Middle School Team State

throwforfive

Very exciting to see a Middle School Team State. I would say this is long past due. You know Yorktown will run a class tournament rivaled by few. They hosted the Schoolboy Duals for several years and developed it in to what is now the best tournamnet in the nation for that age group. It will be exciting to see how this takes off. I am curious what teams are planning to attend? I know this is a first come first serve tournament as space is some what of a concern. I too, think it will be neat to see what teams are successful at the middle school and high school. I think here will be a true test of who is building a program from the bottom up. Good luck to all! Well, let's hear who's going?

As of September 25, 2009:

1. Yorktown Middle School

2. Perry Meridian MS

* please remember that to officially sign-up, your team's application and fee must be received by Trent McCormick

* to see complete event guidelines, click on our event logo found throughout the Indianamat website (rules and guidelines will pop up)

• 1 month later...

Many middle school programs are now getting started across the state.  I would like to encourage coaches and club representatives to consider entering the first annual Indiana Middle School State Duals competition.  This event is being hosted by Yorktown on Sunday, January 10.  I would like to offer one update and one suggestion to those who may be interested in attending this event.

Update - Wrestlers will NOT be required to secure a USA competitor's card for this event as originally advertised.  In speaking with coaches across the state, this added fee was going to make it cost prohibitive for their wrestlers.  Yorktown is going to purchase a "stand alone" insurance policy for this event.  The only fee that will be required is the team entry fee.

Suggestion - I have had a number of people contact me and say, "since this event is being held on a Sunday, our school system will not let us come."  This issue will really depend on each individual school corporation.  My guess is that most school corporations would not support a mandatory middle school event on a Sunday.  We realize this and would make the suggestion that many middle school teams that attend this event will do so under the direction of their local wrestling club and/or an organized/savvy parent or coach.  I wanted individuals out there who are dealing with this issue to know that they are not alone in overcoming this hurdle.  For example, at Yorktown we will do our best to get our varsity middle school wrestlers to commit to this event, but in the end, we cannot make a Yorktown middle school wrestler compete on a Sunday.  Don't let this stop you from attending this event.  Even if you have a couple of wrestlers who cannot attend on a Sunday, your other wrestlers will enjoy this energetic dual meet atmosphere!

The following is a list of teams who are committed to this event at this time:

Yorktown

Perry Meridian

Westfield

For further details such as weight classes, age requirements and tournament format, click on our event logo located throughout the Indianamat website.  For specific questions or to verbally commit to this event, please contact Trent McCormick at tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us or at 765-282-9136. 

We look forward to hosting an event where middle school wrestlers from across the state can look forward to wrestling quality competition in January.

Thank you,

Trent McCormick

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious why the middle school state duals has different weight classes than the middle school state individual meet?

Middle School duals

70, 75, 80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 105, 110, 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165 & HWT (max 225)

Middle school State individual

75 ? 80 ? 85 ? 90 ? 95 ? 102 ? 110 ? 117 ? 125 ? 132 ? 140 ? 150 ? 160 ? 175 ? 195 ? 220 ? 275

As of November 28, 2009:

1. Yorktown Middle School

2. Perry Meridian MS

3. Greenfield Central MS

4. Westfield MS

5. Muncie Wilson MS

* please remember that to officially sign-up, your team's application and fee must be received by Trent McCormick

* to see complete event guidelines, click on our event logo found throughout the Indianamat website (rules and guidelines will pop up)

The IHSWCA Middle School Individual State Championship serves as a qualifier for the USA Wrestling National Middle School Duals in Danville, Illinois the last week-end in March. The top 2 wrestlers in each weight class qualify for "Team Indiana" Gold and Blue. The weight classes at the individual state championships are the same as those at the national dual meet.  

The IHSWCA Middle School Individual State Championship serves as a qualifier for the USA Wrestling National Middle School Duals in Danville, Illinois the last week-end in March. The top 2 wrestlers in each weight class qualify for "Team Indiana" Gold and Blue. The weight classes at the individual state championships are the same as those at the national dual meet.  

Ok, so why not use those same weight classes for our team duals state? I am just curious, not trying to start a war.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.