Deleware County Tourney

goul149

GASTON -- Yorktown's junior varsity wrestling team was recognized as Delaware County champions after all.

Members of the Tigers' JV squad captured the county trophy on Thursday night, out-pointing Delta for the top spot at the five-team meet 192 1/2 to 160.

"We had eight wrestlers in the finals," Yorktown coach Trent McCormick said. "We asked all of our kids to go and compete. We didn't have an entrant at 112, and 160 got put out in the first round, but the other 12 wrestlers placed in the top four. I'm very proud of that."

McCormick opted to wrestle his JV instead of his No. 6-ranked varsity team in an effort to save the Tigers' allotment of 18 competition points under IHSAA rules for more quality competition. In years past, Yorktown's varsity wrestlers had dominated the county meet and often did not receive much time on the mat when they did wrestle.

Related

Wrestling

Initially, McCormick said he was told his JV team would not be recognized as the county champion if it scored the most points at the meet. But McCormick said he learned on Thursday that the Delaware County Athletic Association apparently had voted back in December to honor the JV wrestlers' scoring at the meet.

"I was unaware of that vote until (Thursday night)," McCormick said. "However it was handled would have been fine with me."

Six JV wrestlers won their respective weight classes to help put the Tigers over the top. First-place finishes included: Rudy Aguirre (103 pounds), Dalton Baysinger (130 pounds), Austin Dent (140 pounds), John Wales (171 pounds), Mick Hart (189 pounds) and Dylan Ervin (285 pounds).

Other county champions were Steven Gonzales (112 pounds), Adam Gordon (119 pounds) and Alec Taylor (145 pounds) for Delta; Stefan Harry (125 pounds), Clayton Harry (135 pounds) and Kyle Buechler (160 pounds) for Wapahani; and Jesse Green (152 pounds) and Josh Folkner (215 pounds) for Wes-Del.

This is pretty sad indeed, but when the other 4 schools in the tourney can't fill in slots, it kinda creates a problem. Yorktown has pretty much been Delaware county wrestling even since I was in High School. At least there is still some pretty strong individual wrestlers from the other schools in the county. If Muncie Central and Muncie South were in this tourney it would be a little more interesting to watch instead of so many ff's, and Yorktown varsity might have stayed in this tourney, mainly for sectional seeding purposes.

This is pretty sad indeed, but when the other 4 schools in the tourney can't fill in slots, it kinda creates a problem. Yorktown has pretty much been Delaware county wrestling even since I was in High School. At least there is still some pretty strong individual wrestlers from the other schools in the county. If Muncie Central and Muncie South were in this tourney it would be a little more interesting to watch instead of so many ff's, and Yorktown varsity might have stayed in this tourney, mainly for sectional seeding purposes.

The do definitely need to revisit the county tourney and who all is invited to participate. I don't know if they can invite Central and South to the county wrestling tourney without having to invite them for all other sports as well (basketball, volleyball, etc.), but it should be looked at.

Not really familiar with this situation at all but I assume(?) McCormick is making a statement to the other schools(and the AD's)....saying this county should be more competitive than this in wrestling so I'm sending my JV? Or is the fact that Yorktown is just stacked and he wanted to get the JV mat time? Has this been done before at other schools? I personally thinks its a bold move and if I was the AD(or coach) at another school it would *$!@# me off. Which maybe is a good thing.

One of the big problems that I see with the situation is that all along it was assumed that yorktown was not allowed to win this tourney due to the fact that they had used all of their alotted 18 points. Now that you let a JV team be considered the champion for a varsity tourney, do they get charged the 2 points for the tourney? Where does this lead to? If you are coaching a team with 90 wrestlers and you have a weak conference, are you going to be able to send your JV team in to get the conference title and while your varsity team gets to go to a big dual tournament to get better competition? I understand you want better competition for your varsity wrestlers, but now that this has happened, I can see alot of coaches trying to pull the same thing to get some of their JV guys varsity level matches at weaker varsity tournaments.

What is the goal of our sport?  Do you wanna go get blown out of the water by another team year in and year out?  If I'm a program that is working on improving, and a Mishawaka or a Perry Merridian asked if they could send their JV team to compete in a super six, I would let them.  It's only going to help both wrestlers and the teams there.  I think this could be a positive step for some tournaments and for teams that have full JV Lineups.  I'm sure people like Penn who have 6 full lineups would love to send their some of their JV teams to a super six where they could be competitive.

I don't have a problem with trying to get better competition. I just see a problem with the points system in how many meets you can get into in one season. If a JV team can win a varsity tourney, shouldn't they be charged the points for being in a varsity tourney. Am I wrong here?

navygonzo, i think if the jv team does win they arent actually going to be the champions and the second place team would be the champions..not positive tho..

Yorktown was crowned the champions... Read the 3rd post in this topic. It is straight out of the Muncie paper. I don't have a problem with Yorktown winning. Its just weird how a JV team can be crowned the champs of a varsity tourney and not get charged any of the allotted 18 points. I'm sure Mishawaka would love to send their JV to some of the other dual tournaments and beat on some of the weaker schools varsity squads, and I personally wouldn't care. But if this is allowed, then the rules should be reevaluated. Maybe it was just an execption for the county tourney???

Most of the top programs across the country compete in multiple varsity events almost every weekend.  They have an A team and a B team (some even a C team) and then their JV team.  Indiana teams don't normally do this, but I have seen situations where Indiana teams have done it.

As far as the 18 points, all of the teams that I have coached have been right at that limit.  However, I have always thought that the points referred to individual weigh-ins rather than team events.  An individual can't have more than 18 points, which normally only affects wrestlers who spend some time on varsity and some time on JV.  Keeping track of each individual's weigh-in points to make sure they don't go over their limit can be tricky near the end of the season.  For Yorktown, since the varsity wrestlers didn't wrestle in the county tournament and instead wrestled at a different tournament, then their individual weigh-in points should be within the rules.

To repeat something that was stated in another thread about this topic, Coach McCormick went to the other county coaches and ADs to ask permission to send their JV team.  He told them that he would be okay if everyone decided he had to bring his varsity and that he'd be okay if his JV guys weren't allowed to officially win the tournament.  Coach McCormick never intended this to be a snub or to tick off the other schools - he asked permission to do it.

NavyGonzo,

Sounds like you are upset with Yorktown and just want to see them charged varsity points? Fine, then it would only go towards the individuals that wrestled. I would say that had the points to spare of the coaches wouldn't have wrestled them. Let's say your brother is hurt and doesn't wrestle in a tourney, but the rest of the team does. Should your brother be charged the points? That is actually using the same rationale. I also don't feel it was a bout better competition, just mat time in general. I think there was suppose to be 70 mtches and in fact there were 45. Most kids there got 1 match. Heck, your brother only got one and was charged the 2 points. I would love to see your brother get a full schedule of matches and see what he could really do? I would say State Champion would be a possibility. Congrats to Yorktown, I don't think a single kid from Yorktown was seeded and they had 6 champs and 8 in the finals.

NavyGonzo,

Sounds like you are upset with Yorktown and just want to see them charged varsity points? Fine, then it would only go towards the individuals that wrestled. I would say that had the points to spare of the coaches wouldn't have wrestled them. Let's say your brother is hurt and doesn't wrestle in a tourney, but the rest of the team does. Should your brother be charged the points? That is actually using the same rationale. I also don't feel it was a bout better competition, just mat time in general. I think there was suppose to be 70 mtches and in fact there were 45. Most kids there got 1 match. Heck, your brother only got one and was charged the 2 points. I would love to see your brother get a full schedule of matches and see what he could really do? I would say State Champion would be a possibility. Congrats to Yorktown, I don't think a single kid from Yorktown was seeded and they had 6 champs and 8 in the finals.

Not upset with Yorktown at all. In fact, I was confused on how this all went and I just thought that Yorktown wasn't allowed to win this meet because they used all of their points or something like that. I thought points went towards the varsity team as a whole and since they won a varsity tourney, I thought they would be charged. As long as everyone else was ok with them wrestling the JV, its fine with me too, but I thought the prevision was they weren't allowed to win, but I guess that changed. And as for my bother is concerned, leave him out of this... I'm not really sure what you mean by "lets see what he can do?" He has already shown what he can do and will continue to do so.

Thank you GrecoCoach. I understand what you are saying. I guess would would have a better understanding if I were at a school that could fill almost two complete teams.

It is still hard for me to believe that Delta has slipped so far.  They were THE Powerhouse program in the 80's.  I wrestled alot of high quality wrestlers in freestyle meets from the Muncie area(most were from Delta) when I was younger.  Coach McCormick was one of those wrestlers from Delta's State Teams.  We drove over an hour to watch them wrestle dual meets.  I remember watching David Palmer wrestle.  HE WAS A FIRST CLASS STUD.  I think they should open the meet to all of Delaware county.  South and Central would make the tourney interesting.

Also, on a side note if the Stout sisters would have continued to wrestle when they got older our state would be years ahead of others in female wrestling.  Those two girls were VERY, VERY, VERY, good. 

Thank you GrecoCoach. I understand what you are saying. I guess would would have a better understanding if I were at a school that could fill almost two complete teams.

Yorktown typically only has ~25-30 wrestlers out for the team (at least that is how it has been in years past), often with multiple wrestlers in the same weight class.  Hardly enough to fill 2 teams.  Due to their small school size, they don't have near the JV numbers of Mishawaka, Penn, Perry Meridian, and other perennial powerhouses who roll 3-4 deep at every weight.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.