Crown Point Wrestlers excellent, Coaching of Sporstmanship Inexcusable

sasquatch

OK, it seems obvious that CP has lost this years hand shaking tournament. Any news on some of our other contestants. I mean we are there to make sure hands get shaken right. I think we ought to go even further. We should put it in that after every takedown we have a round of hand shaking. You get a reversal, a round of hand shaking. I mean we dont have enough hand shaking in this sport as it is.

If the CP coaches realized that Mr. Grey was comming to them to shake hands they would have. I cannot imagine they would have just ignored him.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike some people on this forum, especially its founder, I can see both sides of the coin in this argument. I always have my wrestlers shake the opposing coaches hand after a match. Do I feel disrespected if the opposing wrestler doesn't shake my hand? Absolutely not. Sasquatch made a valid observation about CP. I don't believe he has a personal vendetta against them or their wrestlers.  

All football and basketball players must be the most disrespectful people on earth, they only shake hands after the game.  I think they should shake hands after each play with not only the players, but the coaches.

They shake hands quit a bit.  Before the tip off.  They even help each other up sometimes when there was a hard foul.

We are the only sport that requires athletes to shake hands aftrer the competition.

Cmon people.  Shaking hands is a personal thing.  Either you do it or you don't.  I personally think a person should, however I would not, and do not, get upset when a wrestler does not shake hands after the match. 

I would like to know if the coach saw Grey or if he was zoning out about his own wrestlers, which is possible considering the roll CP was on during the tournament.

Its seems like we had this discusion about the cavemen last year or the year before!  It seems that we seem to  dissect the team that does the best, the most leave the cp people alone.  

A CAVEMEN FAN

My thoughts overall and not directed towards CP who believe is a very respectful team in general.

I think its good to get at least one good hand shake in to the wrestlers and opposing coach at some point during the day.  It's good to show respect to the wrestlers and the coach who trained them. Anything after the one time for both is bonus in my opinion.  Most time in a dual meet this is done after the match when the wrestlers and coaches both  line up to shake hands.  But a tournament is not a dual and in most cases you do not shake hands with the one wrestler and coach several times in the course of the event.  You don't hae the recieving line at the end to shake hands or that would be the best oppertunity like a dual.  So shakeing the coaches hand would only happen before or after the match starts in those instances.  As long is tempers are not high the easiest time would be right after the match.  If emotions are still high then make an attempt to shake the coaches hand later if at all possible.  If the coach still isn't interested in shaking your hand then that their deal, but at least you can say you tried.  You can't really blaim the kids for these actions though, since if its a team think it was probably done via the coaches instructions.  I'd say it something the coaches had a reasoning for doing, though my personal feeling are that the hand shakeing in a dual meet can be addressed differently than a tournament.

I hope that the original poster was joking

Sasquatch, do me a favor. Watch any college wrestling meet, and tell me how many times any wrestler shakes an opposing coaches hand. It rarely, if ever happens.

I think it's borderline rude to shake the opposing coaches hand after a match at a dual meet. The coaches are trying to do there job, maybe they want to give there athlete some last minute instructions before they go to the mat, maybe they need to talk to there kid after coming off the mat to correct him on a certain tecnique, maybe they need to talk to there assistants, maybe they need to look in the rule book for something, etc.

At your average dual, you shake hand during intros, before the start of each match, at the conclusion of each match, and and the conclusion of the dual. At what point, in your opinion, does it get excesssive?

What other sport is it considered "sportsmanship" to shake the opposing coaches hand during the course of competition?

I could go on and on giving you reasons why shaking the other coaches hand is pointless, but you'll never get it.

And please trust me on this, I personally know Vlink, Rodriguez, and the rest off the C.P coaching staff, and they would never intentionally turn there back on a kid like you described.

I do not believe he was, has a right to make observation.  I can see how the CP fans would take offense to this post though.

Sasquatch, do me a favor. Watch any college wrestling meet, and tell me how many times any wrestler shakes an opposing coaches hand. It rarely, if ever happens.

I think it is unfair to compare the two, if we are comparing then nobody should compain when someone gets on here and bashes a "kid" in high school's actions.

I think it's borderline rude to shake the opposing coaches hand after a match at a dual meet. The coaches are trying to do there job, maybe they want to give there athlete some last minute instructions before they go to the mat, maybe they need to talk to there kid after coming off the mat to correct him on a certain tecnique, maybe they need to talk to there assistants, maybe they need to look in the rule book for something, etc.

I agree with your comment, during a dual it can wait til after the dual is completed.  However to say they are to busy is not a valid reason, there should be someone there that can extend a courtesy of shaking or "knuckle punching" the opposing wrestler's hand.

What other sport is it considered "sportsmanship" to shake the opposing coaches hand during the course of competition?

I would say none, howver I would also say after the match is concluded would not in my book be considered "during" the course of competition.

I could go on and on giving you reasons why shaking the other coaches hand is pointless, but you'll never get it.

As could people who support shaking hands.  Is for fun discussion on here, which after all is the point of this board.

And please trust me on this, I personally know Vlink, Rodriguez, and the rest off the C.P coaching staff, and they would never intentionally turn there back on a kid like you described.

I do not personally know them, but I do agree with you.  I don't think they intentionally turned their back on the kid.

At your average dual, you shake hand during intros, before the start of each match, at the conclusion of each match, and and the conclusion of the dual. At what point, in your opinion, does it get excesssive?

Trapjaw- First of all, I agree that the activity in a dual meet can be excessive. My observations and comments were not about a dual meet, but the individual state finals! Most of the kids that wrestle at any level in our state will not go on to wrestle in college. I hope by that time they, with the nurturing of their parents and coaches  will  themselves be , respectful young adults. However, too many of our kids do not have a home or surroundings where the basic tenets of respect are taught and reinforced. I am not a schoolteacher, but I know most of the head coaches are in the buildings in one capacity or another. I am in the building during the wrestling season and it affirms the "horror stories" of disrespect they share with me.

I don't like to see an opportunity lost for a young man to learn about a principle that seems to be disappearing in our society.

Maybe I was sleeping during the finals and missed some bad sportsmanship displayed by the Crown Point wrestlers. These boys are a class act and to insinuate that they are anything but, is UNEXCUSABLE!!! How dare you word your post in a way that makes these boys sound like thugs who can't display appropriate behavior. Just because you may not agree with not shaking hands, it doesn't give you the right to say that their coaches are not teaching them to be great people and  are not offering them YOUR version of a complete package. These boys are some of the BEST young men that I have had the great pleasure to be around and the CP coaches are great leaders and terrific role models to these young men. Congrats again to the entire Crown Point team and coaches.

Clive- you seem a bit paranoid. Read the post. I was impressed with the wrestlers performance, focus and preparation and congratulated them for it. Refer back to X card...this is a discussion board.I have every right to make an observation. Nobody insinuated anything about the young men. Nothing was said about them being thugs who cannot display good behavior. There were 224 wrestlers competing at Conseco. The only wrestlers not to shake the opposing coaches hand were from Crown point. I am fairly certain the boys do not make that decision on their own. If you aren't tired of the disrespect shown by alot of todays youth to adults and feel that missing an opportunity to display respect is a good example, especially in front of a fieldhouse full of young, impressionable, future wrestlers, you have every right to submit a post about it.

Are you sure, what about the two New Caste Boys of Coach Peckinpaugh's????? They NEVER shake hands of the opposing coach.....

I am sure many of you that are defending CP were many of the same ones that were condemning Cathedral when Lance Rhodes was coach. I seem to remember everyone saying that it was wrong of Rhodes to not have his wrestlers shake the coaches hands.

I thought wrestling isn't like all the other sports?

This is complete boloney. They never did that when I was in high school and it wasn't considered disrepectful. Why should they change now? I've also witnessed many times where a losing wrestler will come over and mutter something nasty or just swipe at a coach's hand, and that's not good for anybody. Best just to avoid that situation altogether.

If wrestling teaches great life lessons such as how to lose with honor, how to win with honor, and the benefits of hard work, how can the scenario you mentioned above occur?  Sure you are going to have a few empty headed morons, but most of these young men should be mature enough to handle it.  The immature boys are playing basketball, remember?

As a former CP wrestler and current wrestling coach I have been told I have some of the most respectful teams in the area, and a lot of the things that were taught to me by Coach Vlink I teach t my kids in our room and none of it has to do with shaking the opposing coaches hand after a match.

I think I noticed a few people in person and on the board bringing up the great job CP did as individuals.

wasnt saying they didnt do a great job i commend them on a job well done but if you dont show respect now you will think you never half to, and life after wrestling is whats important

I think I noticed a few people in person and on the board bringing up the great job CP did as individuals.

wasnt saying they didnt do a great job i commend them on a job well done but if you dont show respect now you will think you never half to, and life after wrestling is whats important

My response was for this comment.  Just forgot to quote it.

The worst thing about this is that Crown Point won 3 state titles yesterday, won the coaches trophy, and this is what everyone is talking about all day...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.