Strikeforce Fights on CBS

Boom444

MAIN CARD

* 265: Fedor Emelianenko (232) vs. Brett Rogers (264)

* 185: Jason ?Mayhem? Miller (184) vs. Jake Shields (184.5)

* 205: Gegard Mousasi (205) vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou (204)

* 265: Antonio Silva (263) vs. Fabricio Werdum (242)

PRELIMINARY CARD

* 145: Marloes Coenen () vs. Roxanne Modafferi ()

* 135: Jeff Curran () vs. Dustin Neace ()

* 170: Deray Davis () vs. Mark Miller ()

* 170: Shamar Bailey () vs. John Kolosci ()

* 185: Louis Taylor () vs. Nate Moore ()

* 155: Jonatas Novaes () vs. Christian Uflacker ()

Overall it was a pretty good card.

Notes of the night

Brett Rogers broke Fedors nose and had Fedor in bad position but still gets KO'd

Brett Rogers made himself look like an idiot and lost some fans including me

Shields and Miller,  Miller made mma look bad with his cheerleaders intro it was a good match and alot of ground action

Silva and Werdum had some  good scrambling for Hwt's

Soukudo looked good but Mousaui is a top 5 fighter.

I agree with Navy's assesment about Rodger looking like an idiot when they cut to him for a comment.  I bet the CBS crew was smashing the dump button so hard they broke their fingers.

I disagree with Navy about Mayhem's entrance.  I literally lmao!  He is a unique personality with skills to boot (and I'm sure he brought a new group of fans to the game - MTV BullyBeatdown).  I hope we get to see a whole lot more of miller stateside.

What a great night of fights ...............What a Great Night of Free Fights that is!!!

Oh and Mousasi is so cool and collected at the beginning (and all throughout) of his fights (very similar to Fedor).  It appeared to me that he could have taken a nap once he entered the octagon.  Another poster mentioned he is almost like a hitman with how detached he seems.................I agree..............  I'm a Huge Mousasi Fan!

If you folks haven't been here yet, check it out (Great Fedor And Mousasi material)...  http://www.m-1global.com/

Oh, and Congrats to Moore and Bailey!!

And if someone close to Neace reads this I hope that they will update us on his condition.

NATE MOORE (6-1) VS. LOUIS TAYLOR (4-1)

Round 1 - Little action early as both fighters find their range. Moore delivers a leg kick and then a nice right. He then unloads a wild exchange but connects on nothing as Taylor backs away. Taylor then puts his opponent into the cage and delivers punches to the body while looking for the takedown. Moore delivers a knee to the body but eats a combo on the break. Taylor quickly gets underhooks and lands another knee to the body. The ref halts the action and warns Taylor for apparently grabbing his opponent's shorts. Moore catches a low kick and tries for the takedowh. He's unsuccessful on the first attempt but successful on the second. Taylor reverses the position but after getting his back against the cage, Moore reverses it once again and works from top position. Taylor gives up his back and gets to his feet, but Moore drags him back down, secures a leg and delivers punches from behind. Still unable to get in his hooks, Moore can't take advantage of the position and the round ends. MMAjunkie.com scores an entertaining round 10-9 for Moore.

Round 2 - Moore rushes in as Taylor tries to throw a knee. Moore tries again and unloads a quick flurry before Taylor pushes him away. Taylor shoots and pushes his opponent into the cage, and as Moore tries to reverse the position, time is called, and the ref deducts a point from Taylor (for what appears to be another shorts-grabbing incident). The fighters trade big hooks on the restart, and both connect. Moore shoots and puts Taylor into the cage and drags him to the mat and into a four-point position. Moore takes his opponent's back but can't work in his hooks because Taylor's balled up in the kneeling position. Moore softens him with knees to the body and then looks in his hooks and flattens out Taylor. Taylor defends but eats a dozen punches to the side of the head while Moore looks to create a body triangle. Taylor's in a bad spot, and Moore continues with additional punches before the ref steps in to stop it. Nate Moore def. Louis Taylor via submission (strikes) - Round 2, 3:24.

The crowd's filling in nicely and at about 60 percent capacity. A Strikeforce official said the event is soldout with an attendance of 14,555.

SHAMAR BAILEY (10-1) VS. JOHN KOLOSCI (10-6)

Round 1 - "TUF" veteran Kolosci can't avoid a telegraphed, long-range shoot attempt and is put on his back in the opening seconds of the fight. Bailey frees a leg and moves into half guard before freeing the other leg. Kolosci, though, gets to his feet, but Bailey puts him bacl on the mat and frees both legs. Kolosci again gets to his feet and then locks in a guillotine and drops to his butt. It's not very tight, but Bailey struggles to get free. Once he does, he pins one of Kolosci's arms behind his head and then locks in a guillotine before dropping to his back. Kolosci pops his head free and now works from the dominant top position. Bailey curls up on his side and grabs Kolosci's right arm to avoid punishment. The fighters break and restart, and Kolosci delivers a knee before he's taken to the mat again. Kolosci locks in a guillotine briefly but doesn't have the position. However, he gets to his feet and delivers punches to his opponent's thighs while they clinch. Kolosi then delivers a knee to the side and a three-punch combo as Bailey tries a Muay Thai clinch. Bailey wisely ducks under on the fourth shot and takes Kolosci down just as the round ends. MMAjunkie.com scores it 10-9 for Bailey.

Round 2 - Kolosci misses with a wild high kick, and Bailey ducks and shoots to score another takedown. Kolosci is pinned against the cage in a sitting position and tries to secure a guillotine. Bailey stands but is still trapped, and Kolosci follows to get better position. However, Bailey slides and drops to the mat. Kolosci attempts the guillotine again, but Bailey muscles his way free and puts Kolosci on his back in the middle of the mat. With both legs free, Bailey secures the crucifix position before Kolosci escapes and reclaims halg guard. After a scramble for position, Kolosci gets to his feet and puts his opponent into the cage. The fighters jockey for position from the clinch, block knees to the body, and then Bailey shoots and puts Kolosci back on the mat in the sitting position. Kolosci tries a guillotine but doesn't have the position and Bailey drags him back to the sitting position. An illegal knee, though, forces a timeout and costs Bailey a point. The fighters immediately restart standing, and Bailey shoots and pushes Kolosci into the cage. Kolosci fends off the takedown and tades punches from close range before the round ends. MMAjunkie.com scores the round for Bailey, but the point deduction, it's a 9-9 frame.

Round 3 - A touch of gloves gets the final frame underway, and Kolosci misses again with a round-opening head kick, Bailey shoots, dips for a single leg but can't get the takedown until Kolosci attempts a guillotine and is tossed to the mat. Bailey from inside his opponent's full guard, and the fighters trade largely ineffective punches. Bailey eventually postures up, Bailey works the butterfly guard and kicks his way free and gets back to his feet. Kolosci checks a kick, but Bailey presses forward and puts him on his back. Kolosci is sitting against the cage again and easily gets to his feet, but Bailey dops and works for the takedown. He finally gets it after putting Kolosci against the cage and pulling his legs out from under him. Bailey then overpowers Kolosci and flattens him on his back, but Kolosci rolls away and gets to the standing position. Bailey immediately clings to him and grabs a double-leg to take the fight back to the mat but eats a right hand in the process. Kolosci looks for a guillotine from the bottom and uses it to get to his feet, but Bailey presses him into the cage and scores a final takedown before the fight ends. MMAjunkie.com scores the round and fight for Bailey despite Kolosci's valiant effort. Shamar Bailey def. John Kolosci via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27).

UFC lightweight contender (and Midwesterner) Clay Guida is cageside, watching fights and chatting with fans. Scott Smith and Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal are also on floor level.

JEFF CURRAN (32-12-1) VS. DUSTIN NEACE (17-14-1)

Round 1 - Huge ovation for Illinois fighter and veteran Jeff Curran.Curran opens with a front kick to the shin, a left hook and a right low kick. Neace then takes another kick to the leg and another before eating a quick left squarely to the face. Neace, though, continues in the pocket and looks for an opening. Curran gets a quick right but eats a shot from Neace. The fighters clinch, and Curran puts his opponent against the cage and works from a trip takedown. As they're clinched, Neace winces in pain and waves off the fight just as he absorbs a big knee to the body. Neace may have broken a rib during the clinch. The fight is stopped for the submission stoppage. Jeff Curran def. Dustin Neace via submission (injury) - Round 1, 1:39.

It appears Neace broke a rib at some point during the clinch. He walked by press row with a bag of ice on the right side of his body and was visibly in pain.

Overall it was a pretty good card.

Notes of the night

Brett Rogers broke Fedors nose and had Fedor in bad position but still gets KO'd

Brett Rogers made himself look like an idiot and lost some fans including me

Shields and Miller,  Miller made mma look bad with his cheerleaders intro it was a good match and alot of ground action

Silva and Werdum had some  good scrambling for Hwt's

Soukudo looked good but Mousaui is a top 5 fighter.

First time I had ever seen Fedor fight.  He looked very good, but after watching it, I really want to see how he would handle someone with Lesnar's skills and strength. 

Shields looked good controlling the fight with his wrestling. 

I was definitely most impressed with Mousasi.  That kid is for real.

Rogers was very calm and cool at the start of the fight.  That helped him stay in the fight and even get some good moves on Fedor early.  Howevr, Fedor slowly figured out a way to capitalize and win much like he does in every fight.     If anything Rogers comes off as a very intersting HWT future prospect with his showing against Fedor.  I'm not sure letting his hands go to much more would have helped his cause much, though he claimed holding back was his big mistake in the fight.

I think Rogers gassed, and I would say it had more to do with the challenge in front of him. I figured it would be over if it went to the ground, but I think he escaped twice. Not bad for having only 10 fights and going against the most respected fighter in the world. Fedor is a monster.

The card overall was horrible they were very sloppy... But Fedor still impressed he does not to fight Lesnar though... Fedor has fought much better competition than Lesnar and dominated all of them.  I will say this, however, that Fedor would still beat Lesnar in the Octogan but not dominate because he can pin Fedor against the cage... But in a ring, not a cage, Fedor would totally dominate Lesnar without competition.

I will say that Fedor looked a little bit more wild than usual. I attribute that to the crowd. Pride crowds were notoriously quiet and applauded moves rather than hooping and hollaring. Fedor got caught in the atmosphere, maybe an atmosphere he's never been exposed to before.

• 3 weeks later...

His boxing was wild haymakers and his grappling wasn't impressive at all. I mean, I wouldn't fight him, but Lesnar would give him a beatdown. I think Anderson Silva could give up some pounds and still beat this dude...

His punch speed and power is ridiculous...Every punch he throws has bad intentions... To beat him on your feet you basically have to go a whole fight without getting hit once...Good luck with that  ;)