Input for the ISWA on issues for next year

GrecoCoach

The ISWA is meeting this weekend for our annual budget meeting.  This is when we make some decisions on the next season's tounaments and membership (clubs, athletes, coaches, and officials) along with ISWA trip planning and budgeting.  Each ISWA Board Member was given a list of questions to get us thinking about specific issues.  We would like some input about certain areas from the wrestling community as well.

You can respond to any or all of the following by posting here, sending me a PM, or emailing me at jharreld@hse.k12.in.us

NOTE:  This is not a place to argue about ideas - this is simply to get some ideas for the ISWA to consider.  We'll do all the arguing in a proper meeting setting.

1.  What can we do to improve numbers in Freestyle and Greco?

2.  What can we do to improve numbers of athletes and coaches (USAW membership)?

3.  What can we do to better prepare our National Teams for competition, or raise the quality of Freestyle and Greco in our state?

4.  What is the best method to select our duals teams?

5.  What can we do to bring down the costs of our National Trips?

6.  What can we do to better market our National Teams (i.e. get our best to go)?

7.  What can we do to make our State Tournament run more efficiently?

8.  What can we do to increase the number of Women wrestlers in the state?

9.  What can we do to increase the number of officials in our state?

10.  How can we improve our website?

11.  How can we improve our Publication, and yet control or lower the cost?

12.  Do you think Folkstyle season is too long, or at the right time of year?

13.  What can be done to improve our Cultural Exchange program?

14.  What ideas could help solve problems with our State, Regional, National, and Camp venues?

15.  How can we bring back the honor of making TEAM INDIANA?

16.  What are your ideas about anything else?

All ideas are welcome, even outside-the-box ideas.  Again, please don't argue the ideas here and please don't put down anyone else's "strange" ideas.

Post them here, send me a PM, or email me at jharreld@hse.k12.in.us

Jake Harreld

ISWA Cadet Director

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just an idea/opinion, but I think you should losen the rules on insurance. Our club wants to be ISWA. We had 73 kids the year before last. But our area is moving towards Hyway. So for our kids to do friendship duals and ISWA meets, we have to have 2 cards. If ISWA would cover us on friendship meets, we would probably stick with them. If they do not, we will have to figure something else out, and money is tight for alot of people right now.

Give IHSAA State Placers a waiver straight to Fargo. I know my son wasn't healthy enough to participate in ISWA State or FILA Cadets. But he was healthy enough to go to Fargo. But the waiver process is a pain. However in the end his brother came home on leave from Iraq, which is why we didn't pursue it. Also I think making the camps an option may help. Or setting up area commuter camps. Overall, 15 days or so away from home and your normal routine is hard on a kid. Also pursuiting corporate sponsorship and/or fundraising to help with costs. And I agree with some people on here who have said that the Folkstyle season  is to long. Let folkstyle state end the weekend after IHSAA state. Then get right into freestyle. That or lengthen out freestyle to early June. That means it would be right before the duals, Fila's and Fargo. Scheduling is everything.

I would like to see the folkstyle season shortened and/or the freestyle season lengthened.  Also, please make sure the Junior state finals are not the same day as FILA Cadets.  First year Juniors can wrestle at FILA Cadets and it is a great tournament for kids to wrestle in if they want some national exposure. 

I also do not like that you can have folkstyle meets now during the "freestyle" season. 

I personally am not a fan of the "ironman" meets either.  By March I am tired of being in a gym all day and do not want to be in a gym for two straight days on my only days off.

We also need some incentive such as half off the trip to Fargo for state champions and returning AA's.  Even giving a little money off for kids that qualify at a regional would help too. 

As far as the Fargo camp, try to have them in a couple different locations, North, South and Central so kids and coaches don't have to travel as far and costs can be cut.  These all could be on different weekends(Fri-Sun) so kids could make it to a camp(or two) and not have to worry about other camps they signed up for.  Many kids don't know when or where the Fargo camp will be held and they go ahead and sign up for other camps and then have to choose between going to Fargo or another camp that they already paid for.  We could also cut costs and have the kids that travel to the camps put up by host families. 

We are not allowed to give price discounts to kids based on performance per the IHSAA.  Other states have less restrictive regulations that allow this.

My main concern with granting waivers basedon IHSAA state finals finish is the difference in style.  I am not sure a folkstyle tournament should serve as a qualifier for a freestyle or greco tournament.

Cale Hoover

ISWA Junior Director

I agree with macdaddy and Y2.  We need to value the Freestyle and Greco season more.  The first step should be to lengthen it within the state.

Decreasing the time commitments for the trips would probably help as well.  Summer breaks seem to be getting shorter each year and many wrestlers want some down time.

When I spoke of the waiver's, I was just tryin' to put the best team on the mat. Most of Indiana's best are all state finalists. I realize there are always exceptions, but you have to have some criteria. Being good at one style may not mean you are good at the other, but generally speaking it holds true. Look at this year's AA's. I believe all but 1 were State Placers!

When I spoke of the waiver's, I was just tryin' to put the best team on the mat. Most of Indiana's best are all state finalists. I realize there are always exceptions, but you have to have some criteria. Being good at one style may not mean you are good at the other, but generally speaking it holds true. Look at this year's AA's. I believe all but 1 were State Placers!

macdaddy, that looks good at first but there are reasons why it would not work. As a state I believe we  send three wrestlers per weightclass. What if you had a kid that placed at IHSAA state that did not wrestle at freestyle state. What do you do if  the guys that wrestled a freestyle state and placed 1st, 2nd, and 3rd all want to go to nationals? Do you tell the 3rd place kid at freestyle state that he is replaced by a guy who placed at IHSAA state? What if the 3rd place kid has wrestled and beat the other kid in the local freestyle tournaments five or six times in a row? What if that IHSAA placer wrestled 103lbs at IHSAA state but now wants to go to nationals at 135lbs?

One answer would seem to be rewarding the top placers at FS and GR state, but the obvious issue with that is that not all of the top kids even participate in those tourneys. Plus, there are strange situations like Ryan Stahl placing 7th at FS state and then turning around and becoming an AA at Fargo.

I believe you get three wrestlers per weight class average allocation, but can split them up however you want to.  Some feel free to correct me if that is wrong.

In Ohio they allocate their qualifiers by the state tournament and then by petition.  Here are the details.

> 13 wrestlers in the weight class at state then the top three placers qualifies automatically

9-12 wrestlers the top 2 placers qualifies automatically

< 8 the champion qualifies automatically

That then leaves the other spots open to a petition.  That way we get a better team as a whole.

Here are the other details of their selection process.

http://www.fcpsports.com/usawrestling_editor_files/Download/USA-Ohio/NationalTeams/09qualify_procedure.pdf

We get 3 entries per weight class at nationals.  The max you can take is 4, so you would only be able to take 2 at another weight.  This is often easily done because we rarely have 3 wrestlers at Junior 98 for example.

We can earn extra entries by kids qualifying at Fila Junior/Cadet or one of the regional tournaments.

Ohio looks to be doing some interesting things with their qualification process.  Also, I noticed their price of going to Fargo is very similar to ours.

As I mentioned in another post I would love to see a way to push both the folkstyle season back two weeks.  This would allow more time for the season at the middle school and high school level and also for clubs that can not start until the middle school or high school coaches are finished with their season. 

Then by doing that push the freestyle and greco season back 2 weeks and add a few more weeks to it as well.  This would give coaches time to teach the freestyle and greco system and kids to learn, get comfortable working on it, and participate in more than a few meets before the season is almost to an end. 

Then because of this interfearing with the national duals change the opperation of picking those teams.  You could have coaches pick those teams based off of the individual freestyle/greco tournament results thus far and any additional info like how they placed in Folkstyle state or the IHSAA state event.  Seems like we are having a hard enough time finding a full roster as it is so the coaches picking the team based on how kids have preformed so far in the season may not be that different than waiting for the state finals anyway.  Keep the qualification for Individual Nationals (Fargo) the same since their would still be enough time to pick that team even with the freestyle/greco state finals pushed back. 

I know the biggest issue is with the venue but it seems like we could find a way around that somehow if the outcome solves some other issues.  I just think it helps move involed to have a slightly later freestyle season so more can participate and a somewhat later freestyle/greco so more can gain experiance before the season is almost over.

I agree that a big issue with the olympic styles is the length of the season.  It is actually even shorter because we really lose two weekends due to spring break.

There has been debate in the past on how to select duals teams.  I will tell you the ISWA has the current policies in place because they are the most fair.  Some have concerns about opening the organization up to criticism by handpicking the teams.  I will tell you that I think that idea has some merit, but it is a slippery slope.

I love the discussion going on.  I agree with many of the things stated about the length of the freestyle and greco season.  However, the state tournament dates for next year were set in June.  So, all this discussion would have to be applied to the following season (2011).

Keep the ideas coming - especially related to the 16 questions I listed above focusing on policies, programs, and events.

We also had a couple of first year cadets that won both freestyle and greco that will be going to Fargo next year as a second year cadet.  The cost is high for Fargo if  you are a first year in your division thinking might only win a couple of matches it is hard to pay that in the economy today.  Just my opinion

I believe that we have to distinguish our state tournament from the other tournaments.  Right now, our state tournament simply has the feel of just a bigger Saturday tournament.  If we could somehow bring more attention too and create a "bigger" buzz about the state tournament that seperates it from the regular weekend tournaments then maybe that will help give rise to Team Indiana status and what it means to make that team.  I know this is not a huge issue, but I believe there is some merit in my statement. I may have some suggestions, but have no real idea how to implement them. 

A special awards presentation.  Podium with possible picture available. (like High School and Fargo)

Certain mats that are "finals" mats only to highlight when wrestlers are in the finals of their weight class.

Just some thoughts....

Duals teams should be handpicked. That would eliminate the discussion for criteria. I voted last year for the current selection process, only because "selection by commitee" wasn't an option.

Freestyle numbers have been dropping, folkstyle numbers have been rising. Maybe we need to decide what we, as a state, would like to focus on. Maybe just offer folkstyle state to jr high and down again. Maybe just offer folkstyle state to elementary, since jr high already has a state tournament. This might get more high schoolers back into freestyle, thus creating more prestige for Team Indiana.

Triple B, that's not a bad idea. Folkstyle State for just Schoolboy and below. Cadets & Juniors have their JV & varsity seasons. Also I did say there were exceptions, but I bet if you statistics guys did the numbers. The overwhelming majority, especially in the Junior ranks are all IHSAA State Qualifiers/Placers! And as far as the cost of Fargo, unsure hore to do it, but other states do. Instead of looking why Indiana can't lower the cost, Indiana needs to find a way around the roadblock. Think outside the box. I know if this old Marine told my Boss that I can't, he would find someone who could!

The only issue I would see with that is I believe many JV wrestlers should get more mat time in all styles.  Some of these kids do not have many matches during the high school year and can start wrestlering in folkstyle events around the week of semi-state.  Since many of these kids would still be Cadets they will have a pool of 8th graders they could face during this time.  Many middle school kids may also not get many matches either yet do not participate in the ISWA folkstyle season.  I see this to be because they: A did not hear much about the ISWA and what it is from their middle school coaches.  B. Don't want to participate in ISWA while still in middle school wrestling season.  C. Do not have a coach that will be their during that time if the HS coaches are usually still in season and the middle school or youth coaches doesn't help with that season. 

I guess it then becomes:

How do we get more JV out for the season right after their long high school season finishes up?  It seems a little early to start freestyle/greco at that point if many haven't been coached much on the style and their only club coach is school wrestling season.

How do we get those JV kids to then transition over from ISWA folkstyle into also participating in a freestyle/greco season?

How do we sell ISWA to more middle school kids so more will stick around with it during high school.  Then how do we get some middle schools to see a benifit from rearranging their wrestling season so it ends early enough to participate in ISWA folkstyle or so it incorporate ISWA events into the end of their season?

Here are a few answers

1.  What can we do to improve numbers in Freestyle and Greco?

Its going to be tougher now that we have an established folkstyle season.  It used to be you wrestle from March through May or you don't do it at all.  Now the folkstyle season goes from January through March and the kids can do spring things like baseball and soccer.  We do need more coaches to push the international styles.  Many coaches do not like the rules and refuse to learn them.  They pass that attitude on to the kids.

2.  What can we do to improve numbers of athletes and coaches (USAW membership)?

Lower the cost, but sadly that probably won't happen.  I know we got about 20 more little kids signed up this year for the club and I think the main reason was we lowered the dues from $50 to $30.

3.  What can we do to better prepare our National Teams for competition, or raise the quality of Freestyle and Greco in our state?

More FS/GR tournaments and/or a longer season.  We also need the coaches to push these styles and more coaches to be knowledgeable about these styles.

4.  What is the best method to select our duals teams?

I talked to Tom Erickson about this and he said it perfectly, we need to establish what our goal of this trip is.  Is it for us to compete for a championship or take kids for experience.  If it is to win the tournament, then we need to hand pick the team.  If not, we should keep it like it is.

5.  What can we do to bring down the costs of our National Trips?

As I said earlier, have a few regional training camps and have out of area kids housed by families from around there.  Give the families a stipend for hosting a kid to pay for meals and such. 

6.  What can we do to better market our National Teams (i.e. get our best to go)?

Unfortunately we can't give discounts based on performance, so the only other way is to lower the cost. 

7.  What can we do to make our State Tournament run more efficiently?

I would like to see some sort of bout board like they have at Fargo.  I'm not sure how feasible it is, but the noise at the fairgrounds after two days makes me deaf.  That way if a kid or coach misses where a kid was assigned they can look at the board.

8.  What can we do to increase the number of Women wrestlers in the state?

More tournaments and camps and promotion that we have women wrestlers in this state.

9.  What can we do to increase the number of officials in our state?

I think we need to pay the FS/GR refs like we pay the folkstyle refs.  Also promoting discounts at tournaments and state for reffing. 

10.  How can we improve our website?

More defined organization of where the information is located.  The site has all the information that you will ever need(and more), but sometimes it takes a few clicks to find where that info is located.  Also have a more updated and defined news section for special announcements.

12.  Do you think Folkstyle season is too long, or at the right time of year?

Its about right

15.  How can we bring back the honor of making TEAM INDIANA?

Unfortunately with 80 million "Nationals" now taking place its not an honor to be on a national team.  It seems every weekend from March-June you can go to a "nationals."  It used to be there were a few tournaments here and there, but its out of control.  There really is no way to do it unless you limit the number of kids that can go, but then we increase the cost and less kids get the experience.

* To improve the numbers in freestyle and greco you need to: 1.  cut down on ISWA Folkstyle.  2. Quit changing the rules and making them so complicated you have to have a reference book with you.

*Can anyone produce any stats on how we did nationally before we added so much Folkstyle in the ISWA and how we do now that we have it?? Would be interesting to see, could also provide some insight into our situation of raising the numbers.

*You CANNOT handpick the team, all sorts of politics will ensue and it will cause far more problems than we need. Certain parents or coaches with extra pull will get their guys on the teams; will be totally unfair. Let the competition decide it. (We do not 'hand pick' our olympic team.

*To bring back honor to Team Indiana, establish one 'traditional' singlet and gear, and only have it for the fargo greco and freestyle juniors and cadets. Only produce exactly enough for each member of the team. Then it will be an honor to be in posession of this, and to wear it, as it will be tough to come by, and more recognizable if you stick with one design. (ie: everyone knows when they see a MD singlet)

The rules for freestyle and greco will always be tweaked, adjusted, and changed.  FILA, the international governing body for wrestling is in charge and makes these decisions.  USA Wrestling and the ISWA have little to no input on these decisions.

*Can anyone produce any stats on how we did nationally before we added so much Folkstyle in the ISWA and how we do now that we have it?? Would be interesting to see, could also provide some insight into our situation of raising the numbers.

Here is a list of all the All-Americans throughout the history of time.

http://www.iswa.com/allamer.html

* To improve the numbers in freestyle and greco you need to: 1.  cut down on ISWA Folkstyle.  2. Quit changing the rules and making them so complicated you have to have a reference book with you.

*You CANNOT handpick the team, all sorts of politics will ensue and it will cause far more problems than we need. Certain parents or coaches with extra pull will get their guys on the teams; will be totally unfair. Let the competition decide it. (We do not 'hand pick' our olympic team. *To bring back honor to Team Indiana, establish one 'traditional' singlet and gear, and only have it for the fargo greco and freestyle juniors and cadets. Only produce exactly enough for each member of the team. Then it will be an honor to be in posession of this, and to wear it, as it will be tough to come by, and more recognizable if you stick with one design. (ie: everyone knows when they see a MD singlet)

We do pick our World Cup team which is a dual meet competition

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.