Were half the champs from the same semi-state?

Promoter480

You are hilarious.  Where do you get these powerful emoticon PHOTOS?

Just like the horse of how terrible the site for the SS must be BEAT on for about two weeks prior.  I had third row seats when I showed up for the finals, climbing over all the leftovers from the food that spectators smuggled in to the event.

Is there a post elsewhere already active about how awesome the competition is at that Semi-state?

What SECTIONAL has the most power?  I know that Plymouth had one champ and few others who even placed.  What sectional was dominant?  Crown Point's?

It is becoming an annual event on the forum:

> Rant for two weeks leading up to the semi-state about how bad the venue is. . .  (although it really has a great atmosphere and is run pretty efficiently)

>Rant for two weeks following State about the fact that real hotbed is NWest part of the state (this coming from a guy EAST of US 31.) 

Where do these NW schools keep finding all of these powerful athletes?  It is not recruiting.  Great coaching, great community support, great cooperation among schools with open rooms in off season.  My kids used to wrestle through three different schools in freestyle season.

Interestingly,  Our bus passes the busses going in the opposite direction from Jimtown, Northwood, Elkhart on their way to Fort Wayne.  Wawasee probably drives right through the town where Northwood is (Nappanee).  But it turns out that even though the gerrymandering has no rhyme or reason, it is good to be up there at Mville.

Let's continue to beat the dead horse and examine the Merrillville SS success:

Last year: 6 champs, 4 2nds

07: 7 champs, 5 2nds

06: 8 champs, 2 2nds

05: 4 champs, 7 2nds

04: 7 champs, 5 2nds

03: 7 champs, 1 2nd

If you look over the last 6-7 years, Seven champs coming out of the Merrillville SS is about the norm. Not a bad run!

Let's continue to beat the dead horse and examine the Merrillville SS success:

Last year: 6 champs, 4 2nds

07: 7 champs, 5 2nds

06: 8 champs, 2 2nds

05: 4 champs, 7 2nds

04: 7 champs, 5 2nds

03: 7 champs, 1 2nd

If you look over the last 6-7 years, Seven champs coming out of the Merrillville SS is about the norm. Not a bad run!

Thanks for looking up those stats.  (I would have but didn't feel like it.)

People are acting like this is something new... Merrillville's dominance.  It's not.  It's been there for many years.

the semi states were compared each round of the state finals based on how they were doing and they were clearly dominate.

Breakdown of the finalists by Semi State:

NC: 10

MV: 9

FW: 5

EV: 4

Not sure how they were "clearly dominate"[sic] each round when the New Castle semi state had more finalists, but they definitely had more champs.  Congrats on a great finals!

Not to do anything but stir the pot a bit ...

What would those numbers look like if Mishawaka (and only Mishawaka) were moved from Merrillville to Ft. Wayne?  It would follow logic since most of the North east of US 31 seems to go to Ft. Wayne and mileage-wise it looks to be a wash between the two? I suspect for the last several years Ft. Wayne would look much stronger and Merrillville much weaker, maybe even reversing positions in SS numbers performance.

Would losing Mishawaka to Ft. Wayne (which might easily happen in a DOE governed athletic association to "make it fairer") make DaRegion weaker and less dominant?  Not like since I don't think Mishawaka is technically part of DaRegion to begin with.

Point is as someone returning to Indiana pointed out  elsewhere on the forum, wrestling throughout the state has improved dramatically through the years and that is throughout the state, not just in one small geography or another.

Would losing Mishawaka to Ft. Wayne (which might easily happen in a DOE governed athletic association to "make it fairer") make DaRegion weaker and less dominant?  Not like since I don't think Mishawaka is technically part of DaRegion to begin with.

I heard a rumor that the DOE would like to bus wrestlers between districts in the interest of fairness.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.