I hate it when I'm right! Weight class changes coming in 2010

Y2CJ41

118lbs was the starting weight in college back in 1997.  Note that I stated "in college."  Just for further clarification here are my weights for my competitive years.

9th grade- 103lbs

10th grade- 106lbs

11th grade- 112lbs

12th grade- 112lbs

College

Freshman- 118-133lbs*

Sophomore- 149lbs

Junior- 141lbs

Senior- 149lbs

5th Year- 141lbs

*I made 118+5(a 5lbs allowance for you TAE) for one meet and then could not make 118lbs.  I then wrestled 126lbs and halfway through the season it was then bumped up to 133lbs due to the deaths of three wrestlers.  By the end of the season, I was having trouble making 133lbs.

I grew two inches both up and out between my senior year of high school and my sophomore year in college. 

Point in fact Dan gable wrestled 98 when he was a freshman.  Many great wrestlers start at 103.  It is a weight class that gives young kids a chance to wrestle Varsity and gain experience.  What happens to the kids who don't make the weight minimum????

I don't like the getting rid of 103.  That was a very exciting and talented weight class last year and I know will be in the next few years to come.  I know of a lot of potential 103 coming in next year, some of which will not have to cut to make that and now you are asking them to give up even more weight.  I know my son has only put on 6 pounds in the last 2 years and now you want him to put on 25 in the next 2.  Heck 2 or the 3 kids that wrestle in the weight classes under him at our school are 8th graders this year.

One of the things that is so great about this sport is that you don't have to be a certain body type or size to participate.  The little guys are the ones that are doing wrestling because they aren't big enough to play basketball or football now you are going to tell them that they aren't even big enough to wrestle.

I don't like the getting rid of 103.  That was a very exciting and talented weight class last year and I know will be in the next few years to come.  I know of a lot of potential 103 coming in next year, some of which will not have to cut to make that and now you are asking them to give up even more weight.   I know my son has only put on 6 pounds in the last 2 years and now you want him to put on 25 in the next 2.  Heck 2 or the 3 kids that wrestle in the weight classes under him at our school are 8th graders this year.

One of the things that is so great about this sport is that you don't have to be a certain body type or size to participate.  The little guys are the ones that are doing wrestling because they aren't big enough to play basketball or football now you are going to tell them that they aren't even big enough to wrestle.

Good Point!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.