team State Predictions

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cat,  I was just making note that being on the Southside of Indianapolis I have notice that the staff at Perry and Roncalli have made some pretty good progress in the wrestling programs. Perrys staff is at almost every youth tournament with there kids. They groom these kids from day one. I see those same kids wrestling for there HS. I don't ever see them gaining a "move in" wrestler. They coach these kids from day one. IMO I just see how well they do with the kids from the start to there 12 th. grade year. I think with what they get they do a awesome job putting a team together year in, year out. As far as Roncalli. Ellis and his staff have done (in such a short time) awesome job with the kids they also get. To his credit, he may coach a kid at a young age thru his 8th. grade and lose him to a public school because of the tuition cost of the private school. If both of the programs had such the " move in" wrestler in the program they might be sitting with a couple Team State Titles.  Just my opinion...

Cat,  I was just making note that being on the Southside of Indianapolis I have notice that the staff at Perry and Roncalli have made some pretty good progress in the wrestling programs. Perrys staff is at almost every youth tournament with there kids. They groom these kids from day one. I see those same kids wrestling for there HS. I don't ever see them gaining a "move in" wrestler. They coach these kids from day one. IMO I just see how well they do with the kids from the start to there 12 th. grade year. I think with what they get they do a awesome job putting a team together year in, year out. As far as Roncalli. Ellis and his staff have done (in such a short time) awesome job with the kids they also get. To his credit, he may coach a kid at a young age thru his 8th. grade and lose him to a public school because of the tuition cost of the private school. If both of the programs had such the " move in" wrestler in the program they might be sitting with a couple Team State Titles.  Just my opinion...

Isn't Caliboy's son a move-in?

I agree that Lance has done a nice job in a small amount of time. However, you seem to act like coaching at a private school is a handicap because of tuition costs. Do you think he could have had the same amount of success if he were at a public school? For example, do you think he would have had that success at Speedway or Broad Ripple?

As for Cali boy, I know he went to a grade school with my kids in 6th, 7th grade I believe. I know it was somewhere during that time. I know they were on the same football, wrestling team. That school is in Perry Township. Before then I do not know where he went to school. I think maybe Warren School District.  As far as the " move in wrestler"  I think you know what I was talking about.  I was just attempting to give some credit to Perry's Staff for all what they do for the program. They have been so close to winning a Team Title.  Not saying they are the best in the state. I will say they are the best I have seen in dedication.

As for  your second question: Yes, He is in handicap because of tuition cost. I seen it first hand. Do I think he could turn a program around like the schools you mention. Yes, I do. Between Lance Ellis, Robert Miller they could turn  the womans volleyball team into great wrestlers.

I think some of the powerhouse continue to work hard and make it to Team State. However, there is a chance for some new faces to emerge.

Mishawaka (strong returning team and Stahl only makes you better)

Perry Meridian (Tonte, continues to work hard and stay on top)

Indianapolis Cathedral (balance will be the key here)

Evansville Mater Dei (older team steps up and claims their spot)

Merriville (Maldanado doesn't have to get through so many C.P. seniors)

Delphi (sorry, but a very weak Team Semi-state and they are the best of that group)

New Castle (I felt better than Roncalli last year, but healthy Campbell makes the difference, their tough)

Yorktown (maybe the year for the USA Kids Man of the Year and the Asst Coach of the year to get past tradition)

I think everyone needs to think about New Castle,placing high, they beat some tough competition last year and this year Campbell will be back in full force without the possibility of his appendix rupturing.  The team is going to have a great line up with some deep depth look out the community is getting behind this team and the boys have a desire they haven't had in a while.

• 2 weeks later...

Look what Spencer and the coaches are doing at Pike...Talk about turning around a program in a short period of time....

What are they doing? I haven't heard much about them.

Spence has brought Pike along way in the last year or so. 10 regional qualifiers compared to the i think 3 or 4 the year before that. Dmarcus placed 2nd in the state this year. The wrestlers there are dedicated and he has a good program with hard workers in it. They went from low placing in their sectional to placing 3rd this past year and the talent keeps on growing. Look out for pike this year especially 135-160 weight classes they should have some break out kids

Its of my opinion that if you want to find the best coaches in the state, and that is the coaches that are helping build the greatest high school wrestlers in the state, you have to look no further than all the coaches involved with CIA. Whether it be in Indianapolis or Da Region these guys are getting things done.

wat about mark mendoza. head coach of tech he has brought that program up alot in the little years he has been there

Not sure we are talking team state predictions here but Tech did have a active freestyle season.  Several of their guys got some great mat time and that will show on this season.

It looks like Coach Dave has the Pirates ready this year for a long run in the State tournament.  His line up is stacked from 103 all the way to heavy.  Crown Point has their studs but it looks like they lost too many seniors last year.  Munster has their team ready to do some damage in spite of losing Estrada.  Mishawaka and Penn will be tough coming out of the South Bend area.  Can't wait for the season to start!!!!

Who else transfered to Warren besides Wright

Josh Williams from Mt. Vernon has moved back to the Warren district. He got his start at Stoneybrook middle school. At one time their team had Matt Moreland, Josh Williams, Brandon Wright, and Nick Odom as a 1,2,3,4 punch in the middle of the line up. It was a very cool thing to watch. i remember more then one meet where the oposing parents were just shaking thier heads after that group left the mat wondering what was next.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.