Welcome home Danny Williams

It is a lock Danny is returning to Warren Central!!Him and his father Mr. Williams are sure to build the program back up to were it was a few years ago. Starting with the El. on up.

Danny is one of the reasons my son fell in love with the sport and I thank him for that after winning his first title and watching him put in the work after a serious injury battling back to win number Two it will not be forgotten. Thanks for the memories now we get to battle them the next 3 years should be exciting.  Good Luck to the Williams Family  and the Warren program.

isnt Danny Williams the guy who was a state champ his junior year then for his senior year he was hurt and got 4th at semi state, then went on to win state?

Yes, that was him.  He wrestled the championship match on Friday night against the Lake Central kid(I think his name was Mora).

isnt Danny Williams the guy who was a state champ his junior year then for his senior year he was hurt and got 4th at semi state, then went on to win state?

Yes, that was him.  He wrestled the championship match on Friday night against the Lake Central kid(I think his name was Mora).

After his junior year he hurt his knee pretty bad I remember in the practice room him putting in the work he needed to ,to pull it off his senior year he has a lot of heart and knowledge, his wrestlers will benefit greatly.I have a feeling Mike Jones Warrens 189lber is going to be alot better technique wise next year with Danny's presence.

Yes, that was him.  He wrestled the championship match on Friday night against the Lake Central kid(I think his name was Mora).

Interesting fact...I thought championship matches were wrestled on Saturday nights...

Interesting fact...I thought championship matches were wrestled on Saturday nights...

Thats what happens when you get a returning champ that breaks his ankle in december and ends up just wrestling enough to advance through the tourney. He was 4th cmming out of semi-state and wound up in a draw against a #1 on friday night. It is a bit unfair, but it is the way the system works.

Yes, that was him.  He wrestled the championship match on Friday night against the Lake Central kid(I think his name was Mora).

Not when champs default to 4th place at SS because of injury or illness.  Anyone who witnessed this sudden victory match knows exaclty what I am talking about.  We also saw O'Brien vs. Bauhman(portage), which in reality was the 215# championship match.  

You people worry about second place way to much its a tournament not a rankings system. The only reason any of us our there is to find out who the BEST in each weight class is. There is nothing unfair about how a tournament works.

You people worry about second place way to much its a tournament not a rankings system. The only reason any of us our there is to find out who the BEST in each weight class is. There is nothing unfair about how a tournament works.

Give Mora a choice between being under the lights in a double ot match against Williams and what he got and see what he says.

Wow!  You consider losing on Friday night, and losing on Saturday night to be equal?  Amazing!  It's great to be the champ, attitudes like  "if you're not first, you're last"  are terrible for wrestling. 

Wow!  You consider losing on Friday night, and losing on Saturday night to be equal?  Amazing!  It's great to be the champ, attitudes like  "if you're not first, you're last"  are terrible for wrestling.   

I have to agree with you on the point about the attitudes in wrestling. There have been many tournaments that I have taken my son to that I knew he was not going to win. The effort was put on wrestling well, and seeing where you stack up against some tough kids. When he 1st got started, going 2-2 at local events was a huge success. As the years went on he and I would have been upset with not being in the last match of the day. It does not diminish thew kids that go 2-2, but is a reflection of where you are. We all need to make sure that we set, and help them set realistic goals. For some that will be winning it all for others it will be making it out of the 1st 2 rounds with a win.

Warrendad,

I had to give you a "wahoo"  for understanding the big picture.  This sport is about helping kids compete to the best of their abilities, and set goals based on what they are capable of.  For some kids, that goal is to be a state champ.  For some kids, their greatest accomplishments are to be able to step on the mat and not give up 6 for their team. 

it's not just that fact that he didn't get second, he didn't even get to place at all because of one match against a state champ that could have went either way. he went frompotential state champ to not even placing because of one match. that's what's not fair.

Last time I checked we were talking about the state tournament not some usa wrestling event during the summer. All the guys who make it to state are not looking to go 2-2 and considered that to be a win. If your at state your good enough to win it and that should be your goal. The big picture is not state this is where we all come to find out who is the best of the best with no if, ands, or buts allowed.

Last time I checked we were talking about the state tournament not some usa wrestling event during the summer. All the guys who make it to state are not looking to go 2-2 and considered that to be a win. If your at state your good enough to win it and that should be your goal. The big picture is not state this is where we all come to find out who is the best of the best with no if, ands, or buts allowed.

We find out more who is wrestling their best that weekend, than we find out who is the best, often.

We find out more who is wrestling their best that weekend, than we find out who is the best, often.

No not really if your the best you will prove it. What happens is that too many people have predictions and when they don't come true they say things like that. Actions speak louder than words and the state tournament is only held one weekend every year so stop making excuses.

No not really if your the best you will prove it. What happens is that too many people have predictions and when they don't come true they say things like that. Actions speak louder than words and the state tournament is only held one weekend every year so stop making excuses.

What about the guy who wins state, and the guy that beat his at sectionals, regionals, and semi-state get's upset?  Is that guy "better" than the guy who was 3-0 against him that season?

What about the guy who wins state, and the guy that beat his at sectionals, regionals, and semi-state get's upset?  Is that guy "better" than the guy who was 3-0 against him that season?

Yes because the goal is not to be a sectional, regional or semi-state champion but a State Champion. I understand what your saying but your not taking into account what it means to be clutch and coming through when all the pressure is on.

I've always thought it was a small constellation prize anyway to say you beat the State champion because there is only one response after saying that.."Why weren't you State Champion then?"

Yes because the goal is not to be a sectional, regional or semi-state champion but a State Champion. I understand what your saying but your not taking into account what it means to be clutch and coming through when all the pressure is on.

I've always thought it was a small constellation prize anyway to say you beat the State champion because there is only one response after saying that.."Why weren't you State Champion then?"

At one time, you had to be a champion on each level to move on to the next.  In those days, Jason Woodson would have been eliminated at Regionals by Randy Baker.  He wouldn't have had the opportunity to lose to him at SS, for the 3rd time that season.  He definitely wouldn't have had the opportunity to have someone else beat Baker for him at State. 

I will agree with you on one of your points.    If you can only claim an in-season or early season victory against the guy who ends up winning it all, then you don't have much of a claim to think you are better than him.  The best wrestlers peak in the post season.  However, if you beat him during the state tournament, your argument at least puts you in the discussion.

That's a pretty large prize for beating a high school state champ.  I beat the state champ once, I'd prefer to have Orion.

At one time, you had to be a champion on each level to move on to the next.

Last time I checked we do things differently now and I don't see us going back to that way anytime soon. And Woodson did what he needed to do to be a state champion and should of been a two time champ had two shoulders counted for a pin no matter how many points you are down.

Last time I checked we do things differently now and I don't see us going back to that way anytime soon. And Woodson did what he needed to do to be a state champion and should of been a two time champ had two shoulders counted for a pin no matter how many points you are down.

True, we no longer do things that way, and probably won't go back to it anytime soon.  But for all those people  who believe the state tournament is only about crowning a "true state champion", why wouldn't we make you be a champion on each level? 

On Woodson getting "robbed"  his Junior year.......it wasn't the first time it's happened to the underdog, and it won't be the last time.  I didn't witness it, but I hear that it happened under the lights this year as well to another middleweight. 

If the kid Woodson was wrestling wasn't from Mater Dei noone would think he was pinned.  Weinzapfel wasn't stuck.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.