C.P. @ Merrillville

Joker

Well, let's just say with the well timed "movin-ins" (Halsted, Roach, Tsirtsis),  CP gained a nice team.  No greatness on Vlink's part. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.  Without those studs, CP doesnt even get past Merrillville at Team Regionals last year.  A great coach like Maldonado builds em from the ground up.

Why do you think these kids and there parents want to come to CP? Especially if they have a "great coach like Maldonado" in the next town over? Maybe they know better than you.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, let's just say with the well timed "movin-ins" (Halsted, Roach, Tsirtsis),  CP gained a nice team.  No greatness on Vlink's part. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.  Without those studs, CP doesnt even get past Merrillville at Team Regionals last year.  A great coach like Maldonado builds em from the ground up.

Please tell me that was a joke..........please!!!!!

I dont have enough fingers and toes to count the move ins from the villes teams in the past 5-7 years

CBarnett, that's a good idea having 2 officials in such a high profile dual.Maybe the officials should have alternated matches so that the teams could get used to it.The officials do alternate at the team regional anyway right? Sounds like a very good dual.

Close match summary:

CP takes an overtime victory, two 2-point victories, and a 3-point victory (4 total).

Merrillville takes only a 2-point victory and a 3-point victory (2 total).

It seems like a rematch has more swing points available to Merrillville than to CP.  Should be exciting when/if it happens.

Wow, what a great job by the Bulldogs.  Picken up bonus points where possible and preventing them like at 103, 112, & 125 as well.  Lets don't forget what has happened the last,  I think two of three times cp won in duals and lost at regionals against a tough Maldenaldo coached team.    Maybe coach Vlink can learn how to keep his composure (team point taken for lack of mouth control) like his kids and assistant coaches did however.  I mean "dude pick your battles".  He's lucky it did'nt come down to a one point decision cuz I think his loyal followers in the bleachers and teamates would have eaten him alive in front of the cameras and all to see.   

As far as transplants..to CP "Groundhog",  are you serious.  You take two kids, Roach and Jason T., in what like 15 years that actually moved to CP for arguably the academic program.  I mean these two studs really don't need Vlinks coaching expertise to grab a D1 scholorship,  and you want to talk about "recruiting".  I know for a "fact",  Halsted (out with injury all season),  Flamme, Shurg, Kral, Hawkins, Renn,  etc. etc. all started at CP in grade school.  You better have your facts right before you start throwin that " S_ _T" around.  Vlink  has annoyed me plenty over the years, but lets give credit where its due.

Where did Merrillville's 112 pounder come from?  Didn't he just move in from East Chicago?  I know he's a freshman and it's legal, but a move-in is a move-in.  It's funny for anyone from Merrillville to complain about "move-ins".

As far as the bonus points swinging the other way next time, the pins came from CP's studs - COULD happen every time.

Does Merrillville still think they can compete with Mishawaka?

Wow, what a great job by the Bulldogs.  Picken up bonus points where possible and preventing them like at 103, 112, & 125 as well.  Lets don't forget what has happened the last,  I think two of three times cp won in duals and lost at regionals against a tough Maldenaldo coached team.    Maybe coach Vlink can learn how to keep his composure (team point taken for lack of mouth control) like his kids and assistant coaches did however.  I mean "dude pick your battles".  He's lucky it did'nt come down to a one point decision cuz I think his loyal followers in the bleachers and teamates would have eaten him alive in front of the cameras and all to see.   

As far as transplants..to CP "Groundhog",  are you serious.  You take two kids, Roach and Jason T., in what like 15 years that actually moved to CP for arguably the academic program.  I mean these two studs really don't need Vlinks coaching expertise to grab a D1 scholorship,  and you want to talk about "recruiting".  I know for a "fact",  Halsted (out with injury all season),  Flamme, Shurg, Kral, Hawkins, Renn,  etc. etc. all started at CP in grade school.  You better have your facts right before you start throwin that " S_ _T" around.  Vlink  has annoyed me plenty over the years, but lets give credit where its due.

If your referring to bonus points as falls then I guess it's a little easier to prevent those when the ref lets you lay there and stall the whole match, like what happened at 103 and pretty much 125. As far as 112 goes Adam did win by fall.

As far as transplants..to CP "Groundhog",  are you serious.  You take two kids, Roach and Jason T., in what like 15 years that actually moved to CP for arguably the academic program.  

LOL,  yeah sure pinner,  they were fine with their academic school systems for 9 years (K-8) but then in 9th grade (time for HS wrasslin) they became bad.  Pack up da family were movin !

Garcia is tough but he is no Tsirtsis or Roach. Coming to Merrillville is a better spot than EC I dont know Garcia situation But I do know Griffith and Highland are not bad areas and they have a pretty good school system too. Merrillville has had some move ins but not alot. But they real thing here is CP won ever swing match 189 215 135 and did they did there job at 103 125 Crown Point really did a great job. I was surprised.     

As far as the "move ins" as long as they are done legally (the parents actually move) I don't have a problem with that. And this is not the reason merrillville lost. cp just simply wrestled better this day.

189 & 215 both could have gone either way. Overall it was a close dual if they wrestle it ten times they may go 5-5.

Padilla at 119 also wrestled Hawkins well I think the final score was 5-3.  

As far as the "move ins" as long as they are done legally (the parents actually move) I don't have a problem with that. And this is not the reason merrillville lost. cp just simply wrestled better this day.

189 & 215 both could have gone either way. Overall it was a close dual if they wrestle it ten times they may go 5-5.

Padilla at 119 also wrestled Hawkins well I think the final score was 5-3.  

I agree wit da joker/ hey we are in america !!  Nobody would care if da kid was on da debate team.

Also I will say ole Maldonado is one coach that can turn grape juice into wine. He does it year after year. Believe me by da time state tourney comes it could be a different outcome.

As far as the bonus points swinging the other way next time, the pins came from CP's studs - COULD happen every time.

Agreed.  When I said "swing" points I wasn't referring to bonus points "swinging the other way."  I was referring to points earned by CP in close matches.  CP earned more close match points than Merrillville did, so it seems as if a future match could definitely go Merrillville's way.  There were 6 relatively close matches.  If 3 of those go to each team, the meet is a toss-up.  If one team wins 4, the match will be won by that team (as it was by CP).

Seems to me as a southerner, the best team won.  CP was not ranked as high and predictions on here were not going their way.  I am still waiting to here about the big upset that swung the match?  Rankings and predictions were wrong and Crown Point deserves the credit here.

P.S.  It is frustrating being a fan of wrestling in the state of Indiana and hear about all of the moving by family's of accomplished wrestlers.  In the south, we go with what we have.  Sure would have been nice if MD, Reitz, or Memorial could have loaned out two wrestlers to Castle's team last year or this year. 

I agree wit da joker/ hey we are in america !!  Nobody would care if da kid was on da debate team.

Also I will say ole Maldonado is one coach that can turn grape juice into wine. He does it year after year. Believe me by da time state tourney comes it could be a different outcome.

The Malonado love fest is getting old.  I agree that he is a great coach, and I realize he is region royalty, but come on.  There are a lot of other great coaches in the region that deserve credit too.  I'm not even gonna name names because I don't want to get into a foodfight on here.  All I ask is that some of you posters stop acting like Maldonado is the second coming.  One thing I will say is his senior laden team got pummeled by a young CP team that was supposed to be rebuilding.  I realize it could be different next time, but it just seems odd that Maldonado would be getting so much credit when his team got handled last night.  Please don't take this as an attack on Maldonado (which I know some of you Merrillville people will).  Like I said, he is a great coach and I will root for the Pirates at state if they make it there, just like I would any other region team. 

The Malonado love fest is getting old.  I agree that he is a great coach, and I realize he is region royalty, but come on.  There are a lot of other great coaches in the region that deserve credit too.  I'm not even gonna name names because I don't want to get into a foodfight on here.  All I ask is that some of you posters stop acting like Maldonado is the second coming.  One thing I will say is his senior laden team got pummeled by a young CP team that was supposed to be rebuilding.  I realize it could be different next time, but it just seems odd that Maldonado would be getting so much credit when his team got handled last night.  Please don't take this as an attack on Maldonado (which I know some of you Merrillville people will).  Like I said, he is a great coach and I will root for the Pirates at state if they make it there, just like I would any other region team. 

Like I said before I'm not a Merrillville fan or CP fan But Dave is a really good Coach. Just like I feel that Bill Hawkins Deserves a ton of Credit and get none on this board alot of the really good CP kids came through that Kids Program and for rebuilding CP did loses Shrewsbury Myers Halsted Manes Balilk but they didn't Lose Hawk(CHAMP) Tsirtsis(CHAMP)Roach(2nd, 4th) Shurg(SQ) Flamme(2xSSQ) Renn(SSQ) and added Dustin Schurg Tyler Kral Colton Saroff If that is rebuilding then Watch out .

Please tell me that was a joke..........please!!!!!

I dont have enough fingers and toes to count the move ins from the villes teams in the past 5-7 years

Who? Napules 6th grade and up, Jamal Lawrence  6th grade and up. Garcia and Oria after that who? if you only have 2 fingers sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk but most of the kids have been there for awhile.Tsirtsis and Roach are going to be at CP until they finish high school. They did nothing wrong it is what it is. Roach wasn't a runner up then moved and Jason didn't win a title and Transfer. You don't see Cathedral dogging Brandon Wright for going to Warren. We are losing sight that there was a great dual last night on Broadway we were in the Gym and not a field house I loved it.  Good luck to both teams I hope that which ever team makes it to Center Grove they go out and beat Perry or Mishawaka and keep that team trophy Where it belongs in the Region.

You left out the Salas brothers (River Forest).

right on I did forget about them.

Geeze, we must be slacking at Garrett as all of our starters went to our middle school and most have lived in Garrett their whole life.  No wonder we can't win even one lousy sectional.

Garrett needs to get on it

Who? Napules 6th grade and up, Jamal Lawrence  6th grade and up. Garcia and Oria after that who? if you only have 2 fingers sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk but most of the kids have been there for awhile.Tsirtsis and Roach are going to be at CP until they finish high school. They did nothing wrong it is what it is. Roach wasn't a runner up then moved and Jason didn't win a title and Transfer. You don't see Cathedral dogging Brandon Wright for going to Warren. We are losing sight that there was a great dual last night on Broadway we were in the Gym and not a field house I loved it.  Good luck to both teams I hope that which ever team makes it to Center Grove they go out and beat Perry or Mishawaka and keep that team trophy Where it belongs in the Region.

As I said earlier - the 112 pounder just moved to Merrillville from East Chicago - there's 1 just this year.  Where did Stevens come from?  Did he attend middle school in Merrillville?

Geeze, we must be slacking at Garrett as all of our starters went to our middle school and most have lived in Garrett their whole life.  No wonder we can't win even one lousy sectional.

Well, the South and Northwest have their "recruiting" schools.  Maybe the North/Northeast needs a "recruiting "school!    ::)

If your referring to bonus points as falls then I guess it's a little easier to prevent those when the ref lets you lay there and stall the whole match, like what happened at 103 and pretty much 125. As far as 112 goes Adam did win by fall.

Seriously? Merrillville is infamous for laying down on there stomache to avoid getting pinned.  The first match Kral was dominating Berry the whole match but once the third period came along Maladoradadaodlole watever his name is curled in a little ball and watched as his wrestle didnt even try to buil a base to try to get up.  After that first match I thought it was going to be a long meet of stalling on the ville's side but it was a good thing CP daminated with there studs and won the swing matches.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.