What this board needs...

Trinedad

Just looking through the discussions, and I realized that this board is missing something. We dont have enough topics that touch on class wrestling.

I dont have a vote with in the coaches assoc. But it is clear to anyone that reads this board that one topic that they ought to conduct some serious research on is class wrestling. I think that all the candidates for the open position ought to realize that this is a hot button topic and needs some attention.

To say that it deserves some attention is an understatement. Looking at this board, it seems that we have close to 10 topics that somewhere along the line deal with class wrestling. And that is just one the 1st page.

Just for the record,

I am for class wrestling. I think it would be great for the growth of our sport.  

However, just because there are people who think we need it, doesn't mean we should take it to the IHSAA as an association yet.  The topic has been polled several times among IHSWCA members and just like on the discussion board, there are vehement supporters on both sides of the issue.  As I remember it, the polls have historically been around 50/50, with a slight edge going one way or the other from time to time.  (Perhaps it IS time to discuss it / poll it again amongst coaches?).  The IHSAA has repeatedly told our representatives that they want to see overwhelming support from the coaches (like 85-90%) for a proposal before they will consider it.  So, even if we get 60%, 65%, or even 70% of coaches in favor of class wrestling, the IHSAA will shoot it down because we don't have all of the coaches on board.  Furthermore, the IHSAA has set the precedent that they don't want to talk about taking the "individual" sports to classes.  Even if 95% of wrestling coaches were in favor of it, the IHSAA would not change JUST wrestling to classes.  To them, it's all or nothing, meaning that they would also change track, tennis, swimming, gymnastics, etc.  In order to really get the IHSAA's attention, there would probably have to be a coalition of coaches' associations from the "indidvidual" sports show support for classes in their sports and promote the idea together.  I'm not saying that this can never be attained, but it's not as simple as just deciding that we as wrestling coaches want class wrestling so it's going to happen.  That is why, wrestlebacks, for instance, have been proposed several times (in different forms) by the IHSWCA. Most coaches agree that this would improve our sport and our state tournament.  Even WITH overwhelming support of high school coaches, the IHSAA has repeatedly shot us down (why, I don't really know, other than the fact that they don't like change!).  

Class wrestling may one day come to Indiana, but if and when it does, it will happen in stages: 1) a large majority of coaches in Indiana need to be convinced that there is a need for class wrestling  (judging from the discussions that I have read, we are a long way from this right now).  2) once wrestling is solidly in favor of classes, we would need to get to work with other coaches' associations of tennis, golf, swimming, track, etc. and try to convince them to support classes for their sports as well.  3).  Finally, if 1 & 2 are achieved, the IHSAA  MAY listen to a proposal, but I would still be sceptical of it passing until the powers that be were convinced that it is THEIR idea.  

I know this may sound like a defeatist attitude, but my point is that it is pretty clear from the historical stance of the IHSAA that proposing class wrestling right now would be something akin to "peeing in the wind" for lack of a better description.  Therefore, the IHSWCA has been focusing on changing / improving the system that we DO have to work with.  I agree, though, that class wrestling is a hot topic and this discussion board is a great place to debate the virtues / vices of classes and to begin convincing those non - believers that it would be good for our sport.  

Chris Ervin

Crawfordsville High School

Head Wrestling Coach

What this boards needs is a new chat option.  I dare the class and non class supports to talk in real time.  I think they are genuinely either scared or unable to find consensus.

It will result in trolls trolling trolls, more or less, but that is what it is now anyways.  Might as well eliminate  the middle man and tell us HOW YOU REALLY FEEL.

The Metcalf freakout just didn't have any legs on this site.

Ok, I stand corrected, 10 topics on class wrestling, and 5 topics on the Metcalf meltdown.

Not a whole lot to talk about these days / Don't look like alot of seniors are going to da senior nationals/ things will pick up around Fargo time. I was gone for a whole week - had some mitty fine weather down in Clearwater Beach. Had oppertunity to go to da original Hooters. Dare wings are a whole lot better lookin down dare dan in Merryville.  Had to use SPF 50 on da ole tale after a day. Got a little red down dare !!!

The Metcalf freakout just didn't have any legs on this site.

Ok, I stand corrected, 10 topics on class wrestling, and 5 topics on the Metcalf meltdown.

Not a whole lot to talk about these days / Don't look like alot of seniors are going to da senior nationals/ things will pick up around Fargo time. I was gone for a whole week - had some mitty fine weather down in Clearwater Beach. Had oppertunity to go to da original Hooters. Dare wings are a whole lot better lookin down dare dan in Merryville.  Had to use SPF 50 on da ole tale after a day. Got a little red down dare !!!

Well, maybe talking about class wrestling aint so bad after all. I mean if the choice is class wrestling, or the sun burn da rat gets on his behind, I think I willl have to go with class wrestling........ ;D

midget5589,

FYI: LittleGiant91 refers to the fact that I graduated from Wabash College (mascot = Little Giants) in 1991.  Yes, the mascot name is oxymoronic, but there actually is a story behind it. I won't bore you with that right now, though.

Chris Ervin

didnt mean to be insulting(if u took it that way) but we need someone named jumboshrimp or healthysoda

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.