"Sleepers" at 130, 135, 145, 152, 189 and HWT at State

sodakchamp

the reason that rueger is unranked at this point is that he has not shown that he is capable of beating van horn in the last several years and van horn is having a trying season to say the least against some very average competition.  125 at evansville semi state last year was awful with all 4 of the qualifiers losing on Friday night to Fort Wayne's 125 pounders.  Out of those 4 qualifiers from evansville, rueger was 3rd behind van horn and tim martin from new albany.  this year van horn has already lost to black from pike, guerra from mishawaka, schurg from crown point, and weekly from jeffersonville... none of them worldbeaters.  this year tim martin has already lost to weekly from jeffersonville, schofield from franklin by major decision, and witt from floyd central.. again schofield is tough and the other two are losses to very average kids. this is why rueger is unranked

the reason that rueger is unranked at this point is that he has not shown that he is capable of beating van horn in the last several years and van horn is having a trying season to say the least against some very average competition.  125 at evansville semi state last year was awful with all 4 of the qualifiers losing on Friday night to Fort Wayne's 125 pounders.  Out of those 4 qualifiers from evansville, rueger was 3rd behind van horn and tim martin from new albany.  this year van horn has already lost to black from pike, guerra from mishawaka, schurg from crown point, and weekly from jeffersonville... none of them worldbeaters.  this year tim martin has already lost to weekly from jeffersonville, schofield from franklin by major decision, and witt from floyd central.. again schofield is tough and the other two are losses to very average kids. this is why rueger is unranked

All I can say to that is in the past you have seen kids not even make it to state and then the next year win or place in the top three, yet here you have a sophmore that has already went to state, Im telling you one of us will be wrong come semi state and state time! 

i by no means am saying that blake rueger will not qualify for state or even that he won't place at state at 135.. the aim of the rankings is not to capture the 16 state qualifiers, the aim of the rankings is to capture the 16 BEST kids regardless of geography.  i feel that the 16 ranked kids at 135 would all beat blake rueger.  the way the geography works out, some of these ranked kids will be left home at semi-state by the draws and the lack of wrestle-backs, and rueger very likely will be a state qualifier and possibly a state medalist, although it would be surprising to me if he beat someone ranked in the top 16 on his way through the tournament series..

Here is one from way down south Blake Marshall has lost three times but only to ranked kids.  He wrestled Manning from South Dearborn and lost 6-5 I think.  That kid is ranked 8th.

Marshall should have beat manning i believe but gave up some points with short time left.

I know I started this post, but I have to give a boost to the Delphi 215 pounder.  Roy Anderson has been getting the job done and wrestles with passion.  Sometimes (especially with all of the talent out there) we miss those kids who are giving everything they got out on the mat, and who started late (no USA or AAU background) and sometimes they slay giants.  Looking forward to watching Roy at sectionals and hopefully, beyond.  The kid's heart is in his eyes when he is on the mat...fun to watch and who doesn't like a good match?  Apparently, with all of this feedback, the post should have been sleepers for all weights.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.