Cathedral @ Perry Meridian - Wednesday, January 13th

What a great dual. Perry is a smidge deeper than Cathedral right now. Congrats to the Falcons on a hard fought win.

The Good:

* McKinley, Bova, Cooper, Johnson, Venezia, Harvey, Gillum, Neibarger, Willis, Stringfield

* The crowd - I would guess somewhere close to 500. A damn good Wednesday night crowd. Regular crowd shuffles in.

* Coach McGinley couldn't have crafted a better gameplan. Cathedral had Perry on the ropes from the start.

* Perry's alumni - not very pretty, but a nice group. Get Frank Hammond, Gill Journey, and the Dibberns and you have quite a wolfpack.

* Perry's numbers - Must have had 70 participants in uniforms.

* Cathedral's underclassmen - best in the state. 6 of their top 7 weights are frosh and soph.

The Bad:  

* Not getting to see Jacob Tonte wrestle. Strategy and a good one. But, always want to see the action from a rock star like Tonte Jr.

* The freaking color guard/synchronized gymnastics between J/V and varsity matches. Disgusting.  

* The lighting. If you are going to dim the lights for effect, make sure you know how the gym lights work.

* The clock. If you have problems with your own clock operator, don't bitch about it. Fix it.  

* Men in Black. Coach's Black shirt, black tie, black pants. At least get the blacks to be match, gents. You can do it.

* Cathedral's JV team. Not ever very relevant, but damn. What an ass whipping.

* Coach Pleak's hair. Not sure how you have a wife.

The 215 match was what decided it. Hats off to a nice victory by Cooper. Big fall by Gillum at 135 for Cathedral. Big fall by Johnson at 140 for Perry. Big win for frosh Neibarger over the senior at 160. Big win for Venezia over Bova. Can't ask for more than 7 - 7 heads-up.

And for Cathedral's #17 ranking, that is fine. This is the second outing for the full squad at weight. You can take the Connersville loss and see if we can avenge it next week. Roncalli vs. Cathedral next Wednesday, January 20th at CHS. Then, one last showdown with the foot stomping, mustache-bash in Bloomington to see if we are worthy of a top 5 -10 ranking for the tourney. We are young as hell, but improving drastically.

Congrats, Perry. Hope we see you again at CG.  

What did you think about the johnson oskins match??? I missed it but I heard that Johnson had an illegal scissors of the head before he pinned oskins. When I saw it, Johnsons didn't have the head scissored, but  I might have missed it at first. Just wondering if anyone else saw it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you think about the johnson oskins match??? I missed it but I heard that Johnson had an illegal scissors of the head before he pinned oskins. When I saw it, Johnsons didn't have the head scissored, but  I might have missed it at first. Just wondering if anyone else saw it.

Eh, it might have been a little scissors, but can't say the outcome wouldn't have been the same with a fall. I believe it was 3rd period, so Sammy held off the quality points admirably.

One thing is for sure, Perry had great referrees. Clark is arguably the best in the State and an Olympic Freestyle referee. He promotes active wrestling. He wasn't reffing the Oskins - Johnson match, but he would have influenced a correction if needed. Props to Perry for having two referees for this high-profile match. 

hey almost every match cathedral was supposed to win perry stalled extremely and im sorry but there wer some bogus stalling calls in the 215 match he didnt try to come out wit that 2 on 1 in a whole 2 mins with it and it is a move that buchanan could not move from the bottom on and at 160 kid never came out of a square stance and then the 285 match all he did was back straight up and turn and shoot

And no one in the Cathedral camp was "hypocritical" when it was their guy in "survival mode".  Don't act like this is a one-sided issue. Both teams had matches where the other man was an overwhelming favorite and in those matches the underdog does what he can to wrestle 6 minutes. Both coaches wanted more stalling calls when their guy was the aggressor. As was stated previously, Tom Clark refereed in the Olympics, so if you can top those credentials then feel free to criticize his judgement. It was a fairly officiated, fairly wrestled dual meet and Perry Meridian won. Accept it and move on.

And no one in the Cathedral camp was "hypocritical" when it was their guy in "survival mode".  Don't act like this is a one-sided issue. Both teams had matches where the other man was an overwhelming favorite and in those matches the underdog does what he can to wrestle 6 minutes. Both coaches wanted more stalling calls when their guy was the aggressor. As was stated previously, Tom Clark refereed in the Olympics, so if you can top those credentials then feel free to criticize his judgement. It was a fairly officiated, fairly wrestled dual meet and Perry Meridian won. Accept it and move on.

I don't recall saying that Perry were the only ones in survival mode.  Just watching the coaches.  I also don't recall criticizing the Refs.  Don't put words in my mouth.

Here are your words. "What got me was how Hypocritical the Perry coach was about them." If you did not mean to imply that ONLY the Perry coach was hypocritical about them, then why not say, what got me was how hypocritical both coaches were about them. As for my comments regarding the officiating, they were not directed at you, but at other responses to this thread. I realize that you are a Cathedral dad and that role colors your perspective to some degree. For anyone with a rooting interest in this match, that is only natural. What I would offer is that both Coach McGinley and Coach Tonte were  coaching their guts out, all of the kids wrestled their guts out, the officials did a sound job and that for this night the Falcons were the better team. As Dingo stated, congrats to both the Irish and the Falcons and lets hope this continues as a spirited, highly competitive, but civil battle between 2 of Indiana's finest programs 

Decbell1,

Great job on rankings. I appreciate your hard work. As for Catherdral goes they finally have their team. Stokes is at hw, Buchanon down to 215, Gillum at 135. They fft. 2 wieghts and lost to portage on an unsportsmanlike, 33-33. They had 2 weights filled at Connersville. They are much better now. It will be a good dual between Cathedral and Roncalli.

Now as for Perry I want to give a recap of the last 15 days (since Dec. 30th) after dropping 4 spots in the rankings. Here is who they wrestled - wow!!

Beat # 19 Carmel 42-17

Beat # 17 Catherdral 33-29

Beat # 15 New Pal 47-15

Beat # 11 Bellmont 39-34

Beat # 10 Bloomington  South 33-20 ( South lost by 5 to EMD)

Beat # 9 Penn 47-19 (look at the Penn - Mishawalca 36-21 match to see how much closer PM-Mish. could have been)

Beat # 8 Portage 39-17

Beat # 7 Castle 37-18 (Castle lost to EMD by 2, merriville lost to EMD by more)

Beat Delphi 48-25 (team state finalists)

Beat Warren Central 51-24 (Warren  has been ranked)

Lost to #1 Ranked Mishawaka 47-12

Pretty good run for the last 15 days - I would hope PM is battle tested.

? Reply #139 on: Today at 11:33:28 AM ? Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow Tony?where to begin? The only complaint I had with anything written here was the notion that ONLY the Perry coaches/wrestlers/fans complain and whine about perceived slights. Everyone gets their blinders on in a dual like this and it is tough to step back and try to gain some objectivity. As for Cooper, where did you get the idea that I ?knew he was going to win all week?? He has been wrestling well recently and I saw that match as a slight underdog for Cooper, but that is why we wrestle the matches. Now on to the officials?that ?other schmuck? is Tom Clark who officiated Greco in the Olympics, so you might want to show some respect and defer to his judgment. As for our ranking, maybe we are not the 2nd best team in the state. I never claimed that we were. I would say that we are definitely a top 5 team, which I would say is close to 2nd best. Mishawaka is clearly #1. Behind them, Crown Point, Yorktown Mater Dei and Perry Meridian are in the mix. It depends on who shows up that day. Merrillville is also very tough (as are several others), but they have lost to Crown Point and only one of those can make it to team state. Let?s talk about backing into state. Your comments are not just an insult to us but to teams like Avon and Bloomington South (who we had to beat last year) and teams like New Palestine, Warren Central and Roncalli (who we have beaten in the past). There was even a time not long ago when Cathedral and Perry Meridian went through the same semi state and we managed to make 2 trips to state then. So I would say our road is no easier than Cathedral's. Would you prefer that we make a 3 hour trip to wrestle Mishawaka, Crown Point or Mater Dei so we don?t ?back in? to the state finals again? Or do the geographically based match ups determined by the IHSAA make more sense? I guess the most troubling thing is the vitriolic tone of your post. What has Tonte (Coach or son) done to make you hate them so much? Is it just overhyped feelings due to the intensity of the Cathedral/Perry Meridian rivalry? Is it anger that your injury last year kept you off of the podium, while the ?unworthy? Jacob Tonte (who you beat twice) was on the podium? Or do you just hate for no good reason? Look, wrestling is a great sport. It teaches many valuable life lessons, among them, how to deal with disappointment and defeat. My suggestion to you is to not lose your passion, but try to redirect it in a more meaningful and productive direction. I would rather see a happy, productive adversary that a bitter twisted enemy any day. Besides, you will live so much longer, and be so much happier. Anyway, I guess I have been a bit long-winded here, but as Shakespeare said ?since brevity is the soul of wit?I shall be brief?he then continued on a rather long soliloquy. Best of luck to the Irish and I hope we meet at Center Grove.

To be quite honest, my hat is off to Perry. This is not an extremely strong and talented team. It is not loaded with studs. Instead they have hard working, hardnose program kids carrying their team. There is no program or team in the state that would not love to have what Perry has and that would include the top teams in the state. Can any other coach in the state take this Perry group of kids and be this competitive? I wish more could. This would make for some damn exciting wrestling, just like we saw last night. There are no losers here. Just great wrestling.

Now as for Perry I want to give a recap of the last 15 days (since Dec. 30th) after dropping 4 spots in the rankings. Here is who they wrestled - wow!!

Beat # 19 Carmel 42-17

Beat # 17 Catherdral 33-29

Beat # 15 New Pal 47-15

Beat # 11 Bellmont 39-34

Beat # 10 Bloomington  South 33-20 ( South lost by 5 to EMD)

Beat # 9 Penn 47-19 (look at the Penn - Mishawalca 36-21 match to see how much closer PM-Mish. could have been)

Beat # 8 Portage 39-17

Beat # 7 Castle 37-18 (Castle lost to EMD by 2, merriville lost to EMD by more)

Beat Delphi 48-25 (team state finalists)

Beat Warren Central 51-24 (Warren  has been ranked)

Lost to #1 Ranked Mishawaka 47-12

Pretty good run for the last 15 days - I would hope PM is battle tested.

Great job last night coach T and the boys in blue. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. Cathedral and Perry put it all on the line and it made for a great dual that kept everyone in the house at the edge of their seats. This rivalry is gonna be fun to watch for years to come. 2 great progams that have plenty to be proud of but still lots of work ahead. Good luck the rest of the season see you at CG.

GO FALCONS!!!

Cathedral looked great last night came up a little short, Buchannan was recovering from the flu.

I don't think the match would have been close if Brandon Wright, Blake Roytek, and Charlie McGinley were still on the team.

I think if Perry and Cathedral wrestled four times this year it would come down to one match every time.

I don't think the match would have been close if Brandon Wright, Blake Roytek, and Charlie McGinley were still on the team.

If "if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas!!"

Yet another typical Cathedral booster comment!

Learn from losses and build from it , fellas! No excuses in wrestling!

Just for fun, strickly fun.  Lets do a Cathedral vs Perry on paper, all time meet.  You can not use Lance at more than  one weight class!!!!

Cathedral's Line-up

103 - Jason Terry (2x)

112 - Billy Terry (Runner-up)

119 - Lance Ellis (4x)

125 - Brandon Wright (1x, 2x Runner-up)

130 - Cameron Sakon (1x)

135 - Sean McGinley (Runner-up)

140 - Eric Sakon (1x)

145 - Gavin McGinley (Runner-up)

152 - Joe McGinley (1x) - Can't remember what weight he won it at

160 - Tyler Willis (Future 2X, maybe 3X)

171 - Dan Pleak (1x)

189 - Mark Clevenger (1x)

215 - Matt Hasbrook (1x)

Heavy - Andy Cope (1x)

So many great options and depth at these weights though. I would argue that there are better options for the All-Cathedral team than this list.  I omitted about 12 McGinley's that were Runners-up or multiple time place winners - John Grey, Tony McGinley, Timmy McGinley, Tom McGinley, Brian McGinley, etc. I put in Billy Terry because he was the meanest, toughest SOB that ever walked on the mat in the B-Basement. He never won it, but should have at least twice like his little brother. There were also greats like Gilbert Durham,  Todd Mackall, Mean Gene Boyd (also a State Champ), Mike Venezia's uncle Frank (State Champ), John Maio, Lee Dora, Robert Beatty, Kevin Keeny, Todd and Eric Guhl, Reggie Porter, Matt Moll, Brian Funk, Frank Troiano, and the list goes on. God, you got me thinking now. Hmm. I'll go with this list and I will assure you we would smoke Perry just based on our historical depth. Matt Schoettle could give us the best measure of this via Thornton since he was in the room with half of these guys for a year or two.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.