So much for small teams not being able to compete

duck_and_run

Of the 8 Fort Wayne sectionals 4 were won by small schools.  Eastern, Jimtown, Whitcko, and Prarie Hieghts all took home sectional crowns.  Take that class wrestling.  Along those same lines Garrett finished a sound second above many bigger schools, and I am pretty sure South Adams and Adam Central finished 2 and 3 in there sectional.  Congradulations to all those sectional championship squads and good luck in the weeks ahead.  You defied all odds and came out on top even though it was thought to be an impossible battle coming into this weekend. 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duck keep it up ,the single class drums need to keep  beating on this web site until these young ins realize that  the Indiana  High School one class , may be the best in the United States today for the schools, students , and the state.

Duck keep it up ,the single class drums need to keep  beating on this web site until these young ins realize that   the Indiana  High School one class , may be the best in the United States today for the schools, students , and the state.

Exactly, that's why our kids dominate in Fargo and the NCAA's compared to all those other ignorant states that have classes.

Of the 8 Fort Wayne sectionals 4 were won by small schools.  Eastern, Jimtown, Whitcko, and Prarie Hieghts all took home sectional crowns.  Take that class wrestling.  Along those same lines Garrett finished a sound second above many bigger schools, and I am pretty sure South Adams and Adam Central finished 2 and 3 in there sectional.  Congradulations to all those sectional championship squads and good luck in the weeks ahead.  You defied all odds and came out on top even though it was thought to be an impossible battle coming into this weekend. 

Hitting spell check might assist you in getting your point across  ::)

Duck keep it up ,the single class drums need to keep  beating on this web site until these young ins realize that   the Indiana  High School one class , may be the best in the United States today for the schools, students , and the state.

Yep, Indiana is really dominating across the nation. Just dominance on every level year in and year out.

Arguement:

Look we did not place well at fargo must be because we did not class the state.  

Answer:  

At the college level we are doing just fine 2 in the finals last year with several more All Americans.  Although these are the facts I am not ignorant enough to say look here were doing awsome at the college level because were not a classed state.  Truth is all of these wrestlers worked there buts off and their communities supported them.

Arguement:

We would have way more of a turnout if we classed the sport because more teams would be able to succeed.

Answer

The only thing class wrestling has done in other states is allow for new dynasties in different classes to be set up.  Think about St Edwards and St Paris Graham (in Ohio) win there divisions every year.  Does this make a team whos program isn't developed any more likely to field a full roster?  The answer is a simple NO!!!

Arguement:

We would have more success at the college level if we set up a class system.

Answer:

I have looked at the numbers and most states that class see no rise in college All Americans at all.  Meanwhile Indiana is producing a steady stream of top notched individuals.

Arguement:

Answer:

I have looked at the numbers and most states that class see no rise in college All Americans at all.  Meanwhile Indiana is producing a steady stream of top notched individuals.

Where is the steady stream of top notched individuals. I've seen one NCAA champion lately, and besides him, you have like 3 guys that are nationally noticeable. Just because the wrestler is wrestling for an in state college team doesn't make them top notched nationally.

There are only ten wieght classes in college so 2 in the finals is ten percent.  Thats a great number.  then we had quite a few individuals mopping up AA honors.  Besides all this there is no coralation to classing the state that shows improvement in wrestling.  There is also no correlation to not classing that shows a great rise in competitive wrestlers.  Basically what I am saying is the fact that some states with class wrestling finish better then us in college has absolutly nothing to do with them classing the state.  But much like global warming classless Indiana wrestling gets the blame for everything. 

Small schools and individuals from small schools should have the opportunity for the same experience as their peers.  Small schools should not have to compete for team honors at a standard more difficult than their peer schools.  Small school individuals should not have to compete for individual honors at a standard more difficult than their peers in other states.

Y2 how does our lack of college success in any way relate to class wrestling?  The fact is it doesn't.  (FYI those totals could double this yearputting us ahead of where we should be.)  There are tons of states that we do much better then at the college level that have class wrestling.  You can not just say look at Iowa they have class wrestling look how successful they are.  The fact that they classed there state has nothing to do with there overall success.  There are no studies that even indicate that classing wrestling would create better wrestling, so I am tired of that arguement.

y2 you need  to come up with a survey on what past state champions would say about class wrestling.  I would like to think that a champion would want to say i am a state champ of all not 1a, 2a, etc.  then if we would have class who would be the best 103,112 etc.  we would not know.  does anyone have any information about class in other states on how many kids compete such as is there only a certain amount of 103,112 etc. for example how many rounds they would have and would there be a lot of ff.  Has far as the school size there are at least 4 or 5 - five a (football schools)  that can't fill a 14 team roster that i am aware of.  If size is the difference then penn should dominate and mish should have the back seat. Well there was a comment about small schools not being in the finals in the past ten years. 15+ years ago where was mishawaka, did they have wrestling? MD , Belmont,  and Delta were powerhouses then.  For the answer of what did those schools like HN,Roncalli, etc do I would ask Mish,Yorktown,etc,  what they did to change it around.  I would like to maybe have a small school team competition but then instead of Mish it would be MD.  I have not yet been to a individual tourn. yet where the best wrestler doesn't win regardless where they are from.  I thought everything was proven on the mat.  I could agree maybe a good athlete may get abused at a small school but i dont see a 103 pounder dominating on the football field the athlete just becomes a well rounded stud       

y2 you need  to come up with a survey on what past state champions would say about class wrestling.  I would like to think that a champion would want to say i am a state champ of all not 1a, 2a, etc.  then if we would have class who would be the best 103,112 etc.  we would not know.  does anyone have any information about class in other states on how many kids compete such as is there only a certain amount of 103,112 etc. for example how many rounds they would have and would there be a lot of ff.  Has far as the school size there are at least 4 or 5 - five a (football schools)  that can't fill a 14 team roster that i am aware of.  If size is the difference then penn should dominate and mish should have the back seat. Well there was a comment about small schools not being in the finals in the past ten years. 15+ years ago where was mishawaka, did they have wrestling? MD , Belmont,  and Delta were powerhouses then.  For the answer of what did those schools like HN,Roncalli, etc do I would ask Mish,Yorktown,etc,  what they did to change it around.  I would like to maybe have a small school team competition but then instead of Mish it would be MD.  I have not yet been to a individual tourn. yet where the best wrestler doesn't win regardless where they are from.  I thought everything was proven on the mat.  I could agree maybe a good athlete may get abused at a small school but i dont see a 103 pounder dominating on the football field the athlete just becomes a well rounded stud       

I have surveyed wrestlers from classed systems and asked them what they placed at state.  None of them have ever mentioned their class until it was asked.  Go ask a Jimtown football player how they did when they won 2A state and he will say, we were state champs.  He won't say "2A state champs."  Go ask a Triton basketball player the same thing and you will get the same answers.  Our basketball team has won two straight sectionals, they never say "we were 2A sectional champs," they say "we were sectional champs."  If you don't get the drift, the kids will compete hard in any system they are in they really don't care too much about classes.

Y2 how does our lack of college success in any way relate to class wrestling?  The fact is it doesn't.  (FYI those totals could double this yearputting us ahead of where we should be.)  There are tons of states that we do much better then at the college level that have class wrestling.  You can not just say look at Iowa they have class wrestling look how successful they are.  The fact that they classed there state has nothing to do with there overall success.  There are no studies that even indicate that classing wrestling would create better wrestling, so I am tired of that arguement.

This is from you, do you suffer from short term memory loss manvswild1?

Arguement:

Look we did not place well at fargo must be because we did not class the state. 

Answer: 

At the college level we are doing just fine 2 in the finals last year with several more All Americans.  Although these are the facts I am not ignorant enough to say look here were doing awsome at the college level because were not a classed state.  Truth is all of these wrestlers worked there buts off and their communities supported them.

Arguement:

We would have way more of a turnout if we classed the sport because more teams would be able to succeed.

Answer

The only thing class wrestling has done in other states is allow for new dynasties in different classes to be set up.  Think about St Edwards and St Paris Graham (in Ohio) win there divisions every year.  Does this make a team whos program isn't developed any more likely to field a full roster?  The answer is a simple NO!!!

Arguement:

Answer:

I have looked at the numbers and most states that class see no rise in college All Americans at all.  Meanwhile Indiana is producing a steady stream of top notched individuals.

Its makes sense that you refuse to use the context of how they.  I for one think we are doing really well as a state right now.  WE have a chance for 3 NCAA champions this year and that makes me happy, but I am not going to sit here and argue how good or bad we are in the college ranks.  So I conceded and let you and your chornies have there way.  I said were no good in college, but how does that even factor into the class wrestling debate.  There is absolutly no evidence that classing a state makes a state better.  In fact you can pretty much see no change in a state after classing them.  SO what I was trying to say is I really do not care what our college wrestlers do, because it does not change the class wrestling debate.

I wanted to know what our state champs would say i would bet they would be upset if they had to "share" the Hwt title with four other people.  If i recall in 1974 garrett has a sign that states 1a champ and if you talked to those people they would say state champs too that isn't may complaint.  I like the idea if i was a champ i am the champ of the whole state.  Exposure and getting your name out is pretty easy with all the devices out there so if you are good everybody knows.  Y2, you and your staff do a wonderful job helping that out.   I strongly believe it is the coach and how he runs his program.  If he has a great supporting cast that is a big plus.  The best thing i love about wrestling is you don't have to be born a speciman.  Any size, shape, or talent God gives you can use and develop it into being a champion. With that being said, speed, strength, and size wouldn't hurt either. I just like it the way it is no class but it would probably help more programs and wrestlers if it was class.  I guess there is always golf

I wanted to know what our state champs would say i would bet they would be upset if they had to "share" the Hwt title with four other people.  If i recall in 1974 garrett has a sign that states 1a champ and if you talked to those people they would say state champs too that isn't may complaint.  I like the idea if i was a champ i am the champ of the whole state.  Exposure and getting your name out is pretty easy with all the devices out there so if you are good everybody knows.  Y2, you and your staff do a wonderful job helping that out.   I strongly believe it is the coach and how he runs his program.  If he has a great supporting cast that is a big plus.  The best thing i love about wrestling is you don't have to be born a speciman.  Any size, shape, or talent God gives you can use and develop it into being a champion. With that being said, speed, strength, and size wouldn't hurt either. I just like it the way it is no class but it would probably help more programs and wrestlers if it was class.  I guess there is always golf

If you ask the kids, they would rather be a "true" champion.  Of course if you ask the kids how they want to run the school, they would want Mountain Dew fountains in the hallway and no homework on days that end in 'y'.  

Kids really don't care about the classes in other states.  Of course they would want to win a single class system, but they aren't trashing their medals because they aren't "true" champions. Do I need to pull out TripleB's favorite post with pictures of Ohio's class champions?

I guess i am confused. Are you for class wrestling or the way it is? reading some of your responses i dont get it.  Are we just a bunch of old guys that say "if there was class in my day i would have  4x state championships"   I would hope that it matters to the kids, they are the ones doing the work to get there.  Maybe we should stick with discussions that we can control, Heck maybe there wont even be indiana high school wrestling in the future.  If it does stick around  i know the state wont hand out 5x more medals,etc Unless you fund it

I guess i am confused. Are you for class wrestling or the way it is? reading some of your responses i dont get it.  Are we just a bunch of old guys that say "if there was class in my day i would have  4x state championships"  I would hope that it matters to the kids, they are the ones doing the work to get there.  Maybe we should stick with discussions that we can control, Heck maybe there wont even be indiana high school wrestling in the future.  If it does stick around  i know the state wont hand out 5x more medals,etc Unless you fund it

Does the school board go to the kids to ask if they should implement a new dress code policy?  If you have kids, do you let them determine their curfew?  Does the government go to the kids and ask what age they should be able to drink at or at what age they should be able to drive?

Whether or not there is class sports, kids will still work hard to achieve their goals.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.