Marion County Tourney!!!

wildcatcountry97

OH MY.

I have been out of town for a bit, and just now posting, I realize, is a bit late. However this tournament was so bad, I must weigh in.

I traveled nearly 3 1/2 hours to watch this tournament, on my way out of town. I arrived on Friday night to find the tournament started OVER an hour late!!! I was so annoyed, I decided not to waste my time and just catch the finals the next day before I had to head up to Chicago to catch my plane.

I arrived at the time I was told the finals would start.

To my great surprise they had started nearly 1 hour early!!!! So I basically missed the entire thing.

How do tournaments expect to get fans to come and watch, or promote the sport, when they are so disorganized that they start an hour late, and cannot keep a schedule so that fans can come watch the finals! Is there a way we can create an organization that runs all tournaments in the state?? This was pathetic. I vote this school not be allowed to run another tournament for quite some time while they sit in a corner and think about what they did.

So far this year twice a tournament or dual has started early, and once a dual started over a half hour late. On 1 of the early ones I missed my son wrestle. I am a big fan of High School wrestling, I try and make a tourney every weekend.  Its hard even as a fan to go sit and wait because they are unorganized or I get there right on time to find out things were running smoothly so they started early then scheduled.  I Know running a tourney can be difficult and unexpected situations can happen, but we are our own worst enemy when comes to promoting wrestling. I think as Coaches, Parents, even fans need to start offering their support and help. I've been to tourneys and seen the head Coach doing 10 different things. Us parents need to get more involved or Coaches need to ask or just demand that the parents help. Our sport has grown here in Indiana IMO its headed in the right direction, and I personally will try and do what I can to make sure we continue to head that way.

So far this year twice a tournament or dual has started early, and once a dual started over a half hour late. On 1 of the early ones I missed my son wrestle. I am a big fan of High School wrestling, I try and make a tourney every weekend.  Its hard even as a fan to go sit and wait because they are unorganized or I get there right on time to find out things were running smoothly so they started early then scheduled.  I Know running a tourney can be difficult and unexpected situations can happen, but we are our own worst enemy when comes to promoting wrestling. I think as Coaches, Parents, even fans need to start offering their support and help. I've been to tourneys and seen the head Coach doing 10 different things. Us parents need to get more involved or Coaches need to ask or just demand that the parents help. Our sport has grown here in Indiana IMO its headed in the right direction, and I personally will try and do what I can to make sure we continue to head that way.

A school like Decatur does not have a big wrestling FAMILY there, I express family because a good wrestling club or team dedicates as much time into the sport as they do with there family and sometimes more. I do believe that this was the problem. I am sure Tourneys are better ran at Mishawaka or Perry they have a big wrestling FAMILY ,it helps when you have 25-50 people you can count on to help in making a tourney run smooth. Maybe we should look at who hosts these Tourney's. To say it was horrible is a stretch, we was out of there at a pretty descent time the following day it is what it is. If you are a true wrestling fan this is not the first or last time this will happen , Just about every weekend during the ISWA season.

For those that did not stay or come back sunday you missed some great wrestling!!

I wouldn't blame the tournament running late on Decatur.  Decatur has hosted  Sectionals for many years and have done a great job running a smooth tournament.  When my son was wrestling in high school I was able to schedule being at the ISSMA music contest at Ben Davis for my music students and getting back to Decatur to watch my son wrestle.  If you are not very knowledgeable about Trackwrestling or you have a lot of changes to make after weigh-ins when using Trackwrestling, a tournament will be delayed.  No matter which school would have hosted this tournament, there was going to be a delay.  This is the first year that the Marion County Tournament used Trackwrestling so delays were inevitable.  I believe in track wrestling and think it is a program that should be utilized more in Indiana. 

I agree with all the posters about the problems. As a parent and a supporter of high school wrestling, it is almost unbearable to believe the organization skills of some of these coordinators. What is the deal? How many highschool football or basketball games do you see delayed? How many times do you see a team late for one of these two contest? Is it because more people care about FB and BB?  This is a statwide problem from what I've seen and been told. It irks me to take off work or race to an event; only to see it already started or be delayed. Some one needs to tell the AD's , administrators, or whoever is in charge that not all people have bells or buzzers at their workplace to tell them when it is time to move to different classrooms or when its time to change their teaching detail. Do they not no how to schedule times because of this? This has become the norm for HS wrestling and I for one believe there needs to start being a change. How do we expect outside fans to become interested in this sport or even grandparents and family come support our kids if we can't have designated start times that are honored from the posted schedules. Some don't even post schedules anymore. People sometimes get agitated and upset when sitting for hours with no wrestling action to watch. Watch out coaches and AD's!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha

I wouldn't blame the tournament running late on Decatur.  Decatur has hosted  Sectionals for many years and have done a great job running a smooth tournament.  When my son was wrestling in high school I was able to schedule being at the ISSMA music contest at Ben Davis for my music students and getting back to Decatur to watch my son wrestle.  If you are not very knowledgeable about Trackwrestling or you have a lot of changes to make after weigh-ins when using Trackwrestling, a tournament will be delayed.  No matter which school would have hosted this tournament, there was going to be a delay.  This is the first year that the Marion County Tournament used Trackwrestling so delays were inevitable.  I believe in track wrestling and think it is a program that should be utilized more in Indiana. 

You are 100% correct I forgot about Track Wrestling broadcasting this event that does have an effect, and the fact they weighed in around 4 or 5 and some kids did not make it or whatever so that led to re-bracketing. You do not have to weigh in, skin check or whatever before a basketball game or football. Sometimes you have to sit that extra hour, it has alway's been worth it to me!!

I was not trying to put down to Decatur. I was just trying to start a discussion on how we can make this better, or learn from this mistake. It seems some posts are mixing things together. This is not ISWA, and I'm aware of the fact that things happen that shake up the seeding and such. If they need help running it, they need to ask other schools to help. Not having a 'family' is an excuse. You want to run the tournament, then get the number of people you need to help.

However, this is a pretty big tournament, and starting an HOUR late is simply unacceptable.

As for the finals, getting "out of there at a pretty decetn time," was the problem. You have to set a time, and stick with it if you want fans to come watch. I doubt a county tournament for basketball starts an hour or so early, EVER.

It's hard to get a correct time in wrestling because of people not making weight, or medical clearance.  Then the coaches must decide if they wnat to bump their line up around, or just scratch the kid.  If that wrestler was seeded, then we bump people around in the brackets and so on.  If a few people who are bracketed don't wrestle it takes time to redraw, and print bracket for the tourney.  The MD classic always starts about 45 mins late on the first day for that very reason.  The next day is always much smoother.

It would be nice if we could say the problems at the Marion County Tournament were unavoidable and would have happened anywhere.  The majority of the problems were directly related to "those in power" at Decatur Central.  A 3.5 hour seeding meeting ran by someone not qualified to oversee a pinewood derby race, over an hour delay on the first night, incorrect bout cards, a hospitality room that was closed for the majority of the tournament, and "someone" in charge who was more concerned about spectators on the floor than how poorly he was running the tournament.  All of these things have a direct correlation to where the tournamnet was held and who was running the tournament. 

I was not trying to put down to Decatur. I was just trying to start a discussion on how we can make this better, or learn from this mistake. It seems some posts are mixing things together. This is not ISWA, and I'm aware of the fact that things happen that shake up the seeding and such. If they need help running it, they need to ask other schools to help. Not having a 'family' is an excuse. You want to run the tournament, then get the number of people you need to help.

However, this is a pretty big tournament, and starting an HOUR late is simply unacceptable.

As for the finals, getting "out of there at a pretty decetn time," was the problem. You have to set a time, and stick with it if you want fans to come watch. I doubt a county tournament for basketball starts an hour or so early, EVER.

I agree that "getting out of there at a pretty decent time" is a problem. How about clearing the floor so it doesn't look like a hillbilly picknick, and showcasing your athletes on 1 mat, and at a time where more people can attend the finals the weekend before Christmas?

I agree that "getting out of there at a pretty decent time" is a problem. How about clearing the floor so it doesn't look like a hillbilly picknick, and showcasing your athletes on 1 mat, and at a time where more people can attend the finals the weekend before Christmas?

Ther is never a set time for the finals in this tourney, the program specifically said wrestling on sat. starts @9am then so on by rounds 4,5 and 6 following the finals starting a half an hour after round 5. If you are true wrestling fans you just learn to deal with this kind of problem. I agree the finals should of been 1 mat going at that time. Thats not our call. quit the boo hoo'n.

I do consider myself a true wrestling fan and have been around this tournament over twenty years. That is why I think you set a time and stick to it like they have in the past. How can you promote the sport when nobody knows what time the finals are going to be? This is supposed to be one of the more prestigous tournaments in the state so why wouldn't you run it similar to the state finals or NCAA's? Neither one of those tournaments expect the fans to "deal with this kind of problem."

I do consider myself a true wrestling fan and have been around this tournament over twenty years. That is why I think you set a time and stick to it like they have in the past. How can you promote the sport when nobody knows what time the finals are going to be? This is supposed to be one of the more prestigous tournaments in the state so why wouldn't you run it similar to the state finals or NCAA's? Neither one of those tournaments expect the fans to "deal with this kind of problem."

My grandparents came to watch my son wrestle and they can barely walk on there own I guess if someone wants to come and show support to a wrestler they will do so!! They was only able to watch one match the semi finals but at least they came. It is what it is!! I can not remember if they have ever had a set time for the finals. Bring your concerns up next year there is some great wrestling to be talked about!

My grandparents came to watch my son wrestle and they can barely walk on there own I guess if someone wants to come and show support to a wrestler they will do so!! They was only able to watch one match the semi finals but at least they came. It is what it is!! I can not remember if they have ever had a set time for the finals. Bring your concerns up next year there is some great wrestling to be talked about!

I'm glad your grandparents were able to attend. I'm not sure why you seem so offended by my posts. I think people like your grandparents and others who enjoy wrestling but do not necessarily want to sit in a gym all day would benefit from knowing what time rounds begin. Maybe my old age is kicking in, but I seem to remember bigger crowds for the finals that used to start at 6 than for the quarter's at 9 a.m. on Saturday or for the prelims that used to be on a Thursday night for that matter.  It just seems to me, that some of our so called "true fans", shoot themselves in the foot when trying to promote our sport. Do we want to get out in the shortest amount of time possible or do we want to do what is best for the athletes and our sport? This issue is addressed every year, but every year the powers that be seem to vote on the side of expediency.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.