i can't see

jaydee88

Let's see or not see. If you advance the top 4 instead of the top 3 from regionals; that would mean 56 more wrestlers. I was at the Merrillville semi-state and stood for the whole 1st and 2nd rounds. It's ashame when the only best seat in the house is on the mats.  My son and I were down on the floor moving this way and that way; then some lady told this guy with a rope that he had to bring the rope farther back because it was getting to crowed; go figure. Yes it was better after the bleachers were let out and 2 mats were removed; but still. It has always been crowed; so when the system changed and added 56 more wrestlers; common sense would have told you that it would get more hectic.  I talk to Coach Snyder from Mishawaka and mentioned Notre Dame as a spot to host the semi-state and ND said no way. So I just want to know what other people think and how things could be better for next year.

As mentioned on another post EC Central is the 2nd largest gym in the state and they have the same amount of seating on all 4 sides of the balcony.Usually I could make it through the morning session until the bleachers are pulled out but the extra matches and extra people really put a strain on the old bones. I can still feel a knee in my back. I had a seat and it was bad and there were plenty of people standing that whole time.Is it really right to charge 9$ to someone  for a seat that they won't be able to use until 2pm.I wonder if Bobby Cox had to stand.I know this topic comes up every year, but it really is time for a change. 

Ironicly enough, I thought that it seemed less crowded than in past years.  I did get there early and wait in line for 30 minutes, but my son and I had great seats.  I didn't feel crowded at all.  $9 for a highschool event at an actual high school gym is unbelievable.  I feel bad for families that had to shell out 50 to 70 dollars just to watch their kid participate in a high school event.  That doesn't count food and other expences.  Far too expensive. 

Ironicly enough, I thought that it seemed less crowded than in past years.  I did get there early and wait in line for 30 minutes, but my son and I had great seats.  I didn't feel crowded at all.  $9 for a highschool event at an actual high school gym is unbelievable.  I feel bad for families that had to shell out 50 to 70 dollars just to watch their kid participate in a high school event.  That doesn't count food and other expences.  Far too expensive. 

Where do people shell out 50 to 70 dollars to watch their kid participate in a high school event?

I didn't see Merrillvile giving family discounts.  I watched a family of six paying $9 each and that didn't include the grandparents that followed them.  I'm not saying that it should be free.  I understand the cost that it takes to run this tournament.  Officials alone cost alot.  But look around that gym and do the math.  $9 is too much for an event set in a school gym.

Oh man, here we go again....... every year its the same thing, seating, prices, rude people its like the saving seats conversation, POINTLESS!!!! until people get together and actually do something  this will never ever change! There are plenty of viable options out there, but until we make our voices heard to the correct authority IE the IHSAA or whomever this is a mute subject. Dont get me wrong I completely agree  but it is clear complaining on this forum or any other is not cutting it! So I suggest that some one writes a proper petition stating FACTS and the viable options to said location. Like maybe a rotating location, Merriville one year the next at Lafayette Jeff (where there is more than enough room), and Central the next or where ever. There just has to be a combined effort from all of us if we are going to get this changed.

Geeze ADK he is just upset about the cost of his entire family to enjoy probably one of his relatives wrestle.

It is legitimate.

Just as many folks complain about the cost of food at conseco and other sites.

Drook it was not my intention to belittle his comment, my point is that indeed there does need to be something done but simply posting something on here will not get the job done. Something or someone with more authority needs to take control of this situation, my apologies if I upset someone like I said it was not my intent. 

I didn't see Merrillvile giving family discounts.  I watched a family of six paying $9 each and that didn't include the grandparents that followed them.  I'm not saying that it should be free.  I understand the cost that it takes to run this tournament.  Officials alone cost alot.  But look around that gym and do the math.  $9 is too much for an event set in a school gym.

ha officials don't cost thaaat much for the state tournament...we don't get paid well at all!

The additional wrestlers certainly added to the crowd at New Castle.  It was packed for the first two rounds.  I have not heard an actual paid attendance, but I would imagine there were around 8,000 in the stands (paid & non paid) for the first two rounds.

From their website:

"The new building was designed with primary emphasis on supplementing the already existing recreational areas. It contains: seven playing floors for basketball and volleyball; a free play area for recreational basketball, volleyball, and other activities; a nine-lap per mile running track; six racquetball/handball courts; classrooms and lounges; and a coed training room." 

Sounds like plenty of warm up room too.

Never thought of that location babamf; good idea.

I never thought of that before today, I hope that makes some people aware, and that we are on to something here, and its not like it is that much farther than merrilville.

The only way that semi-state location will change is if you folks up north hit the ihsaa in the wallet. That means do not go! When money stops coming in they will change it for the next year. Now that said, it is not realistic. We are wrestling people, we stand in line forever, constantly move for better views, look for not only our favorites, but also for the matches we think are best. In the end you folks will continue to go to watch what you (and many others) believe is the best semi state in indiana. Wrestling people are completely misunderstood by the ihsaa.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.