Today at state

wwatson

Today at state there was a pee-wee match and some how there was some confusion on what period they were in. The score was all tied up after two periods and the ref was thinking it was overtime. The coach went to the table to explain that it was the third period. The ref setting on the floor stated that anyone who would argue over a pee-wee match should be kicked out, because the kids are out there to have fun.  This was not over a bad call  or points, just simple making sure they wrestled all three periods.

If you are a coach when do you say something and at what level is it OK to say something?

Does it start at Bantam, Intermediate,  Novice or ever?

You can say something at any level, as long as it is done correctly. The problem is at these folkstyle tourneys, most coaches, (Dads and club coaches) don't know the proper way to do it. If I have an aggressive coach at the younger levels, I will not give him much time. Not being there, I don't know how that coach had approached the table, had acted throughout the day, or how he had treated that particular official during the course of the day. Treat officials with respect and they will do the same.

R. Hayes

Official

The problem that I have ran into is the official just wont explain his view or reasoning for a certain call.  At the end of the day or match or call it is the officials view point that is final.  My only problem is when I ask or question a call many dont take the time to explain or give understanding.  An I always try to approach in a manner not to say you made the wrong call but how and why did you make that call.  At folkstyle state my son was on the the bad end of a couple calls neither would have changed the end result.  At the end of the day their are many parents whom coach their children and alot of times would just like to understand the call.  For the money and time spent on our children in this sport it would be nice if Refs especially at kids state should if at all possible take the time to educate....and expalin if needed their vantage point for a call. 

Good numbers for Mater Dei, It is good to see the numbers that they brought for kids state . I think that is the most I have seen from there club in a while, competeing at those age groups does anyone know the numbers they brought and will they be bringing alot to SB-j this weekend.  Great job.

How did Ben Stewart do or is he a SB this year (This young man is going to be a great one he should be a Falcon in a few years)

Ben is a novice but  is out with a broken arm happened out at Liberty I believe

He dislocated his elbow in the semi-final match at Liberty Nationals and is in a cast for a few weeks.  He was pretty bummed about missing out this past weekend.  His little brother Dylan brought home a state title in his honor though :) 

I have to say from where I sat in the corner the refs did a pretty good job.  I think they missed a few pins but they let the kids wrestle.

I am pretty laid back as a coach/dad and only questioned one call that on what looked like an escape with a point and the subsequent take down.  We were in control and would have gotten the TD but the ref though my wrestler had control. 

I asked him about the call in a very adult manner and he responded in a like manner.  The call either way would not have affected the outcome but it was nice to see him react in kind as this is not always the case.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.