C.P. @ Merrillville

Joker

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously? Merrillville is infamous for laying down on there stomache to avoid getting pinned.  The first match Kral was dominating Berry the whole match but once the third period came along Maladoradadaodlole watever his name is curled in a little ball and watched as his wrestle didnt even try to buil a base to try to get up.  After that first match I thought it was going to be a long meet of stalling on the ville's side but it was a good thing CP daminated with there studs and won the swing matches.

Are you denying the two matches I mentioned were not CP stalling? The CP 103 did nothing the whole match but try to hold on to Stevens leg and the 125 didn't do much more after his one takedown. I do give CP credit, they took match one.

As I said earlier - the 112 pounder just moved to Merrillville from East Chicago - there's 1 just this year.  Where did Stevens come from?  Did he attend middle school in Merrillville?

Stevens has been in Merrillville since grade school.

Who? Napules 6th grade and up, Jamal Lawrence  6th grade and up. Garcia and Oria after that who? if you only have 2 fingers sorry I'm not trying to be a jerk but most of the kids have been there for awhile.Tsirtsis and Roach are going to be at CP until they finish high school. They did nothing wrong it is what it is. Roach wasn't a runner up then moved and Jason didn't win a title and Transfer. You don't see Cathedral dogging Brandon Wright for going to Warren. We are losing sight that there was a great dual last night on Broadway we were in the Gym and not a field house I loved it.  Good luck to both teams I hope that which ever team makes it to Center Grove they go out and beat Perry or Mishawaka and keep that team trophy Where it belongs in the Region.

i FORgot about all da otter ones/ who cares - go where you can get better.

For a long while I thought dis board was gettin kinda boring. I good ole discussion is what we needed !!

How aboout dis one ? If we merged merryville and da dogs could day beat Mishawaka ? Hum ?

Ontherise:

Thanks for giving some credit to Bill Hawkins. As far as i am concerned the CP team that won state last year was his team more than anyone else's. He brought those kids up and coached them to be the elite studs they are today.

Are you denying the two matches I mentioned were not CP stalling? The CP 103 did nothing the whole match but try to hold on to Stevens leg and the 125 didn't do much more after his one takedown. I do give CP credit, they took match one.

At 103 he was getting dominated but was still taking shots till the end.

How were the matches at 135 and 140? I was surpsised to see both Merr. wrestlers get pinned. Did Shrug and Flamme step it up or was the match close before the PIN? 

At 135, it was 8-2 in period 3 before Schurg pinned; and at 140 it was close until Flamme outwrestled and outhustled his guy. Good job CP! Looking forward to a rematch at Team Regionals. I think it will be more eventful than last year's face- off. [glow=red,2,300]Hopefully not in the first round of Team Regionals like last year.[/glow]

Where did Stevens come from?  Did he attend middle school in Merrillville?

The Stevens' have been in M-ville for at least two generations...maybe three.  They are a very good family, much like the Halsteds', Renns', Napulus' and many other's from both schools that grew up in their respective towns.

Don't lose sight of the fact that both programs are top notch, respectable, honest and fair programs.

and not to defend or correct English went to merrillville his entire life except his freshman year he went to mt carmel his brother went 3 years at merrillville then tried  to go to portage as a senior. I dont know what happen to wesley as a senior

I believe he was gonna attend CP but was ruled ineligible by the IHSAA?  Can someone correct me if I am wrong.

Groundhog:     It seems you were wrong on most of your posts to this thread, so why don't you crawl back

into your hole and come back out on Groundhog's day.

Yeah what he said but when you come back out make sure you stay out and not run from your shadow........Xcard would like an early spring!

The Malonado love fest is getting old.  I agree that he is a great coach, and I realize he is region royalty, but come on.  There are a lot of other great coaches in the region that deserve credit too.  I'm not even gonna name names because I don't want to get into a foodfight on here.  All I ask is that some of you posters stop acting like Maldonado is the second coming.  One thing I will say is his senior laden team got pummeled by a young CP team that was supposed to be rebuilding.  I realize it could be different next time, but it just seems odd that Maldonado would be getting so much credit when his team got handled last night.  Please don't take this as an attack on Maldonado (which I know some of you Merrillville people will).  Like I said, he is a great coach and I will root for the Pirates at state if they make it there, just like I would any other region team. 

FOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDFFFFFFFFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHt!

P.S. I hope that lower case t at the end kept me from breaking a forum rule!

If my memory serves me right I think Vlink has won a team championship, I don't believe Maldonado

has.  Don't get me wrong, he is a great coach, but so is Vlink and he has last yer's team trophey to prove it.

If my memory serves me right, Coach Vlink has been coaching for about 20+ years, I don't believe Maldonado has. Don't get me wrong, he is a great coach, but so is Dave so, let's give him a few years to get that Championship as well.

If my memory serves me right I think Vlink has won a team championship, I don't believe Maldonado

has.  Don't get me wrong, he is a great coach, but so is Vlink and he has last yer's team trophey to prove it.

XCard:  If my memory serves me right, Coach Vlink has been coaching for about 20+ years, I don't believe Maldonado has. Don't get me wrong, he is a great coach, but so is Dave so, let's give him a few years to get that Championship as well.

Vlink has been coaching for 30+ years and didn't get his first individual champ until last year. Does that mean he's not a good coach? Of course not so let's afford Maldonado the same fairness who, by the way, has 3 or 4 individual champs in less than 10 years at m'ville. Going by DuneFan's logic, Vlink would not be a "great" coach without last year's trophy which wouldn't have happened if it not for Roach and Tsirtsis moving into the district. Bottom line, I don't think you can gauge the "greatness" of a coach on just state championships (individual or team).

Ontherise:

Thanks for giving some credit to Bill Hawkins. As far as i am concerned the CP team that won state last year was his team more than anyone else's. He brought those kids up and coached them to be the elite studs they are today.

I agree! What Hawkins has done with CP is awesome. He deserves alot of credit for not only what he's done at CP, but the region. He has help a lot kids take it to the next level with his part at Vega and CIA.  To bad he is not a High School Coach He is definatly one of the top coaches in the state!!! 

The Malonado love fest is getting old.  I agree that he is a great coach, and I realize he is region royalty, but come on.  There are a lot of other great coaches in the region that deserve credit too.  I'm not even gonna name names because I don't want to get into a foodfight on here.  All I ask is that some of you posters stop acting like Maldonado is the second coming.  One thing I will say is his senior laden team got pummeled by a young CP team that was supposed to be rebuilding.  I realize it could be different next time, but it just seems odd that Maldonado would be getting so much credit when his team got handled last night.  Please don't take this as an attack on Maldonado (which I know some of you Merrillville people will).  Like I said, he is a great coach and I will root for the Pirates at state if they make it there, just like I would any other region team. 

I couldnt agree more, I will say his kids wrestle tough, and i guess they are in good shape, but as far as there technique goes.....ehhh.

Also, i think the ville is a better team this year, CP's victory will be a curse, If I were a betting man I'd put my money on the pirates in the rematch. People will say "look CP choked, Moldonado is a magician blah blah blah"  Just like they "choked" in 2008, when they lost a close dual to the 3rd best team in the state.....give me a break.

EVERYTHING went to bulldogs way last week, I just don't see that happening again.

I?m a frequent visitor to this website but I don?t post much.  As a former coach, wrestler, and parent of a wrestler I just can?t believe you would say negative things about any coach let only Coach Maldonado or his supporters.  Nobody makes themselves a hero or a role model society dose; so to say that you are tired of people thinking he is the 2nd coming is just crazy.  He?s just a coach that is passionate about the sport and his kids.  It sounds to me like your jealous.  If memory serves me right I can remember people talking about Coach Pendowski being the greatest ever, or that Russian guy that spoke broken English from Griffith, or Coach Chandler who is now in IL, or even Coach Vega, but in the end they all moved on.  High School Coaching is tough for coaches because they spend so much time and effort in helping their kids succeed on and off the matt with little or no credit or pay.  I don?t think we praise our coaches enough.  I just took a look in Ancient Elders book and it says that there have been 9 State Champs, 19 Finalist, and 60 place winners at Merrillville High School, and Coach Maldonado has coached 4 of the State Champs, 8 of the Finalists, 25 of the place winners in 7 years at Merrillville High School compared to all previous coaches combined at Merrillville.  Now, I don?t know how long Merrillville High School has had a wrestling program but their first placer was 1968 which would make it 40 plus years, and as far as the team the IHSAA website said they had something like 10 Regionals and 6 Semi-States with Coach Maldonado they have won 5 of those Regionals and 3 of those Semi-States.

Your right Merlyn we should praise all of our coaches, if we don?t continue to let our coaches know that their doing a great job and we appreciate what they do for the sport of wrestling we may lose them.  But don't tire one coach down to make another seem better or worse.  I?ve seen it time and time again, coaches get burned out and move on to bigger and better things; where they don?t have to worry about getting ridiculed and torn down by people who can?t measure up so they feel like they have to tire them down to make themselves feel better.  I have talked to many coaches over the years and many of them feel the same way.  They?re all frustrated at the whole situation wrestlers, parents, fans, administration, etc?  If we are not careful on how we treat our coaches we are going to lose them, so the next time you see a coach make sure you let them know how much you appreciate what they do for the sport.

And as far as Coach Maldonado, I?ve only had a few conversations with him but I have realized that he is wise beyond his age and I hope he continues to coach our kids in Da Region.  Yes, I?m a fan of Coach Maldonado, but I?m also a fan of the Real Coaches of Indiana Wrestling.  The ones that put their lives, families, and careers on hold to help raise, educate, coach, guide, mold other people?s children.  Guys like Coach Watkins, Coach Joll, Coach Vlink, Coach Williams, Coach Foroute, Coach Snyder, Coach Al Smith, Coach Tonte, Coach Goebel, Coach Red, Coach Balish, etc?  Please for give me if I didn?t name your favorite coach or missed spelled anyone?s name, because there are many more coaches with us and also those who have gone to a better place.  The second coming, I don't think so!  If he is then we are all in trouble.  Food for thought:  Coach Vlink has been coaching longer then Coach Maldonado has been a live, give the young coach time but don't knock him because other people praise him.

I?m a frequent visitor to this website but I don?t post much.  As a former coach, wrestler, and parent of a wrestler I just can?t believe you would say negative things about any coach let only Coach Maldonado or his supporters.  Nobody makes themselves a hero or a role model society dose; so to say that you are tired of people thinking he is the 2nd coming is just crazy.  He?s just a coach that is passionate about the sport and his kids.  It sounds to me like your jealous.  If memory serves me right I can remember people talking about Coach Pendowski being the greatest ever, or that Russian guy that spoke broken English from Griffith, or Coach Chandler who is now in IL, or even Coach Vega, but in the end they all moved on.  High School Coaching is tough for coaches because they spend so much time and effort in helping their kids succeed on and off the matt with little or no credit or pay.  I don?t think we praise our coaches enough.  I just took a look in Ancient Elders book and it says that there have been 9 State Champs, 19 Finalist, and 60 place winners at Merrillville High School, and Coach Maldonado has coached 4 of the State Champs, 8 of the Finalists, 25 of the place winners in 7 years at Merrillville High School compared to all previous coaches combined at Merrillville.  Now, I don?t know how long Merrillville High School has had a wrestling program but their first placer was 1968 which would make it 40 plus years, and as far as the team the IHSAA website said they had something like 10 Regionals and 6 Semi-States with Coach Maldonado they have won 5 of those Regionals and 3 of those Semi-States.

Your right Merlyn we should praise all of our coaches, if we don?t continue to let our coaches know that their doing a great job and we appreciate what they do for the sport of wrestling we may lose them.  But don't tire one coach down to make another seem better or worse.  I?ve seen it time and time again, coaches get burned out and move on to bigger and better things; where they don?t have to worry about getting ridiculed and torn down by people who can?t measure up so they feel like they have to tire them down to make themselves feel better.  I have talked to many coaches over the years and many of them feel the same way.  They?re all frustrated at the whole situation wrestlers, parents, fans, administration, etc?  If we are not careful on how we treat our coaches we are going to lose them, so the next time you see a coach make sure you let them know how much you appreciate what they do for the sport.

And as far as Coach Maldonado, I?ve only had a few conversations with him but I have realized that he is wise beyond his age and I hope he continues to coach our kids in Da Region.  Yes, I?m a fan of Coach Maldonado, but I?m also a fan of the Real Coaches of Indiana Wrestling.  The ones that put their lives, families, and careers on hold to help raise, educate, coach, guide, mold other people?s children.  Guys like Coach Watkins, Coach Joll, Coach Vlink, Coach Williams, Coach Foroute, Coach Snyder, Coach Al Smith, Coach Tonte, Coach Goebel, Coach Red, Coach Balish, etc?  Please for give me if I didn?t name your favorite coach or missed spelled anyone?s name, because there are many more coaches with us and also those who have gone to a better place.  The second coming, I don't think so!  If he is then we are all in trouble.  Food for thought:  Coach Vlink has been coaching longer then Coach Maldonado has been a live, give the young coach time but don't knock him because other people praise him.

Where did I say anything negative about coach Maldonado?  I did not, and would not.  The "second coming" remark was made because one of the earlier posters almost literally compared him to Jesus (something about turning grape juice into wine --which I think is how you do it anyway, but I doubt that's what he meant -- go look for yourself; at least that's how I took it).  I thought that was a little overboard.  That post was the one I was directly responding to.  I am not jealous at all--I actually think Merrillville's program is outstanding.  I think you might be looking too far into what I said.  Just take it at face value.  I am sorry if you misunderstood what I said.  I was really just pointing out that there are other great coaches in the region who deserve credit too, and I just thought the "grape juice into wine" comment was inappropriate.  It is certainly possible I just misinterpreted that comment, in which case I apologize. Perhaps I should have taken a different approach and credited other region coaches, but I did not want to get into a "my coach is better than your coach" debate.  Trust me, I didn't mean to demean anyone.    I will just end this by saying good luck to all the region teams.  I have a lot of respect for all the wrestlers and coaches out there.  In fact, it is probably impossible to give any of them too much credit.  Again, I apologize if my approach was wrong and I just want you to know I meant no disrespect.  Many of your points are well taken.  I will be more careful with my posts from now on.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.