best and worst sectionals and regionals

duck_and_run

So in order to build a program, you should only cater to your elite kids and the others just throw to the side?  Should we be like  Big Dan says and if you can't run with the big dogs there is no use to run at all?

thats right brotha!!!  Survival of the fittest!!  Charles Einstein was right.  Take your tree huggin lib agenda elsewhere mr 2Y

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok.  Let's look at another example.  Look at the great game of Indiana High School GOLF are we going to make excusses for individuals and teams because they can't compete with bigger schools because the course they play on is crap and unfair.  No! We look at this and say wow that team is good because all 5 of their players worked hard in the summer months to prepare themselves for the season.  What I am saying is that kids that want to work hard in a particular sport and want to be the best in that sport will find a way of doing so.  I can tell you with wrestling its the same way!  During the off season your kids have the same opportunity like the Crown Points and other schools to participate in clubs, AAU Tournaments and much more if they have the desire too.   The problem what you see is the majority of the kids choose not too.  Some of the BEST individuals come from small schools.  

So for a small school to be successful in wrestling we must sacrifice the other sports in the athletic program so that the kids can train wrestling and wrestling only year round.  That is a splendid idea.

So if you were at a 2A school and wanted to be a football powerhouse you would schedule Penn, Warren Central, Lowell, Bishop Dwenger, etc?  Your feelings are if you get pounded on enough you will get better?

Bishop Luers Game Results

All games

Overall  Conference

Date        Opponent                Score      Record    Record

----        --------                -----    --------  --------

* Aug 21      SNIDER                  13-27 L      0-1      0-1

* Aug 28      NORTHROP              W 47-0        1-1      1-1

* Sep 04  at FW South Side          25-50 L      1-2      1-2

* Sep 11  at Harding              W 14-8        2-2      2-2

* Sep 18      FW WAYNE                18-36 L      2-3      2-3

* Sep 25      CONCORDIA            OT 35-42 L      2-4      2-4

* Oct 02      FW NORTH SIDE        W 24-14        3-4      3-4

* Oct 09  at Elmhurst              W 49-13        4-4      4-4

* Oct 16  at Bishop Dwenger          0-62 L      4-5      4-5

# Oct 23  at Manchester            W 45-21        5-5      4-5

# Oct 30      EASTERN              W 35-22        6-5      4-5

# Nov 06      WINCHESTER            W 68-0        7-5      4-5

# Nov 13  at Cass                  W 54-53 2ot    8-5      4-5

# Nov 20      RENSSELAER CENTRAL    W 52-21        9-5      4-5

# Nov 27  vs Monrovia              W 24-17      10-5      4-5

Golf and wrestling are NOT an equal comparrison.  In Golf you compete against the Course, and so is your opponent.  Now to be the best yes you have to work hard, but working hard doesn't guarantee you a damn thing.  In wrestling mostly in the team aspect of it, school size matters.  The Traditionalists can get on and say "its all about how hard you work" "Schedule tougher opponents"  etc etc etc.  

So for a small school to be successful in wrestling we must sacrifice the other sports in the athletic program so that the kids can train wrestling and wrestling only year round.  That is a splendid idea.

No!  I didn't say that............  For Example, Let's look at Marcus Shrewsberry last year, I believe he was the starting quarterback for the CP Dogs.  Did he have to stick to 1 sport to be a State Wrestling Champ????

thats right brotha!!!  Only way ur gonna have a prayer!  Speaking of golf....the big dawgs dominate that "sport" too.  I don't know if the small schools are playin putt putt or what but they ain't on the same level.

No!  I didn't say that............  For Example, Let's look at Marcus Shrewsberry last year, I believe he was the starting quarterback for the CP Dogs.  Did he have to stick to 1 sport to be a State Wrestling Champ????

Fall sports OK.  Football is good for the big uglies, especially if your battling in the trenches.  Cross country is good for lil ones to get their lungs ready for 6 minutes on the match.  Spring and summer are for freestyle brotha!

So you can name one kid, geeze if one person can do it, why not everyone?

So if you were at a 2A school and wanted to be a football powerhouse you would schedule Penn, Warren Central, Lowell, Bishop Dwenger, etc?  Your feelings are if you get pounded on enough you will get better?

Of course not, football is a TEAM sport with 22 guys on the field at the same time. Wrestling is an individual act with your points going to a team score. In wrestling you could wrestle a bigger school at least for the fact that everyone's gonna get a match. Why would you want to wrestle another small school that possibly has forfeits in weight classes where you have kids? Where does it end with "class wrestling"? Do you not wrestle small schools like Delphi or Union County because they have studs that would pulverize the kids in their weight classes on your team?

Of course not, football is a TEAM sport with 22 guys on the field at the same time. Wrestling is an individual act with your points going to a team score. In wrestling you could wrestle a bigger school at least for the fact that everyone's gonna get a match. Why would you want to wrestle another small school that possibly has forfeits in weight classes where you have kids? Where does it end with "class wrestling"? Do you not wrestle small schools like Delphi or Union County because they have studs that would pulverize the kids in their weight classes on your team?

Most small schools only play 15-20 kids a majority of the time in football.  You can put anyone at any position, wrestling is a lot tougher to find 14 guys evenly spaced out between 103 and 285lbs.  Small schools RARELY have the luxury of having 22 different starters in football. 

Most schools wrestle teams that are small due to conference rules and to wrestle teams in their own sectional.  Are you saying that we should just stop scheduling small schools and only wrestle the big dawgs? 

I look at class wrestling as simple as the words a and the. Do you want to be a champion or the champion!

ff

I think we have all documented that no competitor would say that he wants to only be one of a few champions.  I think we have also documented that the logic is based around health of the sport, not around what an individual or the crowd at conseco gets out of it.  All of those are important, but not as important as the overall health of the sport in our state.

I look at class wrestling as simple as the words a and the. Do you want to be a champion or the champion!

ff

Check the biographies of wrestlers in college. Do the guys from states that class say "Was one of the state champions" was "The state champion in Division X,Y,Z." I see no way class wrestling hurts the sport. It gets more exposure for our quality wrestlers, breathes hope in to the small programs that struggle to compete with the large powerhouses, and also helps make things more exciting for fans.

The only argument I see against class wrestling is this fear of change I've seen all my life in Indiana. I would like to see some hard evidence on how not classing helps.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.