"Junk-Artists" a new term I heard at Conseco

sodakchamp

I had the pleasure to spend a good part of Saturday with fans/parents from an Indy-area school and heard the term "Junk-Artist" which I have to say cracked me up.  My translation of this (from what I heard, but agree with) is someone who makes it out of tournaments without a "bag of tricks", poor positioning, poor technique and a skill-set that is one-move.  Just curious if this is a new term for those who make it this far (State Tournament) or those who make it out of tournaments in general.  Once again, just curious as to what the group thought about this "new" term for wrestlers competing at this level. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember back in about 1971 a school here in the north had about half a dozen regional champs who all won with headlocks.

Then there was the old cross face series: either cradle or bundle.

Now it is the leg-ride and power-half, combined with guillotine, Turk, banana split (saw at least three pins with this and lots of near falls).

Does this qaulify as junk?

Or is it simply good fundamentals, like lay-ups and freethrows to refer to that "other sport" ? ? ?

ahhhh this is good, i ran into my old coach at the show Saturday, we were talking about Patascil and his, what some people call "cheap" tilt, hahaa  "cheap" if it was so, then EVERYONE would be doing it,, haha...  ahhhh the days of watching that Gene Mills VHS tape  heck it even made the VCR smoke 1 day... gezzzz....  but we were a decent tilting team..    sorry if i h/j...

Once again, this was a new term I heard this weekend and didn't hear it in reference to specific wrestlers so please note that the question was not put out here in regards to individual wrestlers.  I was merely looking for other's input on what they thought about this term and, like I said in the earlier thread, if they make it to the state tournament is it "junk" if it is effective?  I really don't have an opinion on this, merely looking for input.  No offense to anyone at all, just being curious as to what the forum thought.  Honestly, a win is a win and I just thought this an interesting perspective from a spectator.

There have been a lot of guys who were successful with headlocks, kids on my team refer it as "club move".

Kurt Kinser and Billy Neagle are two I can remember,  and Kinser hits headlocks in college!

Didn't Neagle place higher than Maurer at Fargo one year because he pinned a guy who beat Maurer?

Junk is a relative term.....i don't think it is so negative, more so just using less than traditional technique.....If you catch a quality wrestler with "junk", then it ain't so bad...Kinser is the best example in recent years...

Junk is a relative term.....i don't think it is so negative, more so just using less than traditional technique.....If you catch a quality wrestler with "junk", then it ain't so bad...Kinser is the best example in recent years...

I agree !  What is being expressed is the fact that this "Unorthodox Style" works. There are many names for it Funkability,scrambibility some sound negative others not so. These styles are often do to a strange quirk of nature and should not be viewed negatively. The frustration in wrestling someone with this natural ability comes from the fact that "I can't do that, how can he" . That must be "Junk" ! Nope - he just has something you don't. You just have to Plan accordingly. Can you move as fast as Angel Escobedo? Nope ! Must be Junk !

ahhhh this is good, i ran into my old coach at the show Saturday, we were talking about Patascil and his, what some people call "cheap" tilt, hahaa  "cheap" if it was so, then EVERYONE would be doing it,, haha...  ahhhh the days of watching that Gene Mills VHS tape   heck it even made the VCR smoke 1 day... gezzzz....  but we were a decent tilting team..    sorry if i h/j...

Sounds like a familiar conversation...

The only "junk" move in my book is something illegal. Sure some people call spladels junk, but if they work, they work.

Great feedback.  I have to agree with the post regarding "one man's junk is another man's treasure."  It sounds like the bottom line is that a wrestler should/needs to expect anything on the mat (clearly within reason).

FYI - just to exonerate names mentioned in this post.  I heard it from New Pal fans and the specific names mentioned in this post were never discussed, it was a comment made in general.  Once again, I think this is great advice to give to a wreslter.  Never underestimate your opponent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.