Final Team Results From Nationals (Fargo)

MattM

Womens Junior Freestyle Nationals 14th of 52 Teams

109 - Sarah Hildenbrandt's place is 4th

139 - Demi Strub's place is 6th

Cadet Greco Nationals 31st of 43 Teams

152 - Sean Mappes's place is 7th

Junior Gerco Nationals  39th of 53 Teams

Cadet Freestyle Nationals 17th of 45 Teams

105 - Mason Todd's place is 7th

112 - Brenden Campbell's place is 8th

130 - Jason Tsirtsis's place is 2nd

Junior Freestyle Nationals 17th of 45 Teams

119 - Camden Eppert's place is 5th

130 - Cashe` Quiroga's place is 1st

145 - Ryan Stahl's place is 8th

A few others were very close to placing.  Also a few wrestlers that did and did not place only had loses to highly touted national talents who placed very high.  Over all not our best results teamwise compared to years pasted but some great individual showings amoung each team.

I agree, this was not a strong showing by Indiana, with the exception of a handful of kids. It was feast (Cashe wining a title, Tsirtsis nearly winning a title, Stahl nearly double AA'ing and nabbing arguably the biggest headhunt of the entire tourney) or famine (very few placers overall, 1 total in Greco). However, I don't think it shows that the state is in a 'down cycle'.  There have been too many good results over the last season and a half to say that we're 'down'.  In addition to some proven studs not making the trip, some other excellent wrestlers just didn't have great performances. We'll bounce back.

I agree, I certain hope and think this year is an anomaly, but you never know with the increasing presence of the Disney Duals and other tournaments during the summer that are popping up everywhere.  Of the 14 AA's from last year that were eligible to return, only 8 did so.  I know the coaches were really struggling to fill the line-up this year and it certainly showed in the performance. 

Hopefully next year we will get around 15 AA's again.

Personally I'm not sure what looked worse, where the state ranked overall in team scores or the singlets they were wearing!!  I think a lot of the problem was that many of the kids there simply shouldn't have been.  Look at the results from state and then look at the Fargo rosters you'll see plenty of names that were well below 3rd place or not even on the list, why were they there?  Fargo is about earning the right to compete not about who's mommy and daddy can afford to write a check, if a wrestler doesn't finish in the top 3 they shouldn't be allowed to go, period.  If that means sending fewer kids then send fewer and stop wasting everybody elses time with junk matches and don't go and talk about "experience" if you can't finish top 3 here you have no business on the mat at Fargo, its actully depressing to watch.  Nebraska took only about 10 kids and overall had a better turnout.

Someone needs to be looking at why our best were not there, I know that for several money was a factor and Indiana is one of the only states I know of that isn't helping kids with these costs.  ISWA certainly seems to be taking in enough money to help with the costs maybe if we only extend the Fargo invitation to those who earn it then we could keep costs lower and implement a "scholarship" system to help offset costs to those who put in the effort and work to win state.  For example, the champion would get a higher cost offset than the runnerup who gets more help than the 3rd.  If our best were at Fargo instead of a lot of those who couldn't place at state or didn't even wrestle at state we would have done substantially better.

No offense to the kids, I understand that if you can go to Fargo most want to but it isn't right for kids who place high to sit at home over affordability when others take their place because their families are able to write the check.  And please who ever came up with the singlet design NEVER try to design another one.  Thank you Cashe for not wearing one in the finals!!

And please who ever came up with the singlet design NEVER try to design another one.  

Yeah I'll be getting of topic with this one but I figure its worth saying.  One issue with singlets may be costs of making them.  One solution to this would be to cut out a little more of the gear they also have you purchase along with the singlet.  If we could get some good graphic designers with wrestling ties to come up with some options and a local wrestling supplies dealer to cut us a deal I'm sure a fancy singlet will not be to much more than some of the simpler ones.  

As far as the design itself lets face it we don't have that many landmarks that are worth putting on a singlet compared to several other states.   Since we have worn out what little options we have maybe we should start going with a little more creative route for a few years.  I know I've seen one type of singlet that was a solid color but then had smaller shadded images throughout the singlet that had diffrent item that represented the state.  That would be interesteing without having the giant ears or corn or race cars stand out so much.  I've always like the GNWA (Georgia National Wrestling Alliance) singlets and t-shirts. Herehttp://www.gnwa.org/news.html  and Here http://gnwa.org/underground/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2462  Seems like looking into designs like the GNWA has, the tatoo style of MMA shirt designs, and other similar designs may make for some interesting singlets.  Not so much a huge dramatic symbol that will stand out but some of the designs could be more like the faded background art that I mentioned before that would go along with a large Indiana wrestling symbol someplace on the singlet.

Before you go off on kids not in the top 3 that are going to Fargo, you must realize that two All-Americans from the past two years haven't placed in the top 3.  Zac McCray was 4th in the state last year and finished 8th and Ryan Stahl was 7th at state this year and 8th at Fargo.  Those are just two examples off the top of my head.  I am sure there are others out there.

The singlets were actually better than in the past, they did not feature corn and/or racecars for the first time in FOREVER!

I do agree that our top kids should have incentives to represent the state.  In Pennsylvania, the state champion gets a free trip to Fargo.  Others including returning All-Americans also receive incentives to participate and that is why they dominate.

We find a way to get one of the events held here and that would help the cost and parent support aspect a decent amount.  Even if its someplace close (southern Mich, Eastern Ill, western OH) and the cost and parent supportshould be somewhat improved.

Why not have fundraisers at all of the summer tournaments?  If you had some kids and parents walking around asking for donations for Fargo I am sure that just about everybody would give a few dollars every weekend for the good of the sport and the needy families.  For the parents that can't afford to send their kid they would have to prove that they can't before they can get help. 

The short time that I have been in this community I find it hard to believe that we couldn't put something together to be able to send a great team to Fargo every year.  In my 48 years I have never met a greater group of people than in the wrestling community.

I am sure that we could all pull together and figure something out to field a great team every year.  This is not a knock to any of the kids and families that went out there......but there are a lot of families out there that do struggle and could use a little help here and there.

Keep up the great work you Coach's and Parents..

Why not have fundraisers at all of the summer tournaments?  

I'm sure they could come out with a set of Indiana wrestling gear that would get some buyers at events.  Again a reference to Georgia and something they have that we could work off of.  http://www.takedownshop.com/youth-gear/apparel  I'm sure selling items like this at events and over the internet wouldn't pay for everything but it would raise some money if they have a new design each year and parents knew the money was going to team trips.

We find a way to get one of the events held here and that would help the cost and parent support aspect a decent amount.  Even if its someplace close (southern Mich, Eastern Ill, western OH) and the cost and parent supportshould be somewhat improved.

The tournament is taking bids for a new host!!!!!

Dingo, I disagree 100% percent Fargo is ot an "open" but a national event that wrestlers are suppossed to qualify for and wanting to go doesn't qualify a kid...I guess we should let everyone who wants to wrestle at high state state wrestle there too?  Returning Fargo to the true qualifiers would increase the competition in the state, clubs and the few local tournaments so that the kids can qualify instead of just asking mommy and daddy to write a check because they "want" to go.  Wrestling is about working hard to achieve success not just "wanting" to be good.

Did anyone notice that Indiana does host schoolboy duals and costs for the kids is still ridiculous, ask a few of the parnets how mucg they paid to attend a tournamant here iy was still ov $600 each and thene $10 per person per day to watch and that is without hotel and food costs since many didn'y live in the Indy area.

It would have been great for my son to go to Fargo that he qualified for.  However, after attending all of the state tournaments, folkstyle nationals, Disney Duals and monthly dues at an elite club there is no money left to go to Fargo (which is by far the most expensive of the trips).  So for us it came down to going to Disney or going to Fargo.  Obviously, Florida is a hell of a lot more fun than Fargo and is a better vacation type environment and will get 10 or so folkstyle matches against quality competition.  Fargo is the premier national event and I wish I could have sent my son, but cost was the overwelming factor.  Hopefully the future will bring the event closer to Indiana and the ISWA can find ways to ease the cost for wrestlers to attend.

The cost of the SB Duals was $350.00. That included a 3 day camp, a share of the enrty fees, ($750 per team) and equipment (jacket, 2 singlets, 2 t-shirts, shorts, back-pack).

Dingo, I disagree 100% percent Fargo is ot an "open" but a national event that wrestlers are suppossed to qualify for and wanting to go doesn't qualify a kid...I guess we should let everyone who wants to wrestle at high state state wrestle there too?  Returning Fargo to the true qualifiers would increase the competition in the state, clubs and the few local tournaments so that the kids can qualify instead of just asking mommy and daddy to write a check because they "want" to go.  Wrestling is about working hard to achieve success not just "wanting" to be good.

Did anyone notice that Indiana does host schoolboy duals and costs for the kids is still ridiculous, ask a few of the parnets how mucg they paid to attend a tournamant here iy was still ov $600 each and thene $10 per person per day to watch and that is without hotel and food costs since many didn'y live in the Indy area.

Well, we're all entitled to our opinions, but as Y2 mentioned, we would have even fewer AAs if we had excluded kids who didn't place or place high at FS state and Greco state.

I'm going to have to disagree with the notion that there isn't a high level of competition at Fargo currently. It's still at a high level with some 'lesser' wrestlers being allowed to participate. The talent level is pretty staggering, actually.

Comparing the State Finals with Fargo is dubious, IMO; technically, pretty much ALL Indiana wrestlers participate in the state series. However, just like the finals and placement matches at Fargo, only the cream of the crop rise to the highest positions.

I get the part of your point that says we should try to do more to send our best wrestlers to events like Fargo--that part makes sense. Blaming their absence on 'lesser' wrestlers doesn't seem to make all that much sense. What or who does it hurt to allow these kids to go??

I would also take issue with the idea that many of these kids haven't been as successful as they would like because they don't work hard. Talent most definitely plays a role in that equation.

Have any of you (other than InfoLady) ever been part of the ISWA budget meeting where we set the overall budget and each individual trip's budget/cost?

Check the ISWA's budget that is in the Annual Report that every club gets.  The ISWA gives $40,000 in athlete assistance that goes to help all ISWA trips.

The largest expense for Fargo is transportation.  Have more wrestlers spreads that cost thinner for each individual.  Having FEWER wrestlers makes it MORE EXPENSIVE.

Pennsylvania does give a scaled "scholarship" where their state champs go for free.  The IHSAA does not allow us to do this, though.  We cannot give assistance based on performance.  PA's high school organization allows it.  The ISWA used to give a discount to Triple Crown winners, but the IHSAA has said that we can't do that anymore.  Our hands are tied.  Our only chance is to try to reduce expenses in some way.  (Fancier singlets doesn't help with that).  

On that note, Team Indiana's singlets were among the most popular to wrestlers from other states.  I liked it's simple design, and I told the coach who did the design that I and the kids like it.  Don't bash something as trivial as a singlet design that you only saw on a small, fuzzy video on youtube.

Have any of you (other than InfoLady) ever been part of the ISWA budget meeting where we set the overall budget and each individual trip's budget/cost?

Check the ISWA's budget that is in the Annual Report that every club gets.  The ISWA gives $40,000 in athlete assistance that goes to help all trips.

The largest expense for Fargo is transportation.  Have more wrestlers spreads that cost thinner for each individual.  Having FEWER wrestlers makes it MORE EXPENSIVE.

Pennsylvania does give a scaled "scholarship" where their state champs go for free.  The IHSAA does not allow us to do this, though.  We cannot give assistance based on performance.  PA's high school organization allows it.  The ISWA used to give a discount to Triple Crown winners, but the IHSAA has said that we can't do that anymore.  Our hands are tied.  Our only chance is to try to reduce expenses in some way.  (Fancier singlets doesn't help with that).  

On that note, Team Indiana's singlets were among the most popular to wrestlers from other states.  I liked it's simple design, and I told the coach who did the design that I and the kids like it.  Don't bash something as trivial as a singlet design that you only saw on a small, fuzzy video on youtube.

Well put Jake!  I don't have the exact figures but from what I remember from the budget meeting - out of that $40,000 athlete assistance around $270 to each kid that goes to Fargo, around $130 to each kid going to cadet or jr duals, and around $100 goes to each kid attending Schoolboy Duals.  This $40,000 is an increase from around $30,000 the year before.  The budget is set each August, then it is presented and voted on by ALL ISWA Clubs at the Annual Meeting.  The Annual Meeting this year is September 13th, if you have a question about why things are done a certain way that is the meeting you should attend.  As far as the Singlet Design - many of kids like the design - I even had kids from Florida and Wisconsin ask if they could buy one.  

Does that mean the ISWA could help pay or offset some of the expenses at the Disney Duals as well?

Being the Folkstyle Director for the ISWA I have looked into a Team Indiana trip to the Disney Duals - It wouldnt workout to well because of the rules state that 6 wrestlers must be from the same high school.  We are open minded for trips.  We are also looking into a trip to Folkstyle National in Virginia Beach.  I am open to any imput on trips.  I can be reached at chris@proindustries.com  or personal message here.  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.