"Duck" Stevenson, Atwood, Sliga, Johnson-Jones, and Thatcher "Worth"

duck_and_run

2008's runner up and 2009 champion Michael Duckworths late year decision a sign of running?  Not saying he is but I think it is definatly up for disscussion.  At the begining of the season weighing in at just over 200 pounds by some reports, why would a former state champion cut 30 pounds if he were not ducking competition.  We have seen this at other weights in the state, but not from any former state champions.  If this is the case who is he most likly dodging. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He must of had a time with the weight rules.!

200 lbs in Mid November, now mid/late January (9 ish weeks). with the 1.5% rule he could lose 3 pounds per week. So he could legally make the weight. However it had to be a chess match making sure he lost at a pace that kept him qualified and got down in time to get the qualifying weigh-ins!

Kudos on a well managed season!

My question wasn't if he could but why would he?  He is a state champion why would you cut 30-45 pounds unless you were running from someone.  I could see making 189 but to go another 18 pounds from me sounds like some running going on.  If I am the clear cut best in the state I do not drop 40 pounds but thats me.  If he is running who is he running from?  Im saying it could be Atwood.

Probably a combination of football weight coming off and getting ready to wrestle at the next level.  I would guess he will be wrestling 174 in college so 171 seems like the natural SR. year weight class.  I doubt he is running...remember who he wrestled in the finals his sophomore year.  That would have been the time to run....

Actually with Howe in the weight class may have been his best shot at getting to the finals that year.  Howe made every other solid wrestler who wanted a title run, so it probably was Duckworths best shot that season.  I just thought it was interesting that he decided to cut so much being the so called clear favorite.

U people really kill me!    What do you mean "Ducking"  pretty broad statement without any proof,  all freakin hearsay.  OHHHH  " I HEARD HE WAS  200 LBS"     do you know that for a fact?  NO.  Was he ,  Maybe but we all know the difference from  football weight  and wrestling weight.     He made 171 more than once and had no problem doing it.  How bout giving the kid some credit that day in and day out he is weighin   174-175 lbs and wrestling  189.   He went up to 189 to wrestle the likes of Sliga,  and could have very easily made 171 for the Connersville Spartan Classic and actually i think he was below   180 anyway at the time.   He did this do dodge who at 189   NO ONE!  actually he went to 189 to wrestle Stevenson  But where was Stevenson,  not at the classic,  (before you jump to much on that I do know he was hurt)  but i guess i could take the lower road like everyone else and say  "I HEARD STEVENSON WAS NOT REALLY HURT AND WAS DODGING DUCKWORTH".   Man that is easy to say, is it true  no,.      I say  you want Duck  do the work come on down to 171 and get him.   Ohhhh   you can't now.   So i guess we can also say  " Why is everyone "ducking" Duckworth,  if you people actually knew anthing of any value you would have know that he had made 171 before and you could have come down to get him.  Otherwise  get off his back!

well said patriotpride I bet the people didn't know that Duckworth weighed in at 182 at the milan 5 way which was like the first weekend in december. Plus everyone on the board has been talking about Duckworth dropping to 171 all season. Did you ever think that maybe he was wresting 189 all year to get the best compitition? Besides why is Sliga's name in the topic he beat sliga like 9-2 so I dout he's dodging sliga. The only two wrestlers at 189 that good beat him are Stevenson and Atwood but as been stated he's been planning to go 171 all season. He even stayed at 189 at connersville hoping to wrestle stevenson. The only reason people was saying he was about 200 was because there was a rumor that he was going 215 and yes he wrestled 215 a couple time but was under 189. infact I think his football weight on the football rost was 195... I could be wrong but I think I heard someone at the milan 5 way say that which Union county was at. Anyone that has played high school football before knows that 90% of the time the football weights on the roster are a little heavy so by saying he cut 30-45 pounds to make 171 is kinda stretching the truth I bet it was more like 15-30. But it doesn't matter how much he cut cause I watched him wrestle twice this year and he looked like he could have easily made 171 but both time his best way of seeking competition was by weighing in over 171 and I they that show a lot but it doesn't show him dodging competition. I wish Duckworth the best of luck as well as everyone else in the state, but next time you say something try to make sure you have facts first.

actually I think his father got on here and said he was 200 before the wrestling season.   I was not saying he was trying to dodge anyone, but I will say most state champions wouldn't cut 30 pounds to get down to there weight for the senior year.  So is it rediculous for me to assume he was ducking people?  Absoloutly not, if you see something out of the norm you have to question it.

I say it makes sense to wrestle the state tournament at your ideal weight.  Why would a kid make it harder on himself if he's a natural 171, why wrestle 189 against guys that cut hard to make that weight?  sounds like he's managed his weight well, and will probably be healthier because of it.  If you had a 80% + chance to win at 171 and a 50% chance to win at 189, I think the choice is clear.

My question wasn't if he could but why would he?  He is a state champion why would you cut 30-45 pounds unless you were running from someone.  I could see making 189 but to go another 18 pounds from me sounds like some running going on.  If I am the clear cut best in the state I do not drop 40 pounds but thats me.  If he is running who is he running from?  Im saying it could be Atwood.

Make up your mind...First you say 30, then you say 30-45, then ur back at 40... If the kid went from 200 to wrestling 171, thats roughly 30 pounds from the end of his football season.. Lets not make it more extreme than it is to make a bigger deal about it...Chances are the kid had a pretty decent amount of extra weight on him from his football season.. Im guessing alot of this weight was shedded in the transition from football to wrestling season...Not a big deal

Anyone else find it ironic that this thread was started by a guy named duck and run? 

1) I thought the name "duck and run" was kind of ironic myself.

2) I think it's funny that someone would say that a state champ would run from competition...

3) If he's signed to wrestle for a college, the college more than likely has told him where they wanted him to be weight-wise.

Running from the same Atwood he beat last year at state while clearly hurt?

From everybody I talked to Atwood was dominating the match and then got a little careless and let the duck back into the match and eneded up losing, but Atwood got his revenge over the summer when he beat duck. I was hopeing these 2 guys would wrestle the same weight come tuornament time but that isnt happeneing so we wont know who is the best. both will win state at there weights. Both are great wrestlers but at the ned of the day i would take ''the wood'' over ''the duck''

and if cutting 30 pounds isnt ''ducking'' then i dont know what is...

Wow!!! Who is best? I'm gonna go with the guy that won under the lights at their weight last year. UH, That was definently Duckworth I saw... Not Atwood...

As far as dominating the match, Duckworth won 11-6. Atwood started out good but got outwrestled when it mattered. Besides, didn't Stevenson beat Atwood this offseason. I think I'd be more concerned with him than a guy at a lower weight class.

I highly doubt that Duckworth is running from Atwood.  On the other hand I do not think he would beat Atwood this year.  Atwood should have beaten him last year.  He was winning most of the match  until getting caught in 2 cradles in the third period.  I don't know how much Duckworth has improved but I can tell you that Atwood isn't even close to the same wrestler he was last year.  He is twice as solid this year.

I highly doubt that Duckworth is running from Atwood.  On the other hand I do not think he would beat Atwood this year.  Atwood should have beaten him last year.  He was winning most of the match  until getting caught in 2 cradles in the third period.  I don't know how much Duckworth has improved but I can tell you that Atwood isn't even close to the same wrestler he was last year.  He is twice as solid this year.

Got caught??? In 2 cradles??? That would be a first. I could understand getting caught once, but definently not twice. I'm not saying Atwood couldn't beat Duckworth, because he obviously can, but you people are trying to take away from a State runner-up/State champion. This whole topic is ridiculous. Nobody is doing any ducking.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.