Chesterton's Quiroz welcomes a challenge

Justdo^it135

I do not see any getting close to McMurry except maybe Willis and Vlahoes.

Thats my opinion

that was a 8 to 5 beating last year in the finals. Come on Man Quiroz Has just as good of a shot to beat McMurray as any one. First try comes this weekend at DAC. And in a Anthony Quiroz vs Vhalos match my money would be on ace maybe a ticket Rd match Merrillville Semi state is going to leave some good 160's Home

McMurray2x Champ

Quiroz 2nd

Vhalos SQ

Alex White SQ

Malcolm White SSQ

Kunzee SSQ

Nzeata SSQ

I do not see any getting close to McMurry except maybe Willis and Vlahoes.

Thats my opinion

I think Quiroz has a good shot at beating McMurry this year.  He was a frosh last year and did decent against him. 

I'm glad you understood the fictitious correlation Hillbilly Jim  ;D.  The article made me reflect upon what Wesley's mind-set must have been like(back in the day).  "I definitely want to get him back," Quiroz said. "Early in the season last year, he was beating me bad. Once we got to state I was closing the gap."

By the way... I wish both of the wrestlers discussed in the above-linked article the best of luck this season.

Even the best can lose once in a while, just ask Mr Gable

what about Cael Sanderson??? ;)

I think McMurray will win again when it counts the most. Ya Quiroz closed the gap throughout the season but anybody who is a true wrestling fan knows how hard it is to beat the same person more than once, let alone six times, and McMurray was able to win all six. He's my pick. Good Luck to both this season!

The only thing is Kunzee and White have split and Quiroz and McMurray are in the Same regional so they could draw some one like White or Vhalos in the Ticket Rd

White and kunze haven't split they wrestled once at the Al Smith and White won a 5-4 decision w/ 2 neutral points  against a game kunze though. Kunze bumped and wrestled 171 for the duel meet in which White wrestled and beat Hummer.

McMurray will not lose to Quiroz at all this year.

I agree, again I know Quiroz will not beat Willis either. McMurray and Willis hopefully in the Finals. I like Quiroz but two years ago he had problems beating Lynde, Decker, and many others didn't even make the schoolboy team he is by far the most improved wrestler in the last few years. He had a great tourney run last year, we will see. The best of luck. 

I think Quiroz has the talent and desire to make it to the state finals again after seeing Quiroz win the Mishawaka Invite over a tough opponent.  He has physically matured since last year and has always had good hips to enable him to be an awesome scramber.  But beating Sean is another story!  Sean has not lost in Indiana in a long time.  These two Regionites will have some great matches this year and I hope the last one is in the State Finals.  It could be like the McGill/Cosgrove battles of several years ago.

Quiroz made a huge impression on me last year in the semi state and state grinding out match after match against some very tough opponents but I do not see him beating McMurry either.  Hopefully they will get a chance to match up again under the lights and he can prove a lot of people wrong much like he did last year.  Good luck!

Both are great wrestlers and great young men.  However, drive can never be estimated.  Doesn't the anticipation of a state match-up make the Conseco food prices look like Crack-Donald's dollar menu?  Sounds like both young men are pushing hard, and isn't that why we pay admission?

I agree, again I know Quiroz will not beat Willis either. McMurray and Willis hopefully in the Finals. I like Quiroz but two years ago he had problems beating Lynde, Decker, and many others didn't even make the schoolboy team he is by far the most improved wrestler in the last few years. He had a great tourney run last year, we will see. The best of luck. 

The fact that he was losing to people as a school boy isn't really important.  The fact that he was a state runner up as a Freshman speaks volumes for his current ability.  I would imagine that he has improved quite a bit from last year as well, since most wrestlers tend to make their biggest improvement gains from their Freshman to their Sophmore year.

this weight class could get interesting. I remember of arguments two years when Galka was going for his third championship but Sean embraced it and came out on top.  Idk to me this sounds like the same type of story.

After watching Willis lastnight I believe he will be the 160 lb state champ!! The first time Ty and McMurray wrestled Tyler had only been practicing for about a week do to football. He is a much better wrestler at this time in the season.

I watched Anthony Quiroz wrestle and win at the Al Smith tournament @ 152.

I would be willing to bet he will wrestle 152 come tournament time, but who knows?

Quiroz won the Al Smith at 160

Nice article !   Glad to see the newspapers giving wrestlers the exposure they deserve.   Love the rivalries !    What time are the DAC finals Saturday ?

Quiroz  is an excellent counter wrestler.   I've seen him wrestle about 5-6 times and even though he doesn't initiate much offense,  he's great at stuffing his opponents and scoring off their offense.   As far as beating McMurray,  I don't see it happening.  If Quiroz falls behind in the score he'll have a tough time scoring points if his opponent isn't coming after him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.