"J.V. State"

I've been looking around for some J.V. meets and thought that I would give the J.V. kids some love on the site.  So just wanting to see if we can get a little discussion going about what the best J.V. meet in the state is, or maybe even best J.V. Wrestler.

From what I have seen best meet-

New Haven J.V. invite, Lots of good kids, solid schools, Roncolli and Belmont J.V. looked really good.

Tough Kid- Carroll  (FW) has a really good 171, Bellmont had a really tough 215.

I also remember that Rensalier (sp) had a great tourny later in the year.

What do you guys think?

Tomorrow night is the Freshman City Championship in Evansville.  I believe it is at Memorial this year.   This is usually more of an Area tournament with teams from outside the city bringing their Freshman.  Jasper, Mt. Vernon, Castle, Southridge, etc.   along with all the City schools.  Usually some very good matches and gives us fans a  snapshot of things to come.   Reitz will have a couple of familiar names in the lower weights with Kuhn at 103 and Johns at 112.

We have a great JV tourney up here at Rensselaer Central.  The date is January 23rd, and it is our 9th and 10th grade tourney.  This tournament is very well know and is discussed by many as the STATE for 9th and 10th grade wrestlers.  We have individuals from Crown Point, Delphi, Mishawaka, Hobart, Lowell, Valpo, Michigan City, Merrillville, Jay County and many more.  I know there are over 20 schools that participate.  We would always welcome any team that would like to participate.  We normally have a little over 200 wrestlers and they are paired that day by individual weights and grade.  This tournament usually starts at 9:00am and is usually over by 3:00pm.  The winner of each weight class gets the pairings chart plus a medal.   

This is a great way to get your JV and younger wrestlers mat time!!!

We have a great JV tourney up here at Rensselaer Central.  The date is January 23rd, and it is our 9th and 10th grade tourney.  This tournament is very well know and is discussed by many as the STATE for 9th and 10th grade wrestlers.  We have individuals from Crown Point, Delphi, Mishawaka, Hobart, Lowell, Valpo, Michigan City, Merrillville, Jay County and many more.  I know there are over 20 schools that participate.  We would always welcome any team that would like to participate.  We normally have a little over 200 wrestlers and they are paired that day by individual weights and grade.  This tournament usually starts at 9:00am and is usually over by 3:00pm.  The winner of each weight class gets the pairings chart plus a medal.   

This is a great way to get your JV and younger wrestlers mat time!!!

This is the best frosh/soph, and I consider the best "JV" meet, in the state. If you can, send your kids there, they run it well and lots of good competition.

Do they have any meets for Seniors who cant crack their teams varsity line-ups? Those guys show up everyday knowing they probably wont get a shot to wrestle too many varsity match-ups and arent allowed to wrestle JV so it would be cool to see a meet that allows non varsity seniors to wrestle

I would love to see a JV tournament that splits the 4 grades then has the champ of each bracket wrestle, so a kid could be a grade champion, overall champ, or both. Should be a boost in confidence for everyone.

SB Riley hosts a JV tourney this weekend that includes Mishawaka, Penn, Crown Point, Elk. Memorial, SB Clay, Jimtown,  and several others.  We use a 16 man bracket and battle it out until the final round- if a wrestler is at the 5 match limit, we call the last match a tie and award both wrestlers either 3rd or 5th place.  Tough day of wrestling- 6 mats again this year and I promise to be done at a reasonable time.

Just to add a little more to what Bomber has already told all of you, the Rensselaer Freshman-Sophomore meet is unique in that it is really 2 seperate tournaments with freshmen wrestling freshmen and sophomores wrestling sophomores. It is an individual tournament so you can enter as many as you would like from the same school in a weight class. We get teams from all over Indiana so we do our very best to pair up 1st round matches so that your wrestler wrestles someone he normally would not see during the regular season. We give out nice medals to the top 3 in each weight class per division. Since it is individual only, we welcome teams that may only have a handful of kids from a school that can wrestle. We also like the teams that can bring 20-30 kids as well. Rensselaer is on Chicago time which helps many of the southern schools for making weigh-in. If you are interested contact Rensselaer Athletic Director Ken Hickman at 219-866-5175 ext. 220. It is a blind draw after weigh-in but you need to pre-register with Mr. Hickman before you come. Hope to see several of you there!

Just to add a little more to what Bomber has already told all of you, the Rensselaer Freshman-Sophomore meet is unique in that it is really 2 seperate tournaments with freshmen wrestling freshmen and sophomores wrestling sophomores. It is an individual tournament so you can enter as many as you would like from the same school in a weight class. We get teams from all over Indiana so we do our very best to pair up 1st round matches so that your wrestler wrestles someone he normally would not see during the regular season. We give out nice medals to the top 3 in each weight class per division. Since it is individual only, we welcome teams that may only have a handful of kids from a school that can wrestle. We also like the teams that can bring 20-30 kids as well. Rensselaer is on Chicago time which helps many of the southern schools for making weigh-in. If you are interested contact Rensselaer Athletic Director Ken Hickman at 219-866-5175 ext. 220. It is a blind draw after weigh-in but you need to pre-register with Mr. Hickman before you come. Hope to see several of you there!

Great Add!  NWHC 145 Champ.  Plenty of openings  and we would be very greatful to have individuals represented from all over the state.

I think this is one of the best tournaments to get mat time for the younger wrestlers.  The development of these young wrestlers and their efforts throughout the season gives them something to look forward to in this tournament.  NWHC Champ 145 has said it well.  This is open to one and all Frosh & Soph.  Come and enjoy a great day for this wrestlers.

SB Riley hosts a JV tourney this weekend that includes Mishawaka, Penn, Crown Point, Elk. Memorial, SB Clay, Jimtown,  and several others.  We use a 16 man bracket and battle it out until the final round- if a wrestler is at the 5 match limit, we call the last match a tie and award both wrestlers either 3rd or 5th place.  Tough day of wrestling- 6 mats again this year and I promise to be done at a reasonable time.

Yeah.

My son was it that tourney.  He actually got to the 5 match limit before the "Place" match.  We knew going into that match that if he won, he tied for third, if he lost, he tied for 5th.  He lost.  :(    His first two losses of the year.  Had to cut to much weight to quickly.  Glad Christmas season is over.

In response to Isanoflex, we are a single elimination tournament until the semis, then we wrestle 1st thru 4th. the problem with complete wrestlebacks with a tournament like this is we are on Chicago time and our tournament usually gets over around 3-4 o'clock cst. We get teams on fast time from the Indy area all the way to Mishawaka, and last year even Jennings County made the trip to Rensselaer for the meet. We try to get the kids out of here at a decent hour with the travel by several of the teams. We go 4 mats all day with very minimum breaks. Since we can't go complete wrestlebacks, we do our very best to bring in competition from all over Indiana and hopefully the kids get to wrestle some kids they would not normally see. We also charge per wrestler and not team which is nice for the smaller squads coming. Remember, it is a freshmen wrestling tournament and a sophomore wrestling tournament. I believe that is unique in itself. We are always looking for more teams! Last year there were like 25 different schools represented.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.