James Travis Merrillville

ontherise219

I posted a Acticle on this site saying that he weights around 225. Even though he has only 1 loss this year I don't see why he doesn't cut to 215. 10 lbs isn't that much. I think he would be a monster at 215 he is already a pretty solid Hwt. I think he would have been the 215 champ. He had a good match with Fitzgereld. But Fitzgereld was so much bigger than he was. Just a thought

Speaking from experience, some guys just wrestle bigger guys better.  Some small HWT's are quicker than the big guys and are able to use that to their advantage, whereas they might just have average quickness/athleticism against some of the better 215's.  I have a HWT right now who is like that. He started the season at 235, but weighs under 220 right now. He has done extremely well against the bigger guys, so he stayed at HWT.  I was a small HWT myself in H.S. and college, and I know that I would have dropped to 215 in a second if it were available then.  I wrestled back in the '80's when we went from 185 to HWT.  I had always been smaller, though, and grew into HWT as a senior. I did OK, but I really struggled with the guys approaching the weight limit, so the lighter class would have been good for me.  If you can win where you are at, though, why mess with success? 

For what it's worth, that's the opinion of one former "small" HWT. 

(Plus, when you grow up as a fat kid, it's kind of nice to be called "small" once in a while:)

Speaking from experience, some guys just wrestle bigger guys better.  Some small HWT's are quicker than the big guys and are able to use that to their advantage, whereas they might just have average quickness/athleticism against some of the better 215's.  I have a HWT right now who is like that. He started the season at 235, but weighs under 220 right now. He has done extremely well against the bigger guys, so he stayed at HWT.  I was a small HWT myself in H.S. and college, and I know that I would have dropped to 215 in a second if it were available then.  I wrestled back in the '80's when we went from 185 to HWT.  I had always been smaller, though, and grew into HWT as a senior. I did OK, but I really struggled with the guys approaching the weight limit, so the lighter class would have been good for me.  If you can win where you are at, though, why mess with success? 

For what it's worth, that's the opinion of one former "small" HWT. 

(Plus, when you grow up as a fat kid, it's kind of nice to be called "small" once in a while:)

Back when dare was a a185 dare was no limit on da heavies !! Dare used to be some 400lbers of jelly back in da day

What do you think about adding another weight class between 215 and hwt; like 250 or 260? Just a thought!!!!

I would go 240, but yes I would add one more weight class. It would eliminate the 100 criterias officials have to go through to break a tie. Dual meet is tied, only criteria needed . . . who won more matches?

Add another HWT class?  No way!  If anything, we need to do like college does and get rid of 215.  I have always thought that the 215 class took some of the best athletes out of the HWT class and made it a push and shove fest.  I think those lighter guys taking shots and wearing down the big guys with their conditioning would make HWT more interesting.  Does anyone remember when Kurt Angle won the NCAA  HWT championship (1989 or 90?) when he weighed in at 206?  Now, that was an exciting HWT! If I had my way, we would keep 14 weights, but readjust them like this: 

162 (currently 160), 173 (171), 185 (189), 198 (215), 285.  In my opinion, throughout the season about half of the 215's that I see are back up 189's.  At Semi State and State, you see some athletic studs at 215, but most of them would be great light heavy's!  This way, the guys who could make it would go down to 198, but those big guys that weigh 215 or cut to get there would add a lot of athleticism to the HWT class!

I like what the NCWA did with implementing the 235 lb weight class.  I think that Jim Giunta and the other brains behind that organization realized that there was a void at that spot and thought that there was no sense in a wrestler weighing 230 and cutting to 197, or having to wrestle 285.  Honestly, I agree with it and I think that it made it more competitive so that wrestlers naturally in the 215-245 weight range could wrestle.

So we discriminate against the big guys because they are slower and less "exciting" than the little guys? Come on now, thats not fair. Big guys are just as important. Myabe the solution is better coaching. Too many coaches teach a style that advocates satlling. They play that 1-1 or 0-0 HWT match. This is what the wieght class has become, a dancing bear fest. Don't penalize them because you are not "entertained". 

I vote for a 240ish wight class to give some of the smaller, more agile Heavys a chance to compete more. This gets them "out from under" the BIG guys. I agree that I want to see more athleticism among wrestlers. I believe this makes it fair to all by giving the lighter heavys their own weight class. I know it can creat some time head aches as far as adding more time to duals meets and tourneys, but it could get more big guys out for the sport. 

spiralride1, you make some good points, especially about getting more big guys to come out for wrestling.

Maybe that would work, but my concern at the HS level would be filling those classes. Right now, I find it difficult to fill 215 and 285 with quality wrestlers. More often than not, my 215 is a 189 pounder wrestling up. That is one reason that I advocated going to 198. I  still feel that more smaller heavy's would make the weight class more interesting, not take away opportunities from anyone.  I'm sure at some of the MIC schools (3000+enrollment) there are plenty of big kids, but at smaller schools, we just don't have that many big guys walking the halls, especially ones willing to wrestle. 

If it were determined that a "middle" ground was needed for HWT, I think moving 215 up to 225 or 230 would be a better solution  than adding another weight class.

I see your points and agree to disagree. I have seen small schools with several big men. They have help from football coaches I'm sure. But many are turned off by the push-and-shove match mentioned before. I advocate to all coaches to coach a more active style to your big men. Get'em in shape and keep'em moving more GOOD things will happen then BAD. Watching Richey vs White at Eville SS was a good example. Both guys moved well for their size and it was by no means boring. Especially the Richey vs Clark match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.