Tsirtsis in the finals

Y2CJ41

FARGO, N.D. ? Three days of Cadet Nationals freestyle competition have been boiled down to three wrestlers with a chance to make history.

Michigan?s Taylor Massa (152) will wrestle for his second straight Cadet Triple Crown on Friday afternoon at the FargoDome. Wisconsin?s Devin Peterson (171) and Minnesota?s Jake Waste (160) will also try to win Triple Crowns.

The Cadet freestyle finals are set for 1 p.m.

Massa is trying to become the first wrestler to win back-to-back Triple Crowns in Cadets. Only five wrestlers have ever captured a USA Wrestling Triple Crown in Cadets

Massa will meet Washington?s Jordan Rogers in the finals. Waste will battle Sam Brooks of Illinois for the title and Peterson will face Lucas Sheridan of California.

One other wrestler who was in line to win a Triple Crown ? Oliver Pierce of Texas (135) ? will wrestle for third on Friday afternoon.

The Triple Crown consists of winning titles in the Folkstyle, Greco-Roman and freestyle divisions.

2008 Cadet Nationals double champions Nick Roberts of Pennsylvania (98) and Mark Grey of New Jersey (112) are one win away from repeating as double Cadet champions

Grey will face Michigan?s Ben Whitford for the title while Roberts will meet Ohio?s Jered Cortez in the finals. Grey beat Whitford in the Cadet Greco finals.

Wisconsin?s Alex Dieringer will try to become a 2009 double champion in Cadets. Dieringer reached the freestyle finals at 135 after winning a Cadet Greco title earlier in the week at 130.

Tyler Fraley of New Jersey, a Junior Nationals champion in freestyle in 2008, won a Cadet Nationals Greco-Roman title at 105 and has advanced to the Cadet freestyle finals.

Indiana?s Jason Tsirtsis (130) has a chance to become a double Juniors champion after reaching the freestyle finals. Tsirtsis, younger brother of past Iowa All-American Alex Tsirtsis, won a Cadet Folkstyle Nationals title earlier this year.

Pennsylvania?s Zachary Horan (125) will try to repeat as Cadet freestyle champion.

CADET NATIONALS FREESTYLE FINALS MATCHUPS

84 Pounds

Billy Rappo (Pennsylvania) vs. Darshawn Sharpe (Georgia)

91 Pounds

Phillip Laux (Iowa) vs. Brad Perkins (Missouri)

98 Pounds

Nick Roberts (Pennsylvania) vs. Jered Cortez (Ohio)

105 Pounds

Tyler Fraley (New Jersey) vs. Joey Dance (Virginia)

112 Pounds

Mark Grey (New Jersey) vs. Ben Whitford (Michigan)

119 Pounds

Kagan Squire (Ohio) vs. Brandon Sorensen (Iowa)

125 Pounds

Zachary Horan (Pennsylvania) vs. Terrel Wilbourn (Missouri)

130 Pounds

Edwin Cooper (Illinois) vs. Jason Tsirtsis (Indiana)

135 Pounds

Alex Dieringer (Wisconsin) vs. Steve Spearman (Pennsylvania)

140 Pounds

Jordan Wohlfert (Michigan) vs. Brian Brill (Pennsylvania)

145 Pounds

Dominic Prezzia (Ohio) vs. Justin Koethe (Iowa)

152 Pounds

Taylor Massa (Michigan) vs. Jordan Rogers (Washington)

160 Pounds

Jake Waste (Minnesota) vs. Sam Brooks (Illinois)

171 Pounds

Devin Peterson (Wisconsin) vs. Lucas Sheridan (California)

189 Pounds

Austin Marsden (Illinois) vs. Curtis Berger (Oregon)

215 Pounds

Nick Tavanello (Ohio) vs. Gage Harrah (Illinois)

285 Pounds

Donny Longendyke (Minnesota) vs. Greg Kuhar (Ohio)

Solid tournament.  Cooper was tough.  I don't know how he made 112 during the year.  Tsirtsis fought hard not to get pinned in the first.  I thought he won the second period, but Cooper stepped over an put Jason on his back.  Good match.  I hope his knee is not hurt badly.  I though I heard the announcer say it popped

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.