda how you want to kick out any school bigger then you so you can have a false sense of acomplishment.  Next will be no Catholic schools, where would it stop with you.  Does your team need to win a sectional, a regional, or a state title for the system to be fair to you?

Unreadable

I am against Class High School Sports.......not just wrestling for a simple reason.

Without it, a team that wins State is the best team in the state...period.

With it a team that wins state is not necessarily the best in the state.

I would propose a system by which schools are regionalized based on location and school size, then at some point (probably team state) they come together to compete for the title.

Eight teams at state, broken down by percentage of school size, maybe 1 team from population under 500, 2 teams from population under 1000 and 5 teams from large schools. This way a smaller school can compete against other smaller schools, but in the end there is one winner.

I am sure cost (travel) would keep this from happening. Just asking the question, is there a middle ground?

With class Basketball there will never be another Miland (Hoosiers)! That single win is the strongest argument against class sports. Maybe the small schools do it once a generation, but when they do they will never be forgotten.

So you would want to kick Whitcko out of your sectionals if it meant you could have a sectional trophy becuse it would mean so much to your team?  Kinda how you want to kick out any school bigger then you so you can have a false sense of acomplishment.  Next will be no Catholic schools, where would it stop with you.  Does your team need to win a sectional, a regional, or a state title for the system to be fair to you?

If we have to go through Whitko, that is fine, just like our football team (in the past) had to go through Jimtown.  Having to go through a good team doesn't bother me.  

For the system to be fair, we need to have a level playing field against teams our own size just like softball, baseball, basketball, football, and volleyball.  

If we have to go through Whitko, that is fine, just like our football team (in the past) had to go through Jimtown.  Having to go through a good team doesn't bother me.  

For the system to be fair, we need to have a level playing field against teams our own size just like softball, baseball, basketball, football, and volleyball.  

And virtually ALL college sports.

With class Basketball there will never be another Miland (Hoosiers)! That single win is the strongest argument against class sports. Maybe the small schools do it once a generation, but when they do they will never be forgotten.

That was 3 generations ago.  Nostalgia is probably not the best criteria to use when determining what is best for kids.

I am against Class High School Sports.......not just wrestling for a simple reason.

Without it, a team that wins State is the best team in the state...period.

With it a team that wins state is not necessarily the best in the state.

I would propose a system by which schools are regionalized based on location and school size, then at some point (probably team state) they come together to compete for the title.

Eight teams at state, broken down by percentage of school size, maybe 1 team from population under 500, 2 teams from population under 1000 and 5 teams from large schools. This way a smaller school can compete against other smaller schools, but in the end there is one winner.

I am sure cost (travel) would keep this from happening. Just asking the question, is there a middle ground?

What is the purpose of high school athletics?  

If it is to crown a champion, then I agree with you.  I however think that high school athletics(and other activities) have a greater purpose for the youth.  I think that athletics serves a great purpose in molding our young kids into great human beings and want as many kids as possible to experience athletics in some form or fashion no matter the sport.  If classing sports means that more kids get to experience athletics, then it is a good thing.  For one, I think football in this state is doing quite well with a classed system.  Small schools have 40ish kids on their teams and the stands are full almost every Friday night.  Something is being done the right way in football.

What is the purpose of high school athletics?  

If it is to crown a champion, then I agree with you.  I however think that high school athletics(and other activities) have a greater purpose for the youth.  I think that athletics serves a great purpose in molding our young kids into great human beings and want as many kids as possible to experience athletics in some form or fashion no matter the sport.  If classing sports means that more kids get to experience athletics, then it is a good thing.  For one, I think football in this state is doing quite well with a classed system.  Small schools have 40ish kids on their teams and the stands are full almost every Friday night.  Something is being done the right way in football.

How does the institution of Class Sports mean that more kids get to EXPERIENCE athletics? Maybe I am missing something here. To me Class Sports is an entitlement! I work hard so I am entitled to success. That is not teaching our youth the real world.

I would rather win a section as a small school in a single class than win state in a class system.

How does the institution of Class Sports mean that more kids get to EXPERIENCE athletics? Maybe I am missing something here. To me Class Sports is an entitlement! I work hard so I am entitled to success. That is not teaching our youth the real world.

I would rather win a section as a small school in a single class than win state in a class system.

Look at small school football as an example.  How do those teams keep getting 40-50 kids out, while a wrestling team at the same school struggles to get 10-15 out?  When a team loses enough, kids stop coming out for the sport.  No one wants to be a part of a losing or non competitive team.  More kids want to be a part of successful teams and programs. 

I am glad we are back to the "working hard" argument.  I love to hear that statement, because we all know if you don't win, you don't work hard.

I am glad we are back to the "working hard" argument.  I love to hear that statement, because we all know if you don't win, you don't work hard.

Many many people work hard, very hard and still loose, that is life. I just don't believe that everyone that works hard can finish number one. Everyone that works hard should have the opportunity to succeed, but everyone can't win.

At the individual state final.........does a wrestler that finishes 2nd or 5th or 8th not enjoy success? I believe they do. I believe that they are proud, or they should be.

I guess I am just a strong believer that there is only one winner. I would hate to win in class 2A, and go thru life wondering if I was really better than the 4A guy or not.

Look at small school football as an example.  How do those teams keep getting 40-50 kids out, while a wrestling team at the same school struggles to get 10-15 out?  When a team loses enough, kids stop coming out for the sport.  No one wants to be a part of a losing or non competitive team.  More kids want to be a part of successful teams and programs. 

I am pretty sure that's why we didn't win sectional...we don't work hard enough.  Or maybe it's because we only had 7 active guys on the team....I know it's one of those two things, though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.