Why not to class the team side of wrestling

manvswild1

It  is apparent that the people pushing for the team side of things are also pushing for the individual class system.  They already use the excuse that all other states have done it for the team side and that won't stop once they get team they will be striving for individual.  We should fight this now before it is too late.  If classing team does lead to classing individual state think about its ramifications.  Both classed individual and team state will have less competition.  The competition at individual state espescially in the smaller class will be downgraded there will only be one forth of the quality wrestlers in this division.  Who does this hurt?  It hurts the small school college wrestlers by not allowing for them to wrestle as many competitive matches.  Many times these smaller schools do not have the schedules to challange there wrestlers already so it is scary to think what the down grading of talent at the state tournement will do for the elete wrestlers.  If recruiting is an issue now it may turn into an epedemic.  if my son had the talent to possible wrestle at the college level there is no way I would send him to a place that would not challange him. 

Lets stop this before its passed.  It hurts good wrestlers in both divisions and doesn't allow add competition to wrestlers.  So it's my opinion that classing the team section is not worth classing the individual side of things.

But what if we could class the team system and not have classed individuals, I think if you polled most of the people in wrestling and on the site you would find out that most people are for classd team but not individual.  It makes sence.  The team tournament is dependent on 14 people, the individual just one.  Classing the individual does not make sense to me, while classing the team makes perfect sence because team success does depend on numbers, and a school with 2000 students will surely have a better chance at having a good team than one with 500.  With that being said obviously a school with more kids will have a better chance of producing better wrestlers, but that does not make the tournament unfair.  Bigger schools should have more wrestlers at state, they have more people , but that does not make it unfair, it is fair that is statistically speaking how it should work out.  With all of this being said I do not understand how people cannot understand the difference between the fact that team success takes numbers and individual is one person, so thus team needs class, individual does not.

I would not object to a single class individual state tournament and a 2 class team state tournament.  Logistically, it could be a scheduling nightmare since the results of individual Sectional would not select the entries into team regional anymore. 

How many states class the team side and not the individual?  Are there any?  If you get this liberal class wrestling ball rolling it will not stop at just classing teams they want individual also.  I am sorry but I would rather shoot down the  first one so we never got the second.  Classing teams will lead to individual state being classed and thats a fact look at all of the other states and see.  So to prevent classing the individual tournement we can not let the classing of teams take place.  That should make sense to everyone I hope. 

What about New Jersey, they have classed team duals and a one class individual tournament.  That seems like what many in Indiana want so why couldn't we do that?

From what I've read, the IHSAA is unwilling to class the team portion while leaving the individual alone.  It's all or nothing apparently.  Oh the IHSAA and it's stubborn ways.

Do any of the vp nominees have anything to offer up on the board.  What are their views on the question of class wrestling if it is all or nothing.  I want to make sure the voters know how they feel on the issue in all circumstances.  This would be a great time to step up and let your opinions known so we here at the site can offer support to the guy who is about helping the state without hurting the individual.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.