Lake County Tourny ***Brackets Posted***

ontherise219

Anyone knows why Lowell chose to get out? This is a very strong and exciting tournament and I would hate to see the tourney come to an end due to all the top competition getting out.  I remember at one point all that was missing from the county tournament was CP.

Every prep wrestling team in Lake County has been invited to compete in this tournament. It is a tremendous meet, that unifies one of the nation's most diverse counties in friendly competition. Some have merely chosen to go elsewhere. This weekend was selected over 10 years ago, when we put the meet together, to avoid conflicting with any area school's money maker tourney or memorial meets. We also stayed away from the big holiday invites. This weekend was cleared out by schools from several conferences to accomodate a tourney that could endure long into the future. It makes money for the hosts and is a tremendous tourney in and of itself. It also helps clarify an awful lot of seeding questions for upcoming conference and sectional tourneys.  The absence of these three programs, while disappointing to many of us Calumet Region wrestling fans, does not diminish what the other 20+ teams have managed to include in their schedules. The 14 individual Champions as well as the Team Champion will not need to apologize to anyone for showing up and winning. It is the Lake County Wrestling Championship and it is not in jeopardy of being cancelled.

Merrillville goes to Oak hill duals in st louis where they could see mater dei and warren central. Where does CP and Lowell go? 

CP's website says Portage duals, which if that is right it makes sense that they don't go to the tournament because their dual with Portage counts as the official DAC meet, and they are required to wrestle Portage in an official DAC meet.  Plus, they could not choose to wrestle Portage in a weeknight dual and go to the Lake County tournament because that would put them over the weigh in limit. 

Crown Point has other opportunities to wrestle their Duneland conference dual against Portage, they strictly choose not to go to the Lake County meet because coach Vlink proposed this tournament several times over the past 30 years and it was shot down. Coach Vlink choosing not to go is mostly sour grapes on his part. That's not a slam on Coach Vlink or CP wrestling, just a fact, and one that he will openly admit to if you ask him.

my picks without a seating meeting

103 Petrov Hanover

112 Ayersman Lake Central

119 Escobedo Lake central

125 Petrov Hanover

130 Clark Calumet( awesome 2 days at Al Smith)

135 Wartman Lake Central

140 Porras Hobart

145 Rodriguez EC

152 Surma Munster

160 Hill West Side

171 Musgrave Munster

189 Fowler Calumet

215 Vlade Lake Central

HWT ???

team champs Lake Central Indians 

Crown Point has other opportunities to wrestle their Duneland conference dual against Portage, they strictly choose not to go to the Lake County meet because coach Vlink proposed this tournament several times over the past 30 years and it was shot down. Coach Vlink choosing not to go is mostly sour grapes on his part. That's not a slam on Coach Vlink or CP wrestling, just a fact, and one that he will openly admit to if you ask him.

I heard the same thing!

I think that all lake county teams should be there, since its a lake county tourny. Especially if this tourny has been on the schedule for ten years. But besides that its a still a good tourny. Good luck to all wrestlers.

I sure do miss some of the past big names at this tournament, Howe, McGill, Galka, Cosgrove, Tsirtsis, Angel, Hernadez, just to name a few.

I also want to give Victor Rodriguez kudos for moving down to 140 to face Frankie Porras to see where he stands, Look like he would of been the favorite at 145, Nice.

I sure do miss some of the past big names at this tournament, Howe, McGill, Galka, Cosgrove, Tsirtsis, Angel, Hernadez, just to name a few.

I also want to give Victor Rodriguez kudos for moving down to 140 to face Frankie Porras to see where he stands, Look like he would of been the favorite at 145, Nice.

or maybe he was just thinking Surma would be at 145 and wanted to avoid getting pinned by him, as he did at the sectional last year. Either way it's tough ... Surma or Porras, take your pick.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.