Traicoff Invite

rdrodd1

I for one, have not seen Sean "tooting" his own horn.  Doesn't need to, the hardware speaks for itself.  The only horns I see him tooting are his coaches and teammates.  His humor (whether you think it is funny or not is your opinion) is often at his own expense.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2009 Chris Traicoff Memorial Wrestling Invitational Pairings

Saturday, December 12, 2009

#1) Crown Point vs. Lake Station #3) Franklin vs. Lowell

#8) Munster vs. Lafayette Jeff #6) Lawrence North vs. Floyd Central

#5) Portage vs. Calumet #7) Westfield vs. Southmont

#4) Cathedral vs. Valparaiso #2) Mishawaka vs. Highland

I don't know where CBarnett got these seedings, but if they are legitimate, they are funny. Not sure how Coach Watkins could throw Franklin in as a #3 seed and Cathedral a #4. Cathedral is ultra-young and probably won't know any better. I just think it is pretty amazing that Franklin is unranked in the IHSWCA Coaches Poll and 11th in the IndianaMat poll and they jump Cathedral who is ranked #7 in both polls. I would very interested to hear the logic behind this.

I know, I know . . . spilled milk. And, Cathedral won't win this tournament this year. However, a dismantling by the Irish of a ranked Warren Central and Avon squad last weekend two weekends after their football players got back in the room shouldn't have warranted a drop in the seedings. An A Pool qualifier match with Portage to earn the opportunity to knock heads with Mishawaka, Crown Point, and now Franklin seems a little unjust. I know the Irish rarely get a fair shake up there, but this seeding is pretty comical. 

Hell, if you wanted to give the region some bias, why not just put Portage as the #3 and move Franklin to #4 and Cathedral to #5. Then most likely only one of the Indy schools would make the A pool.

Sincerely,

My dad that walked to school up hill both ways in the snow 

I don't know where CBarnett got these seedings, but if they are legitimate, they are funny. Not sure how Coach Watkins could throw Franklin in as a #3 seed and Cathedral a #4. Cathedral is ultra-young and probably won't know any better. I just think it is pretty amazing that Franklin is unranked in the IHSWCA Coaches Poll and 11th in the IndianaMat poll and they jump Cathedral who is ranked #7 in both polls. I would very interested to hear the logic behind this.

I know, I know . . . spilled milk. And, Cathedral won't win this tournament this year. However, a dismantling by the Irish of a ranked Warren Central and Avon squad last weekend two weekends after their football players got back in the room shouldn't have warranted a drop in the seedings. An A Pool qualifier match with Portage to earn the opportunity to knock heads with Mishawaka, Crown Point, and now Franklin seems a little unjust. I know the Irish rarely get a fair shake up there, but this seeding is pretty comical. 

Hell, if you wanted to give the region some bias, why not just put Portage as the #3 and move Franklin to #4 and Cathedral to #5. Then most likely only one of the Indy schools would make the A pool.

Sincerely,

My dad that walked to school up hill both ways in the snow   

just to add the the comedy...

Franklin 39

Roncalli 20

Franklin51

Lawrence North 21  :o

[/quote

What a surprise CP gets the #1 seed . I believe Mish is the clear favorite. I guess CP being the returning state champ has to account for something.

2008 finish:

1. Mishawaka

2. Crown Point

3. Cathedral

4. Lawrence North

Factors taken into consideration for 2009 pairings:

1. Nov 11th IHSWCA & Dec 7 IndianaMat.com Team Rankings

2. Early results from 2009-10 season thus far

3. Advancement in last season's IHSAA State Team Tournament & returning starters

4. Avoiding 1st Round rematches from last year while attempting to keep Conference & Regional rivals separated for 2 rounds

There's no way to make it perfect, and there's certainly no intention to slight any team, coach, or particular region of the state. There are several top 20 teams here, all deserving of a chance to win. Coach Wadkins does a FANTASIC job of putting on this meet, brings in great competition, has 8 state finals officials working, has an excellent hospitality room, and does his best to be equally fair to all.

Did we find out if these were official?

2008 finish:

1. Mishawaka

2. Crown Point

3. Cathedral

4. Lawrence North

Factors taken into consideration for 2009 pairings:

1. Nov 11th IHSWCA & Dec 7 IndianaMat.com Team Rankings

2. Early results from 2009-10 season thus far

3. Advancement in last season's IHSAA State Team Tournament & returning starters

4. Avoiding 1st Round rematches from last year while attempting to keep Conference & Regional rivals separated for 2 rounds

There's no way to make it perfect, and there's certainly no intention to slight any team, coach, or particular region of the state. There are several top 20 teams here, all deserving of a chance to win. Coach Wadkins does a FANTASIC job of putting on this meet, brings in great competition, has 8 state finals officials working, has an excellent hospitality room, and does his best to be equally fair to all.

OK. Now we are talking. So, let me continue my whine.

1. Cathedral is ranked higher in both team polls. And, Cathedral finished 3rd in last year's Traicoff.

2. Cathedral, like Franklin, is undefeated beating their only ranked opponent Warren Central 54 - 16. Warren lost to LN by one point.

3. Cathedral advanced to the State Team Semi-Finals beating then#1 Mishawaka. Franklin did not advance to the State Finals.

4. Franklin and Cathedral have zero overlap in conference or like schedules outside of the Traicoff.  

By the grace of God, if Cathedral can get past Portage, or Valpo for that matter, we have a great chance to get beat by Franklin in the round robin. I just think we have earned a better seed to help our chances to the A Pool. At the end of the day, Calumet can do whatever the hell they want as it is their tournament, but I would prefer no explanation of how seeds were handled. If we are just trying to protect avoiding conference match-ups, let's just not seed any of the teams. Connersville gets away with it somehow.

Alright, I feel better now.

I for one believe Coach Wadkins does an excellent job with this tournament, and like mentioned earlier, considers several things when making the seeds. If you have additional information that might assist Coach Wadkins in making the seeds "more fair", then send him a note with your input. He's a reasonable guy and as long as you provide your name and some verification and validity as to what you're saying, he would read it without hesitation.

Off the cuff I would personally think that Mishawaka would be the number one seed, but I haven't seen the actual rosters submitted nor am I aware of injuries or other absences that may have some role in the seeds. Just like the Team and Individual rankings that get posted, you could ask 100 people and get 100 different opinions. One thing for sure is that there will be more than one very good team that doesn't make Pool A, but when you get 6-8 of Indiana's top 20 in the same tourney that's going to happen.

Round one is 9:00AM Region time (10:00AM Indpls time) on Saturday, Dec 12, with Round 2 getting underway around 11:00AM. Should be, as always, a great day of wrestling! Good luck to all.....

Since you want to play the semantics game, let me re-phrase for the record, "Now that I have heard the flawed logic, I would prefer no explanation." Does that suffice, Greco?

Enough of this seedings nonsense. Let's talk about the match-ups. Looks like McMurray and Willis will get a shot at each other. Should be a good test of Tyler's offseason preparation. Willis will be a state champ before his career is over. Nothing like an early season measuring stick.

OK, one last question...

What is the format?  Is it round robin of the four pools then a tournament?  Sorry, but I have never been and will be there this year.

Bracket style til the semi's.  Top four teams wrestle a round robbin.. Next 4 wrestle a round robbin and so on.

OK, one last question...

What is the format?  Is it round robin of the four pools then a tournament?  Sorry, but I have never been and will be there this year.

Your actual Pool placement is dependent on how you do in the first two rounds. Kind of works like this...

If you win your first two rounds, you will go to Pool A and wrestle for 1st-4th place

If you win your first round but lose your second round, you will go to Pool B and wrestle for 5th-8th place

If you lose your first round and win your second round you will go to Pool C and wrestle for 9th-12th place

If you lose your first two rounds you will go to Pool D and wrestle for 13th-16th place.

In each Pool you will wrestle the other three teams, thus each team will wrestle a total of 5 duals on the day. There are tie-breaking criteria in each pool, as more than one team could end up with an identical record. Additionally, it would be possible for a team in Pool A to lose all three pool matches and end up 2-3 on the day, but still in 4th place and ahead of a team in pool B that may have won all three pool matches and ended up 4-1 on the day. Make sense? (I know how it works... just not sure if I conveyed it correctly)

Over the years Calumet Head Coach Jim Wadkins has experimented with several different formats, but this is the one that he has used for the past several years. Seems to work  :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.