Mishawaka beats Lakeshore, Mich.

MISHCAVEFAN

MISHAWAKA 30, LAKESHORE 18

At Stevensville

103 - Kyle Frese (L) dec. Grant Marstolf 6-3; 112: Paul Beck (M) dec. Tyler Daniels 3-0; 119: Tyler Frese (L) dec. Layten Binion 5-1; 125: Taylor Wisler (M) dec. Brett Glaske 5-2; 130: Nick Schrader (M) dec. Travis Dragomer 9-3; 135: Matt Guerre (M) dec. Jordan Florian 7-1; 140: Payne Hayden (L) pinned Anthony Eddy 5:37; 145: Caleb Nitz (L) dec. Darius Marshall 12-6; 152: Ryan Stahl (M) dec. Nick Humes 5-3; 160: Alex White (M) tech fall over Christian Nitz 26-11; 171: Richard Morin (M) dec. Zach Weir 6-4; 189: Tyler Humes (L) dec. Danny Abu-shehab 12-5; 215: Christian Lentz (M) major ded. Ryan Brandt 19-6; 285: Travis Thomas (M) dec. Kyle Spear 9-4.

Records: Mishawaka 19-0, Lakeshore 16-2

Mishawaka beat Penn 36-21

Shoulda been more like about 40 to 15, but it wasn't thanks to a Binion getting pinned in the last 30 seconds or so when he more that likely should have gotten a Major. But, thats wrestling right?

Lakeshore is highly ranked in Michigan as was Lowell, Michigan.  Both were in the top 3 for their divisions I believe.  Nice win for the Cavemen last night.  The Lakeshore coach just won his 735th dual meet or something like that a few weeks back.  He's been at Lakeshore for 40 years or something around that.

Here is an article about Lakeshore's coach..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/all-s-bittenbender.7129512jan04,0,1247499.story?track=rss-topicgallery 

Lakeshore is highly ranked in Michigan as was Lowell, Michigan.  Both were in the top 3 for their divisions I believe.  Nice win for the Cavemen last night.  The Lakeshore coach just won his 735th dual meet or something like that a few weeks back.  He's been at Lakeshore for 40 years or something around that.

Here is an article about Lakeshore's coach..

http://www.chicagotribune.com/topic/all-s-bittenbender.7129512jan04,0,1247499.story?track=rss-topicgallery 

I like his quote-  ''Wrestling is the type of sport that grows on you,'' he said. ''It is a family and almost like a religion, like the Navy Seals or the Marine Corps. It's a special group and a tough sport, and I think there is a lot of respect among individuals who participate.''

Shoulda been more like about 40 to 15, but it wasn't thanks to a Binion getting pinned in the last 30 seconds or so when he more that likely should have gotten a Major. But, thats wrestling right?

Pin

I wasn't stating what the score should of been . I was stating what the final score was on that night . The next time these two meet , it could be 40-15 or worse . But on that night , it was 36-21 .

m109r,

I was just saying the match wasn't as close as the score entailed. Sometimes the reverse is true where matches are closer than the score entailed. However the score that night was legitimately 36-21.

m109r,

I was just saying the match wasn't as close as the score entailed. Sometimes the reverse is true where matches are closer than the score entailed. However the score that night was legitimately 36-21.

I think the match was that close(on that night). Mishawaka only had a 3 point lead with 3 matches to go. There were some very close matches .Sokol lost to Guerra by a point , Kunzee lost to Morin in overtime . Chappel pinning Binion was huge , as well as Varner not giving up a major to Beck,Manspeaker not giving up a major to Shrader and Johnson not giving up a major to Thomas .The bright side for Penn , I believe Varner , Chappel and Manspeaker are all Freshman . This dual next year should be real interesting .

M109,

I was at the match, I have no idea if you were but i can say this. Why was the match a 3 pointer with 3 matches to go? Because of one overly aggressive blast double after a kid had dominated a match. Do the points count for Penn in that match? Yes they most certainly do! But the fact is that Penn got rather lucky on that one. But sometimes luck is involed in sports, and it by no means takes away the fact that the score was somewhat close. But one must also look at the way Penn wrestled, they were very tentative and were by far on the defensive the most of the night, which quite frankly surprised me. But if you are defensive enough you can make scores alot closer than the match was and as a result give up less team points. This dual meet was alot like watching a 3-1 or 5-2 match between two wrestlers, where despite the score, one wrestler dominated and was the aggressor, while the other wrestler was tryin to keep the other person from scoring more than he was trying to score himself.

As for next year, I think Penn will most certainly win the meet.

M109,

I was at the match, I have no idea if you were but i can say this. Why was the match a 3 pointer with 3 matches to go? Because of one overly aggressive blast double after a kid had dominated a match. Do the points count for Penn in that match? Yes they most certainly do! But the fact is that Penn got rather lucky on that one.

How about Mishawaka fans giving us all a break and quit whining about Binion losing that match.

I have seen many wrestlers over the years lose a match they were ahead on points.

A loss is still a loss, getting pinned is still getting pinned.

It wasn't a "quick" pin either. Binion lost the scramble after the attempted double, tried for a good amount of time to roll out or escape and couldn't and got pinned.

This is why we they wrestle the matches and don't just hand out wins by what others "think" will or should happen.

How about giving some credit to the other wrestler for the pin.

ccbig,

I was not saying the Penn kid did not legitimately get the pin, i also did not say he shouldn't get credit. Fact is he was down and he didn't give up. However, sometimes the good moves happen because another person makes a bad move. This was one of those situations where the mishawaka wrestler created the opportunity for the pin and the Penn wrestler took advantage of it, kudos for that. But fact is that pin does not happen if it wasn't for the over aggressive blast double made by a wrestler who was easily winning the match, and there is nothing wrong with saying that. By making such a statement one does not necessarily do so in a manner to take away from the other wrestler, instead one could make such a statement as an analysis of the match which is the context i made the statement in.

All I am saying is that the Mishawaka/Penn match was not as close as it appeared on paper. I mean it was a 15 point match, but the matches were 9-5 and was a few seconds away from being a 10-4 match with a 25 point differential. Next year however will be a different story in my opinion in a manner which Penn will enjoy.

yeah, penn wrestled tough that night..  but that stalling warning given to binion was unwarranted, so layten got frustrated and shot the hardest blast double to his back.. congrats to chapple on capitalizing but "pin" is totally correct on how different the score could've been w/ an extra point onto any of the matches, which didn't happen but thats why its a message and discussion board to discuss our thoughts on how it went or how close it was.. no one is whining or taking credit away from where credit is due

ccbig,

I was not saying the Penn kid did not legitimately get the pin, i also did not say he shouldn't get credit. Fact is he was down and he didn't give up. However, sometimes the good moves happen because another person makes a bad move. This was one of those situations where the mishawaka wrestler created the opportunity for the pin and the Penn wrestler took advantage of it, kudos for that. But fact is that pin does not happen if it wasn't for the over aggressive blast double made by a wrestler who was easily winning the match, and there is nothing wrong with saying that. By making such a statement one does not necessarily do so in a manner to take away from the other wrestler, instead one could make such a statement as an analysis of the match which is the context i made the statement in.

All I am saying is that the Mishawaka/Penn match was not as close as it appeared on paper. I mean it was a 15 point match, but the matches were 9-5 and was a few seconds away from being a 10-4 match with a 25 point differential. Next year however will be a different story in my opinion in a manner which Penn will enjoy.

Pin

Chappel was losing today to Mitch Hartman of South Bend Clay 14-4 , Chappel pinned him with 10 seconds left in the match . Coincedence ? I think not , as Hartman was gassed and Chappel has one heck of a gas tank .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.