H.S Recruiting

I agree school comes first in my house that is the only reason he does wrestle and goes to all the national tournaments is because he gets good grades. And I could of easily stayed at a home I own in IPS area and send my son to Roncalli and my 2 daughters to a charter school. for 500$ a month instead of the 1400$ I spend on rent when I own a home down the street , then save 900$ a month so don't tell me about education coming first cause it does .That was all I was saying don't get you're panties ruffled. Like I said edacation does come first thatis why I moved for my duaghters who doesn't play sports. And my son also who will get great grades no matter where he goes. I was just saying if you are on the border of township and IPS like alot of us are you should get a choise. I think the kids deserve that sorry if you do not feel the same way.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I did not want this to turn negative because education is my top priority, again thats why I moved so all 3 of my chidren could get a good education I just see the drop out % just down the street it don't seem fair to the kids that was all I was saying, and I am sure there is others who go through the same delima I was just wanting other views not a bashing. Sorry to the coaches and everyone who might be getting negative feed back I had all good intentions.

So lets please end the conversation if you don't understand where I am coming from.

My deepest appologies . Good luck to all progams this weekend at kids state!!

Nickster90,

If IPS is the reason kids are not succeeding academically, how do you explain the low test scores and discipline problems of those kids who are bussed from the inner city to the township schools?  It's not because the teachers are incompetent at IPS, it is because education is not valued in the home.

Thank you Nickster That was all I was trying to say right now on an average not 25% of the kids from IPS is graduating and then the teachers start to loose hope maybe just a little. I know from first hand experiance and I see it everyday that is why it is frustrating to me. I could see if we lived 10 miles away or something but just down the street could determain a kids future. That was all I was saying, and for all of you that don't understand you must have a pampered lifes. I have had to struggle and work hard for the decision I have made for my kids, to better there future. By getting them out of IPS . If you think I am wrong send you're child to an IPS school and you will see I doubt if any of you running you're mouths would do that. I am frusterated It takes 2 weeks of my checks to sacrifice what I am doing when I could take the easy road and move where I do not pay anything but my bills.  I am doing it for all my kids future, So don't tell me about getting an education.  I hope you can understand my concern.  KIDS COME FIRST

You're kids have probably never attended a Public school unless so you do not have a clue. I know I coached wrestling at Attics for two years were my son went to school. Don't tell me! In those two years at Attics we won city twice dominating the rest of the schools and had over 20 wrestlers each year that is great for IPS. The next year they cut wrestling out of the school for budget purposes.

Nickster90,

If IPS is the reason kids are not succeeding academically, how do you explain the low test scores and discipline problems of those kids who are bussed from the inner city to the township schools?  It's not because the teachers are incompetent at IPS, it is because education is not valued in the home.

Oh, I'm not disagreeing with you at all.  There is NO WAY I would ever send my sons to a school with a 39% graduation rate because in large part the students who attend the district have irresponsible parents.  As a matter of fact, I think it is irresponsible for parents who have the means to send them elsewhere to send their children to such an incompetent failure of a school system.

BINGO!

I read the original post and a few others but not all the pages. The schooling is the most important part. Lets be real though there is not that much difference between Manual and Perry. I remember being at a freestyle tournament during the summer of 06(im pretty sure) and coming out to my car was a flyer for new school board president for Perry. Had a bunch of stats on it one being that 58% of their senior class did not graduate. It also sounds like you straight admitted to moving into Perry township for athletic reason which is illegal.

As a matter of fact, I think it is irresponsible for parents who have the means to send them elsewhere to send their children to such an incompetent failure of a school system.

This contradicts earlier statements about parent involvement.  Now you are calling it an incompetant failure of a school system.  Which one is it, a bad school or bad parents?

What would happen to these "bad" schools if the brightest students actually stayed rather than leave in droves?  Maybe schools could be rebuilt from the inside out with the leadership of caring parents and hard working students?

I mean there is Jaime Escalante and that Ron Guy and Morgan Freeman's character in Stand By ME, but when have these failing school systems ever been rebuilt?

I want to just state that I spent the first 6 years of my teaching career in failing school districts including the one we are discussing.  I am speaking from my personal experience.  I haven't seen any of the broken systems fixed.

I believe you're referring to Ron Clark - elementary teacher in Harlem

Morgan Freeman was not in Stand By Me (4 kids going to see a dead body).  He was in Lean On Me.

As a matter of fact, I think it is irresponsible for parents who have the means to send them elsewhere to send their children to such an incompetent failure of a school system.

This contradicts earlier statements about parent involvement.  Now you are calling it an incompetant failure of a school system.  Which one is it, a bad school or bad parents?

These aren't mutually exclusive.  The parents of the children in  a school system go a long way in determining it's success.

Ahawkeye -

I really don't think that the school that a student-athlete attends will have that much influence on be recruited or not. It is about the academic rigor that the student takes, I honestly can careless if my child is a honor student in IPS or a Township school what it comes down to is the courses (AP, Honors, etc..) that the student has taken and how well they did in them. Contrary to what some may think IPS has one of the the most realistic athetlic eligibilityand attendance policies in the state. In order to compete a student athlete must have a 2.0 GPA and no more that 2 grades below at C and the must have a 90% attendance rate. I know at some "townships that you are allowed to compete with all D's. Just to Manual some kudos coach, Jason Stewart, has an academic All-State, Wrestler, Darius Sawyers with an 3.98 GPA and I can assure that he was not taking underwater basket weaving or pottery. It really comes down to being a student-athlete first. If you are good enough to get recruited it does not matter what school you attended, it is about staying there and graduating.

Coach Brown, I'm not quite following, I think I agree with your statemnet, do you disagree w/ one of mine? I would be in the crowd that believes parents being involved is a major factor in weather or not a kid does well in the classroom, however where ever a kid is at I feel that if he or she is an honor student taking either advansed classes or what I would consider core classes then great. If a kid has to work to get the grade then he deserves a pat on the back. My beef in this department, and I think you feel the same way, is a kid that isn't giving what he can in a lower class and could apply their selves and get a B in a more advanced class. Kind of like the kids that walk the track in gym class just because their too lazy to run, they know all they have to do is walk to get the grade but could run and make themselves better I think some kids in a genral math class just don't want to do much and are capable of a highschool level algebra class. I think you see what I'm saying.

What would happen to these "bad" schools if the brightest students actually stayed rather than leave in droves?  Maybe schools could be rebuilt from the inside out with the leadership of caring parents and hard working students?

I think it is a question of chicken or egg, and I don't think it makes a differnce.  I mean there is Jaime Escalante and that Ron Guy and Morgan Freeman's character in Stand By ME, but when have these failing school systems ever been rebuilt?

I want to just state that I spent the first 6 years of my teaching career in failing school districts including the one we are discussing.  I am speaking from my personal experience.  I haven't seen any of the broken systems fixed.

What is the "broken system"?  If you taught there for six years, were you a part of the reason why these students were not succeeding academically?  In your own defense, I'm going to go ahead and say that was probably not the case.  Today's teachers are more highly trained than ever, including those in the inner cities.  Public education is free and there for the taking.  It's not the education system that is broke.  It is the mentality of entitlement and lack of family values that is broke.  This mentality is not exclusive to IPS. 

BTW, I may be wrong, but I believe Escalante was the teacher in "Stand and Deliver"

Ahawkeye -

I really don't think that the school that a student-athlete attends will have that much influence on be recruited or not. It is about the academic rigor that the student takes, I honestly can careless if my child is a honor student in IPS or a Township school what it comes down to is the courses (AP, Honors, etc..) that the student has taken and how well they did in them. Contrary to what some may think IPS has one of the the most realistic athetlic eligibilityand attendance policies in the state. In order to compete a student athlete must have a 2.0 GPA and no more that 2 grades below at C and the must have a 90% attendance rate. I know at some "townships that you are allowed to compete with all D's. Just to Manual some kudos coach, Jason Stewart, has an academic All-State, Wrestler, Darius Sawyers with an 3.98 GPA and I can assure that he was not taking underwater basket weaving or pottery. It really comes down to being a student-athlete first. If you are good enough to get recruited it does not matter what school you attended, it is about staying there and graduating.

Coach Brown, I'm not quite following, I think I agree with your statemnet, do you disagree w/ one of mine? I would be in the crowd that believes parents being involved is a major factor in weather or not a kid does well in the classroom, however where ever a kid is at I feel that if he or she is an honor student taking either advansed classes or what I would consider core classes then great. If a kid has to work to get the grade then he deserves a pat on the back. My beef in this department, and I think you feel the same way, is a kid that isn't giving what he can in a lower class and could apply their selves and get a B in a more advanced class. Kind of like the kids that walk the track in gym class just because their too lazy to run, they know all they have to do is walk to get the grade but could run and make themselves better I think some kids in a genral math class just don't want to do much and are capable of a highschool level algebra class. I think you see what I'm saying.

I was just making an argument for the disparity in the academic core differences between soome townships and IPS school. You are right in saying that we agree that parental involvement is the biggest factor in the suceess of the student-athletle academically. I had been on both ends on the specturm as an athlete while in high school, I attend IPS and Township schools, and to be honest while at the IPS school I was in the magnet program and took classeses that were equalivent to the courses at the township school that I was at briefly my senior year. To say the least I has been my experience that my children will recieve the best education that I can afford them. 

WhAAT? Some of these posts are just downright hard to read. In the middle of one run on sentence one 'poster' said it was the school's fault, and then claimed it was parents. I don't care what your opinion is, just pick one!

I also seem to remember just a few months ago we were talking about the kid who transferred schools, and everyone jumped on those who said sit him out, because, "he could lose scholarship opportunities."  On that post everyone claimed he would have been held back from all of these scholarship opportunities, now suddenly on this post, I see a flip flop and some of the same people are now agreeing with us dissenters saying, ?o? yeah, there really aren't that many scholarships for wrestlers." Again, pick a side.

Finally, SB2, I agree with you, I think it has a lot to do with this "entitlement' society we live in today. But hey, what do you expect kids to think when you can run your business into the ground, or not pay your mortgage, and then the government will just "bail you out." We are losing the best thing about America, Honest Hard work, and Accountability.

Go to whatever school you want. If your passion is wrestling and you want to be a great wrestler and going to another high school will elp you acheive your goals I se no problem with it. Especially if it will help you get a chance to go to a good college. People need to stop complaining and just mind their own business.

Go to whatever school you want. If your passion is wrestling and you want to be a great wrestler and going to another high school will elp you acheive your goals I se no problem with it. Especially if it will help you get a chance to go to a good college. People need to stop complaining and just mind their own business.

Amen.  You need to run for office.

WOW!  How can I argue with such well supported and well articulated responses?

• 2 weeks later...

What are you saying Dolly?? Everyone should just mind their business. So coaches can go about their own business of recruiting against the rules. Isn't that suggesting that cheating is ok as long as no one catches you. That follows the three monkey rule see,hear and speak no evil. May the victory go to the one who knows how to cheat the best and get away with it. If only the IHSAA Knew. Maybe they do ??? Sort of like the IRS knows people cheat on their taxes. Just don't get caught!!

What are you saying Dolly?? Everyone should just mind their business. So coaches can go about their own business of recruiting against the rules. Isn't that suggesting that cheating is ok as long as no one catches you. That follows the three monkey rule see,hear and speak no evil. May the victory go to the one who knows how to cheat the best and get away with it. If only the IHSAA Knew. Maybe they do ??? Sort of like the IRS knows people cheat on their taxes. Just don't get caught!!

he didnt say "go recruit whoever you want" he said "go whereever you want" if you just dont like the school in your district and u really like the school in the neighboring county then by all means do what you want not what your address tells you to do

Who cares who recruits who its an individual sport anyways.  Matre Dei didn't make it to the finals for the first time in forever and everyone is still yelling about it.  Everyone wants everything to be equal now a days but the truth of the matter is things are not ever going to be equal.  Perfect is impossible to find and everyone wants a eutopia for high school wrestling the system is not broken.  We  have more talent now then ever, we have a better wrestling field at all levels, we have had different champions in the past few years, and people have recruited for years its part of the sport live with it.  If you hate it so much leave, or better yet work harder to become a better team.  Hard work beats all when it comes to wrestling and telent only takes individuals so far.  So quit whining everytime a catholic school does something good and start making yourselfs better and maybe kids won't leave your school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.