Weight loss question?

wrestlingsis

On the IHSAA website go to the wrestling page. On the wrestling page go to the link "Individual Wrestler Weigh-In Regulations (pdf)" on that page under the heading "The Regulation" look at number five.

5. A coach may enter his wrestler in the IHSAA tournament series in any weight class that

wrestler may be eligible for provided that wrestler has adhered to their individual weight

management program that states a wrestler may never lose more than 1 ? % of their body

weight per week.

Where do the rules state that your plan is recalculated after each weigh-in or each week?

I do not see anywhere that anyone has posted that your plan is recalculated after each weigh-in or each week. What is being posted is that your weight you can go down each week is the same every week. In week one if you can go down two pounds then every week you can go down two pounds until you get to your lowest allowed weight.

The wrestlers individual weight loss form tells you how much the wrestler can lose each week. For example if you weighed 200lbs on the day you did the skinfold test you would take 200 x .015 (the 1.5% of your weight you are allowed to lose each week) and you get 3lbs. If you lose 3 pounds each week that is ok. If you go four weeks without losing any weight and then cut 12 pounds between weeks four and five you did not follow your plan. So even if your plan says that on week five you could weigh 185 (3lbs per week times 5 weeks) that is only if you have followed the plan. On week four if you weigh-in at 200 you are not following the rules if you then cut 15lbs for the next week.

For example if you weighed 200lbs on the day you did the skinfold test you would take 200 x .015 (the 1.5% of your weight you are allowed to lose each week) and you get 3lbs. If you lose 3 pounds each week that is ok If you go four weeks without losing any weight and then cut 12 pounds between weeks four and five you did not follow your plan. So even if your plan says that on week five you could weigh 185 (3lbs per week times 5 weeks) that is only if you have followed the plan. On week four if you weigh-in at 200 you are not following the rules if you then cut 15lbs for the next week.

You don't think that the example I gave is ok by the rules do you?

The interpretation by the IHSAA Wrestling Commissioner is that it does go from week to week. Violation of the rule results in the coach's suspension. This has been the case in the past as well as I think Mishawaka's Coach Snyder was also penalized as well sometime in the past. I think that in legal terms, case precedent has been set.

I think the commiss needs spell it out better since there seems to different interpretations. Is it week to week? how about team regional and then regionals or is it semi state? If it was spelled out i am sure it would be followed as I doubt anyone is trying to cheat. maybe explain it at the pre season meetings  if need be. just a thought.

At team regionals if a wrestler under 152lbs uses the 1lb allowance to full advantage and advance to regional, they would violate the weight loss plan.

103lbs would be 106lbs.  If a wrestler weighed 110lbs for their initial certification that would mean they could lose 1.65lbs per week or .24lbs per day.  Individual region is 3 days later meaning the wrestler could only lose about .75lbs, meaning if they weighed 106.0lbs they would technically be violating the rules.  This goes all the way up to about 152lbs.

Very good Y2. One of my wrestlers violations was week one when is aplha weight was 132.6 two weeks later he weighed 140.3 because 145 was where he fit in the line-up. Even eating everyday, lifting 3 days a week and practicing the most weight he put on was 140.3 on a Monday . Friday he weighed 138, very normal fluctuation for any kid, but this was noted as a violation by Mr. Cox.  -2.3 pounds in 4 days  violates the 1.5% rule even though is alph weigh-in sheet said he could weigh 128.4 that week. But that reset on Monday when he weighed in so he was only allowed to weigh 139.2. Every coach in the state has violated the 1.5% rule by the interpertation I was given. 139 on Thursday 138 on Saturday is also a violation. It resets every weigh-in not every week. The amount is calculated one time from your alphs weigh-in. Ever had a kid take 2 pounds on Saturday and weight say 132 and then wrestle 130 on Tuesday when no pounds are given....also a violation.

This might be the most ridiculous thing I have heard the IHSAA try to control. (NOTE: I said might).  If you are trying to control a kid or anyone elses weight on a day by day basis in the tenths of pounds you are a fool. It is simply not possible. Y2 you are correct in the team regional weight issue, the IHSAA is setting up a situation where the rule would be violated by numerous wrestlers. If a wrestler gets an extra pound of course he will use it. It might be nothing more than a bottle of water on the way to a meet. The 7% minimum body fat is a good rule. It keeps kids from cutting too much, but daily limits turns us all into bean counters and offers no protection for the kids. Looks to me like a don't ask don't tell policy and crucify the ones who are tattled on.  On another note, where is the coaches association on this issue? Sounds like something the association should be all over.

The athletic director at Coach Gilpin's school called Mr. Cox with questions about the rule.  When the AD told Mr. Cox that the rule was confusing, Mr. Cox proceeded to ream the AD and inform him that the rule was VERY clear.

After reading the posts that for this thread, it's clear to me that the rule is about as clear as mud.  Coaches may want to band together and inform Mr. Cox that there is substantial confusion.

Hypothetical situation (which I'm quite sure happens all the time)

A wrestler is within his weight control plan and weighs in at 102.7 on Saturday and wrestles at 103.  He doesn't have another meet until the following Saturday.  He comes in to practice on Monday afternoon weiging 110.5.  He then weighs 102.5 at weigh in on the following Saturday.  By the rules this is perfectly OK because his previous "official" weigh in he was 102.7.  So, based on this scenario alone the rule is BS.

I don't think anyone was in danger at least in this situation, until they made him cut another two pounds.  We say that this was all about the kids safety, but if he was really as bad off as people say then why have him cut again?

Also if the kid is really judged in a week by week bases then if a kid doesn't have a qualifing weight and weighs 137 when he was suppose to be 140, where does the next week get judged by?

I'll throw out another situation that creates an issue with this rule.  At tournaments, scales come from different schools and although they have all been certified as a true measure of weight, sometimes there is a fluctuation.  I have seen differences this year of as much as .4 of a pound for sure. (Don't get me started on the feedsack scales!) Suppose my athlete is .1 over his minimum weight for the week.  In this situation he could get to a school and step on any certain scale and be .5 over minimum or even worse, .3 UNDER minimum.  How can we penalize some athletes and coaches when we allow this room for error?  I understand completely the difference between this happening intentionally and accidentally.  There are too many variables and too many interpretations in these rulings for coaches to get a uniform answer and testing system.  This puts all of the emphasis on the coaches (deserved) and leaves the IHSAA enough leeway to liberally apply this rule without actual set limits.  I understand Bobby Cox feels this is clear, but when the coaches that are under the threat of penalty aren't exactly sure, that is a problem that he needs to address.

The athletic director at Coach Gilpin's school called Mr. Cox with questions about the rule.  When the AD told Mr. Cox that the rule was confusing, Mr. Cox proceeded to ream the AD and inform him that the rule was VERY clear.

So are saying is that Mr. Cox has taken his last name to heart?  He is working to serve the organization, not the other way around.  He should be there to help.

I am sure the IHSAA only hires the very best, most qualified individuals that are highly driven and motivated for the betterment of high school athletics.  I can't imagine the qualifications that one must have to hold that position, but probably few are able to make the grade.

so what if a kid has only 6 qualifiing weigh ins and now cause he didnt follow the 1.5 percent per week rule , he has only 5... is he now ineligible and coach sits out sectionals ?

Every weigh-in is a qualifying weight-in.  So he would be fine in that reguard.  If he didn't follow the 1.5 rule that just wouldn't have counted if it was his 1 and only scratch weight attempt. 

A qualifying weigh-in occurs when a wrestler weighs in at or above his/her minimum weight for that date as determined by the individual wrestler?s weight management plan. As per IHSAA by-law 60-2.b, a weigh-in for a tournament shall count as one weigh-in toward the total of six (6).

Not all weigh-ins are created equal

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.