NWI times

ontherise219

I opened my Hammond Times this morning hoping to see article about the defending team state champions Crown Point host their own invitational and on top of that a defending state champ who just signed to wrestle  at Calumet College was defeated in OT maybe one of the best .atches in the state yesterday and I got nothing not even a box score. 

I opened my Hammond Times this morning hoping to see article about the defending team state champions Crown Point host their own invitational and on top of that a defending state champ who just signed to wrestle  at Calumet College was defeated in OT maybe one of the best .atches in the state yesterday and I got nothing not even a box score.   

Unless you like to watch a kid who has been sick all week and throughout the day not have the stamina to wrestle two matches and finish off an overtime match against a good wrestler then this was not one of the best matches in the state

Is it just me, or is there an inordinate amount of times on this message board that a kid loses "because he was sick"?  If Hawkins were so sick, he would not have attended school on Friday, and/or would not have wrestled on Saturday.  As it was, he chose to compete and lost.  He was a lesser man than Danny Bradley, and that was proven by him being pinned and not having his hand raised at the conclusion of the match.  Danny Bradley is now undefeated and ranked number one in the state, and as far as I can tell, there's no asterisk next to his notable wins and losses that lists how each of them were feeling/how sore each of them were/what each of their temperatures were/how much sleep they each got the night before/etc.  He lost "thatguy".  Get over it!

I noticed that Hawkins, and 3-4 other CP varsity starters were out on Thursday night when they wrestled Lake Central. I think the sickness thing goes in waves with different teams, and they all go through it each year. Luckily, most teams get over it early in the season, but it's tough when it happens at Conseco like it did for Roach last year.

Hawkins and Bradley will get more opportunities to face one another, and I'm sure we'll see them both on the podium in Indianaplois. Hoepfully under the lights, as they'll come through the same SS and would be in opposite brackets.

PS

Brian Waddle rules when it comes to wrestling coverage!

I think that Bradley needs some credit "thatguy" When a state Champ loses I think it is big deal. If Hawk was so sick then sit CP wins the tourny without him. But the kid is a warrior and I'm sure he isn't making excuses for him self. But I guess we should expunge that loss on  his record. They didn't give Roach a title last year when he was sick he sucked it up. Bradley and Hawkins are in the same regional and Semi state so good luck to both this season. But that still doesn't change the coverage the times had   

They had 2 different articles last week about girl wrestlers from 2 different schools, nothing at all against girls wrestling but if your gonna run wrestling articles on two different days, dontcha think they would of had two totally different type of stories? I think all the good wrestlers from the Times coverage area should join bowling leagues, then at least they'll have a chance to get their names in the paper.

Can anybody give details of the match?  What was the score before the pin?  What move did Bradley hit to get the pin?  Did Hawkins have any takedowns?  Thanks

It happened in the 2nd 30 second overtime at 7:41 and from what I heard Hawkins put the legs in and got too high. That's from a 3rd hand source though. They are both tough and the rematches will be exciting.

I think the hammond times does a horrible job covering wrestling. They dont even cover the major tournament. But also, I hope the schools or coaches are turning in the results of the meets. They should also have articles on wrestlers during the week like they do the other sports. I know they had the girl wrestlers, thats great but should have more every week.

Is it just me, or is there an inordinate amount of times on this message board that a kid loses "because he was sick"?  If Hawkins were so sick, he would not have attended school on Friday, and/or would not have wrestled on Saturday.  As it was, he chose to compete and lost.  He was a lesser man than Danny Bradley, and that was proven by him being pinned and not having his hand raised at the conclusion of the match.  Danny Bradley is now undefeated and ranked number one in the state, and as far as I can tell, there's no asterisk next to his notable wins and losses that lists how each of them were feeling/how sore each of them were/what each of their temperatures were/how much sleep they each got the night before/etc.  He lost "thatguy".  Get over it!

Its not about getting over it, this weekend meant nothing, in February is when it matters and thats what irritates me when someone says it could be the best match in Indiana when a kid is obviously beaten down with an illness.  The team had no 112 and many back-ups filling in so for him to step up and try to compete shows his commitment to the team because he really had nothin to gain by winning the carnahan where Bradley had everything to gain. They both wrestle the best they could and Bradley came on top and deserve to be #1 but dont be disrespectful and kick a man while he's down by saying he lost the best match in the state.

thatguy,

Excuses are like buttholes...everyone has them and they all stink. For some reason, you can't help yourself when it comes to making excuses for why Hawkins lost. He got beat fair and square and no excuse is going to change that. Some other comments I disagree with:

"...this weekend meant nothing." I doubt Bradley feels the same way.

"...because he really had nothin to gain by winning the Carnahan..."  Ridiculous comment! Is Hawkins now a professional boxer? Does he choose which matches are worthy of his ability? In the words of former Jets coach Herm Edwards, "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!".

Not only that, but thatoneguy acts like it is an insult to lose the best match in the state!?! That simply means he was a part of the hardest fought and best overall match, and unfortunately came up short.  I too am tired of the excuses, especially since the kid has already signed to wrestle for next year.  If he was that sick, he sits out and does not wrestle because I guarantee CP has someone that could have wrestled his weight until he got back to full health.  Looking forward to the rematch.

I am failing to see where HAWKINS is making any excuses.  He lost a match and I am sure he is fine with it and will use it to motivate him.  Everyone is talking about excuses but ins't the important thing how the wrestler reacts to the loss rather than what some random people are posting on a message board?

I just have to say I think region royalty is right.  It get old hearing the same thing after a big name wrestler loses and somebody has to get on here and talk about how sick  the wrestler was. The fact is he felt well enough to wrestle, unfortanely for him he lost. We shouldn't get on here and try to discredit the opponents big win.  Most of us on here have some kind of experience with the sport, wheather its being on the mat, coaching or just a parent.  We all know during the winter season we start getting ill  it come with the territory. Hawkins IMO is a hard working top of the notch as classy as they come athlete. He probably don't like people going on here making excuses for him wheather its a fact or not. Lets give credit where credit is due and sit back, cause the next match between these two is going to be a good one!  Good Luck to Both!!

my actual comment was the one of  best matches in the state that weekend. Not entire year. Maybe Sims vs Richey was. but back to the first point when a local state champ loses I expect the Times to have coverage I don't care if he was sick or not. I have no guy, I'm pulling for. And to be so disrespectful to say the Carnhan means nothing to a CP wrestler  is stupid. Carl Carnhan is a legend of CP wrestling. But you obvious missed the entire point of my original post.   

If he was that sick, he sits out and does not wrestle because I guarantee CP has someone that could have wrestled his weight until he got back to full health. 

They FF at 119 Thursday when they faced LC and already had nobody at 112.  I am not sure how scoring goes at the tourney but to FF an entire weight class would have made the tournament alot closer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.