metcalfs reaction to losing

g-townBandit

You two are knuckleheads.  These two are world class atheletes.  There should be a touch of mutual respect that would say wrestle the match then celebrate.  That being said, kudos to showing some emotion.  Just wait three seconds or expect to be thrown out of bounds.  He looked like a coward running away.  Terrific match but rediculous ending.  Looked like a five your old playing tag out there.  Bad for the sport.

Like the respect that Metcalf showed for Lance Palmer in his post match interview after the semis.  He said, "He was content to lose by 3 points."  I am sure that Palmer was not content to lose and consider that very disrespectful to him.

Well I would agree with that a touch mr hingus.  If a matre Dei wrestler did a flip and someone pushed him it may be considered unsportsman from the matre dei fellow.  The other way arround it would still be his fault.  Truth of the matter is most people on here haven't followed college wrestling for very long and big names haven't got the exposer of area teams so I think people are pretty unbiased on this matter.

AJ...I need to say I think your dead wrong on this one. I rarely see wrestlers run around doing cartwheels and back flips before time runs out. Especially on the NCAA main stage. What a bunch of B.S. I admit that Metcalf got his butt handed to him and the "injury" time out surely helped Caldwell's cause, still, the guy showed little class for a champion.

If Caldwell would have beat anyone else maybe I would understand this crying over it, but he beat a man who was an 11-1 favorite and nearly eveyone's lock to win it all.  Not only that, but Metcalf has made a history of taking people's hearts away from them and basically "embarrassing" them on the mat in front of everyone.  If Metcalf had been up his style/celebration would have not been a backflip, but instead he would have laid on top of his opponent and grinded his elbow in the back of their head just to let them know what they have been through. (See big 10 finals against schlatter and many other matches from last year) Metcalf got what he deserved and I dont feel sorry for him one bit.

You two are knuckleheads.  These two are world class atheletes.  There should be a touch of mutual respect that would say wrestle the match then celebrate.  That being said, kudos to showing some emotion.  Just wait three seconds or expect to be thrown out of bounds.  He looked like a coward running away.  Terrific match but rediculous ending.  Looked like a five your old playing tag out there.  Bad for the sport.

I certainly have never seen Metcalf show respect for his opponents and cannot blame someone for showing some arrogance when they get the chance against Brent the unbeatable.

so what is a respectable time left on the clock to charge someone who is celebrating during the match.  would 10 seconds have been too long?  What about a minute?  3 seconds is a long time and he was running for like 8 so no blame goes out here.  Honestly it looked foolish.

Looked like a five your old playing tag out there.

So what?  He was up effectively 11-6 with 5 seconds left.  Am I risking anything at all at that point?  People run around the mat every year to ice a win.  If you are up by two with 5 seconds left without having a stalling call, are your standing toe to toe?  Probably not...  I would have iced the victory too.  At worst he gets a avoiding wrestling call.  Had Metcalf not pushed him like a complete scumbag is this an issue?

I'm sick of all of the Metcalf fan boys.  He has always been a jerk, which is fine on the mat but throwing guys heads into the mat 3 feet out of bounds like I've seen him do is not acceptable, but NOBODY talks about that.  Everyone worships the ground he walks on.  Get over it.  Yes hes a phenomenal athlete and has the potential to win several Olympic Golds, but admit when he is in the wrong. 

so what is a respectable time left on the clock to charge someone who is celebrating during the match.  would 10 seconds have been too long?  What about a minute?  3 seconds is a long time and he was running for like 8 so no blame goes out here.  Honestly it looked foolish.

no way the man was 3 seconds from a ncaa championship so he ran away then started celebrating after time has expired and he ran upto him and shoved him...he just beat one of the best wrestlers ever in the ncaa i woulda done tha same no doubt about it everyone has there celebrations 

Jeesh GrecoISU...you don't get it. It's not about being a Metcalf lover or hater. It's about Caldwell, great wrestler that he is, make himself look like a complete A$$ on the biggest stage in college wrestling. It's about wrestling all 7 minutes and the personal integrity to man up when the time counts rather than taking a fake blow because he's gassed. It's about wrestling until the ref blows the whistle, at least that's what I've heard most coaches say. All the great things he did in that match through periods one and two, and he did what nobody thought could be done, for me anyway, are forgotten for the cowardess and lack of class he showed in the end. Caldwell is one of the best this country has to offer. I think he could have won that match with out faking the injury. He had Metcalf's number. If I remember, he even took Metcalf down after his little break and let's not forget that Metcalf had time to rest and compose himself as well. I think he is one of the most exciting wrestlers in college to watch, as slick and smooth as Angel in a much bigger body. You never know how he is going to come at you. Still, well enough said. As a Hoosier fan, I'm certainly not a Metcalf lover. I respect how he wrestles with intensity for all seven minutes. 

The man showed a competitive spirit that I wish more wrestlers had.  He did not quit and let the guy celebrate with time left on the clock.  If your going to run away your going to pay the price its rediculous to me to think anything else had occured.  Do back flips on your own time the match was still going on.  If it happend again tommarro and the same result occured i would stand up and give some loud claps because what I witnessed was one man not use proper sportsmanship and the other man stood up for himself.  If a guy makes a mockery of another man with time on the clock he got everything he deserved.  Dominate a match with a lil respect or get it handed to you either way the result justified the means.

Had he done what he did without the flips and raised his arms in triumph instead, is this an issue?  NO!  Get over it, Metcalf acted like a three year old who didn't want to share and blew his top!  If you look he even takes an extra step toward him as he shoves Caldwell.  If he is as experienced as everyone is saying, he has a clock inside his head knowing how much time is left, not to mention the whistle that blew.

Some of you Metcalf apologists are just silly and I hope you arent coaching anybodies kids.  Watch the freakin match, Metcalf had completely stopped wrestling.  When he saw Caldwell starting his well deserved celebration is when he decided he need to chase after his opponent.  Now I am not saying trying to get in Metcalf's head and say what he was thinking, but by the time he got to Caldwell the match was over and there was nothing he could do to affect the outcome.  The refs knew nothing good could come from Metcalf approaching Caldwell, that is why they blew their whistles numerous times and tried to step in front of him.

I keep thinking the more I read your responses the less credible anything you say becomes.

It is blatantly obvious what happened and that Metcalf acted like a child, whether he wants to admit it or not.  Yes Caldwell may have ran away at end but I'd have done the same.  He iced his NCAA CHAMPIONSHIP. 

Both guys could have been more composed. In my opinion, Metcalf came away looking worse. Not only did Caldwell wipe the mat with him but he acted like a sore loser after  he lost.  There is no real reason to debate this though because neither wrestler conducted themselves like they should have. If you think they did then you're drinking either the Metcalf Kool Aid or the Caldwell Kool Aid. If I were a coach, I would show this to my team and point out to them that this is not how you win or lose.

Personally, I'd rather discuss why Metcalf dominated almost everyone he wrestled this year but came out flat against Caldwell. Nerves? Caldwell's style of wrestling? Bad match? All of the above? Any thoughts or opinions out there??????

it looked like Dc was too athletic for BM, at least that match. he came out on top of the scrambles, he took BM down twice in the first. BM could not finish when he did get in, in fact DC got the takedown. i dont think it was all game planning. DC just looked to quick and agile imo.