Rumor has it II

sasquatch

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, i know this is different from wrestling... but lets be honest here, being from Northern Indiana, if there were a child in the South Bend, Mishawaka, or Elkhart school system and they were a great football player and had a chance to get a scholarship to play football in college, they would be a fool to not go to Penn with the current enrollment system. Anyone who says different is either a fool or a liar, because the kids best shot at a good future is to play football at Penn. Now like i said, it is a little different with wrestling, because wrestlers have a better chance at being noticed without being on a great team, but that being said, if a wrestler truly thought that their chance at getting a scholarship was better by transferring to a different school then so be it.

It may seem unfair, and in actuallity it is unfair, but with the current system we have there is nothing to stop it from happening... I just fear the day where Penn's football coaches are at middle school games scouting for football talent in other systems while Mishawaka's wrestling coaches are doing the same for wrestling.... whats next? are the coaches going to be making in home visits making recruitment pitches to 12 and 13 year olds and their families?

Again... I guess if anyone could give me one example where there was a extreme difference in the result of the Wrestlers life (for the positive) I would promise to not discuss this subject ever again.

Again... I guess if anyone could give me one example where there was a extreme difference in the result of the Wrestlers life (for the positive) I would promise to not discuss this subject ever again.

So if you lived in the IPS system, you dont think there would be a difference if you transfered to Warren, LN, LC, Pike Ben Davis, North Central, or any of the other township schools? Not only would you most likely recieve a better education, you would have much better facilities as well.

So if you lived in the IPS system, you dont think there would be a difference if you transfered to Warren, LN, LC, Pike Ben Davis, North Central, or any of the other township schools? Not only would you most likely recieve a better education, you would have much better facilities as well.

Warendad,

Although I generaly agree with your posts, I have to disagree here. First, I've worked in IPS. There are plenty of competent educators in the district and students who take advantage of the opportunities given them. Education starts in the home. If it isn't valued there, it doesn't matter where you go to high school. Next, what about all the kids who are bussed to township schools? Unfortunately, many of them are not playing sports, not passing ISTEP, and not graduating high school. Is it really making a difference in their lives? Furthermore, the schools you mentioned may have better facilities, but how would you then argue the success of the Catholic schools who have some of the worst facilities in the Metro Area? Finally, despite these nicer facilities, they still face many of the same problems as IPS. Some of the worst neighborhoods in Indy feed into the districts you mentioned.

Warrendad... this is a question , not an example, right?

you would hope that  "pride and honor" would come into play at some point.

;)Agreed, It is really too young for atheletes to be doing this. They really need to crack down on it . There

are plenty of camps and things wrestlers can do in the off season to improve. If they can't figure that out, that is there

own problem. Suck it up!!

What if your son or daughter was in elementary school and was having trouble understanding/learning from their teacher.  You tried talking to her and she told you that your son or daughter just wasn't catching on to her way of teaching.  But you know another teacher at another school in town would be a good fit for your child. Do you ask for a transfer or just tell your child to suck it up?

You are talking about something that is totally different. We are talking about kids switching schools  for athletics(which I used to think was more important then classes) for better partners in wrestling. That is garbage a great wrestler is going to be great wrestler by what you do and put into on youre own if you have to. You have camps all summer, tournaments to wrestle in and whatever else kind of work you can put in on youre own. I had the same coach when I started when I was young until I was a junior in high school and disliked my coach very much my senior year but thats what you have to deal with. I would go home after practice and work out and run on my own because I was not always happy with the partners/workouts at practice. I never thought about switching schools. I just really think people are going over the top when they start recruiting and switching schools for athletics. If you are doing it for the right reasons early on for academics or better living and working surroundings that is different but if you are  switching  schools based soley atheletics. I'm sorry but I have are hard time rooting for ya! The other only reason I feel it is  o.k. is if parents and freinds  decide at an early age to send there kids to the same school based on there early friendship. Anything other than that I think is sad by the coaches and parents. You are basically Bandwagoners :)

If you switch for athletic reasons then you should not be cheered for in my opinion! Call me whatever you want, but there is a small school called Pioneer who send wrestlers to state and even to college to wrestle, and they only have 20 or so kids each year (that would be a good  year.) You can not blame it on practice partners or coaches. If you want it you can earn it no matter where you are. Switching for athletic reasons is a cop out!

If you switch for athletic reasons then you should not be cheered for in my opinion! Call me whatever you want, but there is a small school called Pioneer who send wrestlers to state and even to college to wrestle, and they only have 20 or so kids each year (that would be a good  year.) You can not blame it on practice partners or coaches. If you want it you can earn it no matter where you are. Switching for athletic reasons is a cop out!

:oRight on brother, couldn't agree with you more. Ultimately good coaches can help you but in an individual sport they can't compete for you(that's where your own hard work has to pays off).  That's what's wrong with this senerio these good kids need to lead by example and not flee and maybe there program will excell. That all  comes down to loyalty. I think Union COUNTY is another example! How many kids are there even in that school. Theyve produced champions as well. Penn High School is another great program with a great head coach that has never had an individual state champion yet but has had numerous state place winners who has lost some of there wrestlers to mishawaka. Where's the loyalty?

You all know I am not in favor of the moving.  What is bothering me now are these posts people toss in there from time to time talking about transfering and getting scholarships that will get them these great educations and great jobs, or else they will be in a factory.

*First of all, some of the best guys I know work in factories, there is nothing wrong with this.

*Second, this is not basketball, no one is making or breaking their life depending on if they get a scholarship for wrestling, as nearly all are to tiny schools for partial money. This keeps being put out there like there are all these guys getting these wonderful college tuitions paid for. (It isn't happenin')

*If you were good enough to get some college money at one school, you'll be good enough at the other.

*...And several people have made a great point - despite all these comments no one can come up with ONE EXAMPLE of this ever occuring!!!

Warendad,

Although I generaly agree with your posts, I have to disagree here. First, I've worked in IPS. There are plenty of competent educators in the district and students who take advantage of the opportunities given them. Education starts in the home. If it isn't valued there, it doesn't matter where you go to high school. Next, what about all the kids who are bussed to township schools? Unfortunately, many of them are not playing sports, not passing ISTEP, and not graduating high school. Is it really making a difference in their lives? Furthermore, the schools you mentioned may have better facilities, but how would you then argue the success of the Catholic schools who have some of the worst facilities in the Metro Area? Finally, despite these nicer facilities, they still face many of the same problems as IPS. Some of the worst neighborhoods in Indy feed into the districts you mentioned.

You are 100% right, education starts in the home, and if the parents are not behind the kids, then not much can be done unless the kid is of such character to do it all on his own. However I know of one kid on the WC team that has had his life improved greatly by being part of that program. The kid is a great kid, but had no idea what was available until he came out here and saw what a moderate family life is like. He has decided that getting his grades where they need to be, and finding his way into college is something he wants for his life. Would he have found that at IPS, possibly. Did he find that out here, Yes.

You all know I am not in favor of the moving.  What is bothering me now are these posts people toss in there from time to time talking about transfering and getting scholarships that will get them these great educations and great jobs, or else they will be in a factory.

*First of all, some of the best guys I know work in factories, there is nothing wrong with this.

*Second, this is not basketball, no one is making or breaking their life depending on if they get a scholarship for wrestling, as nearly all are to tiny schools for partial money. This keeps being put out there like there are all these guys getting these wonderful college tuitions paid for. (It isn't happenin')

*If you were good enough to get some college money at one school, you'll be good enough at the other.

*...And several people have made a great point - despite all these comments no one can come up with ONE EXAMPLE of this ever occuring!!!

You have stated some very good points. When did this start happening? I am fully against this, but the sad part is that the  people who do this and agree with it will do it anyway. I don't ever remember this being an issue back in the day but maybe it was. I just know how I feel when it comes loyalty and High School athletics and those will be the people I will root for.

Trying to get back on topic somewhat, Stahl is attending Mishawaka. His family sold their house in Elkhart and purchased homes in Mishawaka. I am happy for him and his family. He is a great kid! I don't feel any of us know the details behind the move so I will not speculate. I do want to comment on moves to get scholarships and what not. It is far easier to get money for academics. We shouldn't be leading these kids to think a better performance at state will get them athletic scholarships. It is really not that easy. If you want to get money, go earn it at Fargo as Indiana is not recognized as one of the states with a reputation for our state champs doing it at the next level.  Or just plain old hard work in the classroom. I really don't feel 2 X State Champ Camden Eppert got much athletic money at Purdue. Instead, I think he "got paid" for his academics. Coaches should continue to push this approach with the kids. In reference to loyalty, well, again I will not speculate. I do know that I seen Brian Seltzer with Stahl alot. Seltzer is a great coach whom doesn't get noticed alot but is year in and year out with studs down at state placing. A final observation, Corpe is a stud and could via for a state title. But, there is no comparing Corpe to the partners Stahl will have at Mishawaka. There are plenty and it will be great for him. Good luck to Ryan Stahl and all the wrestlers in the upcoming season.

Also, keep in mind, Elkhart Memorial is a very deep team year in and year out and almost no other teams in the state save for Mater Dei and sometimes perhaps Merrillville and CP have the ability to continually roll out guys for an initial varsity season as a senior and have them be state level quality.  They constantly do it and Seltzer's system is the reason why.

I wish Stahl the best, but EM is not going anywhere.

So why did Stahl move in his Senior year?  Heard that there was lots of tension between Stahl and Corpe stemming form last season.  I hope they go the same weight so we can see them wrestle the finals @ Al Smith.

Seems to me that everyone has forgotten that Elkhart Memorial is a private school. I'm not sure what it costs, but I'm sure it's several thousand dollars a year. That along with the fact that area of the state has been hit harder than most by the economy (msn) and that his older brother is in college. Who can blame them? The Stahl family have the right to better their situation for whatever reason they have. Last time I checked that is why America was founded. Unless of course you complainers want to pitch in and pay their bills and tuition payments! As long as they go by the IHSAA rules (and it seems they have), God Bless Them! Judgement should not be passed until you know their situation, and you probably never will because it's none of our business!!!!!

Seems to me that everyone has forgotten that Elkhart Memorial is a private school. I'm not sure what it costs, but I'm sure it's several thousand dollars a year. That along with the fact that area of the state has been hit harder than most by the economy (msn) and that his older brother is in college. Who can blame them? The Stahl family have the right to better their situation for whatever reason they have. Last time I checked that is why America was founded. Unless of course you complainers want to pitch in and pay their bills and tuition payments! As long as they go by the IHSAA rules (and it seems they have), God Bless Them! Judgement should not be passed until you know their situation, and you probably never will because it's none of our business!!!!!

Elkhart Memorial is not a private school.  In terms of the economy, I'm not sure Mishawaka is all that different than Elkhart.  I know a lot of people who live in Mishawaka and SB who worked in Elkhart County for RV manufacturers. 

Easy Killer. For me I really dont care that he moved! Just seems wierd that he moved going into his senior year. Secondly, His family lived in the Elkhart Central district before the move to Mishawaka and when his brother Steve went to high school his family chose to send him to Elkhart Memorial because the wrestling program @ EC was in shambles. So... there already is a track record of picking and choosing. I wish Ryan well! I have talked to him many times and he has helped my sons before and he is a great kid!! 

whoah macdaddy -    You are right, this is america - Therefore we are exercising our right to free speech - Someone wrote that down in some document somewhere.... 

As i have stated on many, many occasions, just because it is technically legal, does not mean it is ethical, or the right thing to do.

Seriously, why not have Memorial dual Mishawaka again?!  I know there is a lot of bad blood between Mishawaka and Penn, but given the most recent developements here we would have to have this dual in a cage at the Century Center with the National Guard on call.  The Al Smith is going to need brackets for the matches that might happen in the stands.  I could seed the families between Memorial and Mishawaka if you would like!?  What a great time to be in the northern Indiana wrestling family  8)  I'd love to say more, but I live in the neighborhood between the Hatfields and the McCoys  ;D  Get your popcorn ready sports fans!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.