Disney Duals Information

MattM

The Disney Duals start this week with many Indiana Teams represented this year.  Teams listed before the offical registartion and weigh-in.

Community Division 1 (36 teams thus far)

Bloomington South

Columbus East

Falcon Blue (Perry Meridian)

Hamilton South Eastern

McCutcheon

Penn X-treme Gold

Community Division 2 (27 teams thus far)

Center Grove

Huskies (Hamilton Heights)

Penn X-treme White

Penn X-treme Black

Greenwood Gold

West Noble

Westfield

Yorktown

Distric/All-Star Division (38 teams thus far)

Hoosier Elite (based out of Bloomington)

JV Division (3 teams thus far)

Falcon Silver (Perry Meridian)

In 2008 Indiana teams did fairly well at the event.  In Community Division 1 with 26 teams Perry Falcon Blue (6th), Penn X-treme Gold (13th), Avon (18th) and Columbus East (33rd).  Community Division 2 with 17 teams Yorktown (1st), Hamilton Heights (8th) and Evansville Memorial (11th).  Kyle Mosier from Yorktown named Outstanding Wrestler.  Distric/All-Star division 37 teams Hoosier Elite (27th).  No JV Division in 2008.  Sorry if I left out any teams from 2008.

I believe wrestling starts tomorrow for Community Divisions and Tuesday from Distric/All-Star and JV Divisons.  Wrestling should get 8+ matches against a variety of opponents.  Not sure what they will do with the JV Division because of lack of registred teams (only 3) thus far.  They may have them wrestle teams that lose matches in Community 2.  You can follow the results starting tomorrow from here http://www.aauresults.org/wrestling/re_wrestling.php

How the heck did Penn get in the smaller community division?

I actually though it represented the level of competition you would face.  i.e. you could sign up for the  medium level community 2 or the more top level community 1.  Never put thought into it being big or small as far as school size.

From the Disney registration "Division 2 will be determined from the lowest 50% enrollments of the teams entered in the COMMUNITY division."  Must be a lot of very large school teams in Division 1. :)  My guess would be that since they split into three teams (Penns top team is in Division 1) the organizaiton allowed them to be in division 2 over division 1 or the very sparce JV division.  Wouldn't be suprised if the rest of the JV division is moved up if no one else signs up. 

We were looking into going this year, so I know its based on enrollment in some manner.  Here is what the entry packet states.

Community Division 2. Division 2 will be determined from the lowest 50% enrollments of the teams entered in the COMMUNITY division. If a team wishes to compete in division 1 and not be considered for division 2 then they must indicate so on the online registration form. No more than three (3) wrestlers may come from other schools that make up this team and all must reside in the same AAU District. Any Community Team not meeting these criteria will be moved into the District Division. A copy of a most recent REPORT CARD (3rd or 4th quarter) for each athlete must be provided to determine proof of eligibility. If a 7th or 8th grader is to be used in competition the Principal or Athletic Director must also indicate on the stationery that their state allows those younger grades to compete at the High School varsity level. If you have several athletes from the same school, you may use one sheet of paper for all of them.

Official Schedules are up for the week.  Looks like the teams stayed where they were.  Not sure what the reasoning is unless you can talk with the organizers about the strenght/talent of your team as a way of moving to a different division.  Unless I missed them one or two are not listed on the schedule.

When you register your team you put down what division you want to wrestle in. You also have to put your enrollment down. I am puzzled as to how Center Grove (one of the bigger schools in the state) is in the small division. I understand Penn putting their "Varsity" team in community I and putting there 2 jv teams in the community II. I think that the organizers are part to blame for letting that happen. Oh well it is what it is.

Robby Morgan

West Noble Wrestling

Columbus East Monday 6/22 Disney Schedule:

8:00 AM vs Ohio Storm

10:00 AM vs Beavercreek, Ohio

12:00 PM vs Wadsworth, Mass

2:00 PM vs Olentangy Liberty, Ohio

6:00 PM vs Forsythe, GA

Hamilton South Eastern and Manatee, FL are also in the same pool and will wrestle those teams on Tuesday.

This is probably the same reason some community teams are actually more like District/All-Star teams.  It either the organization oversite when looking at the information or the organization relaxed rules when it comes to what they actually will let teams do.  Could be they figure teams enter honestly and don't look close at information.  Or maybe they let figure team will enter a divsion they will be competative at.  Thus teams that feel like they are better will jump to Community 1 or even Distric/All-Star and team that feel they have to many holes may drop to Community 2 to compete.  I guess we would need to talk to the organizers to see what they actually do for this thing.

Isn't Center Grove one of the biggest schools in the state?  How did they get in the small school division?  Both Greenwood and Westfield are 4A football schools, so how are they in the small school division?

AAU officials were given the correct information on Center Grove's enrollment.  It was their choice to place Center Grove in Division 2.  You would have to ask them what their reasoning is.  We assumed it was because we were a first year team and lacking experience at the national level.  We also felt that they were trying to balance the teams between Division 1 and Division 2 since there weren't as many this year as in year's past. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.