Lawrence Schools being changed?

Smooth34

I am hearing rumblings around Indianapolis that Lawrence is redistricting and Lawrence Central kids will go to Lawrence North and LN kids will go to LC. 

They are closing Craig Middle School and making all the 6th graders go back to elementary.  They also transferred 8 or 9 of the elementary principals.

Anyone else have reliable information regarding these changes?

I did hear some mention of a proposal in the Indy star to send the 9th and 10th graders to LC and the 11th and 12th graders to LN.

If that were to happen, it would make for a remarkable change in the sports scene in the Indy area.

I would assume that if that were to happen that the two schools would combine sports programs, making them unstoppable in most of the mainstream sports.

LN-LC have a combined enrollment of 5,121.

I am not sure how such a combination would work logistically, but it's a very interesting concept.

Pretty sad that they want to close Craig Middle School.

They would not split the schools by grade.

They are splitting the township east and west.  Starting south from Post road, it would go up through Lee road to Fall Creek all the way to 96th Street.  All kids on the east side will go to LN/Fall Creek, and west will go to LC/Belzer.

Lawrence is actually a great township, but the way they are going about this is horrible! The demographics would not be close to fair!

I have not heard anything about sports yet.

My son goes to LN. As of right now nothing has been settled. The closing of Craig, moving the 6th graders back to the elementary schools, and moving the principals is pretty much a sure thing. Changing the boundries or making an upper and lower classman campus are ideas still being thrown around. The district has already decided to get rid of the true magnet elementary schools and give all elementary schools some sort of specialty name to make them look better. This has parents in a major uproar. Craig needs $3,000,000 in renovations we can't afford, but LN and LC get new football fields, LC gets a brand new huge field house, LN gets a  new natatorium and weight room that rivals any college weight room, all in the last 3 years. Major changes still to come, like new school board members?

I think Lawrence sees the writing on the wall. As IPS dissolves and most of the schools are "re-gerrymandered", all the county schools and townships are in the line of fire for consolidation. Let's face it. As Indy Metro grows, so does the metro area schools and district lines. If Mitch stays in power for another term and with the pending major deficits that the state faces, the Indianapolis Public Schools and the Marion County Schools are all beneficial targets for consolidation. Maybe this view is a pipedream, but I think it has more teeth than anyone in Lawrence, Washington, Wayne, Perry, etc. Townships would like to believe.  

How far-fetched would it be to have Manual redistricted into Franklin Central and Perry. Broad Ripple into North Central. Etc. NC, LN, etc are bursting with student populations and you have some of these former IPS schools at half capacity. Very real solution. If you look at historic data into growing cities like Chicago, Detroit, and other midwestern large populations, it is only a matter of time.

PS. Thank God the season is upon us. Long live the greatest sport in the universe.

Indiana Wrestling Guy:

Mitch Daniels is in his second term.  He is limited by statute to two terms as governor. His "reign" will be over in a little more than three years.

A commission study recommened consolidation for school corporations under 2,000 students and it wouldn't fly.  If that won't go, you will NEVER be able to consolidate IPS and Marion County schools.  If it were to become the case, the private schools in the area would jump for joy because they would net a huge increase in enrollment requests.

Whoops on the Mitch. I forgot he is in his second term. Thanks.

I would never say never. What commission study are you referring to?

Mitch's new education czar is the honorable Lance V. Rhodes. So, he is certainly on the forefront of making some sweeping changes to get our largest school systems cleaned up and more functional. And, I think everyone in Indianapolis knows that IPS is the gorilla in the room for dysfunction. Lance is one of the more brilliant and innovative minds I have come into contact with. Stay tuned. I am optimistic in having a better Indy Public School system because he is involved.

As for the P/P surge, we don't have any more room.  But, we would be happy to take the best athletes available to us. . . . .

The report I refer to was the Kernan/Shepard study done on local government reform, which included the recommendaton fo consolidate all school corporations under 2,000 students.  An excerpt is below:

The Kernan-Shepard report contains several recommendations for public schools. One

recommendation is to reorganize school districts to achieve a minimum student population of

2,000. ?Indiana has too many school districts and administrators, but Indiana does not have too

many schools. We recommend retaining geographically dispersed schools to allow districts to

maintain optimal class sizes and serve local populations and needs.? (Report-pg. 28)

Just heard yesterday why Lawrence is making so many changes. They have been below the line for academic standards for 4 years in a row. Supposedly State law says if you are below the standard for 5 years, control of the school goes to the State, just like IPS. When you make boundary adjustments etc. the time resets. They are doing what they can to keep control. East/West redistricting is a very real possibility.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.