semistate drive

old82

Elkhart (a stone's throw from the MI line) all the way to New Castle.  I CRAWLED into be at 1:30 in the morning.  I woke up just in time for Daytona!

One year I worked the Team Semi State at Bellmont on a Wednesday and the Individual Semi State at Evansville on a Saturday-3 days later and I travled to both places from Noblesville.. You got off easy.

P.S. Remember when getting home at 1:30 am was fun?

grecoref, I remember when a wise man once told me that getting old meant you were GOING TO BED when you use to go out, and GETTING UP when you used to be coming home  :-\

You know that I appreciate your driving distance, but you also have a five minute drive to a freeway.  I have choice of an hour on the toll road to find an interstate OR check the breaks all the way down 31! 

Just this season the good people at the IHSAA have sent me to Decator Central (sectional), Portage (team reg & the shortest ride), Peru (regional), and New Castle!  By the way, I just checked the mailbox and I have one more long drive this weekend  ;D  I don't know if you heard yet, but it will be my last in the stripes.

Some of us old fogies  remember when the E'ville semi-state was at Bloomington North HS then at Seymour.  Driving from way down here in the crotch of the state was at least a 3 hour drive to either one.    I can also remember when the IHSAA dictated that the finals could not start until 7:00.    Talk about a long day and a long ride home.......  And the bleachers at Seymour were some of the most uncomfortable ones I've ever plastered my butt to.

theckman,

Seymour was always my favorite semi-state.

www.theancientelder.net

Well if we ever got the individual regional we'll be happy to bring back a little of those some memories for you TAE.  I doubt you'll see a semi-state back there again since Eville spoils us with their nice stadium.  I did like the previous 5 min drive over the current one thats over 2 1/2 hours.

Here at Warsaw we have a semi-state 45 minutes away but have to drive 2 hours to Merriville!

I think one of the best ones used to be when Tri High School which is located about 3-4 miles from the City limits of New Castle traveled to Evansville for the Semi-State......think about that drive.

I still think it wierd that New Castle host the Southeastern portion of the states semi-state but is above I-70.  But in retrospect its not any different than some of the other schools above I-70 on the west side of the state having to drive to E-ville.

just wondering if anybody drove more miles to a semistate site than me.It was 191 moles from my house  one way to evansville.i think bloomington would be a great spot for a semi state more centrally located.

On the flip side, the folks from Evansville have a much longer drive than you to the state finals.  So it balances out in the end.

Also it would be hard to not have an event in the 3rd largest city in the state.  Where would you have it in Bloomington, Assembly Hall?  I bet IU doesn't want any part of it.

That is crazy former130, the ihsaa should do something about that. Elkhart which is near Mishawaka and South Bend goes to Ft. Wayne and Warsaw to Merrillville. Maybe someday they will change the format and see how far the athletes and fans shouldn't have to travel.

Here at Warsaw we have a semi-state 45 minutes away but have to drive 2 hours to Merriville!

No way it takes 2 hours to drive to Merrillville from Warsaw.  I can get to Merrillville from Fort Wayne in just under 2 hours.  Tho I agree it's kind of strange that Warsaw is in the Merrillville SS.

just wondering if anybody drove more miles to a semistate site than me.It was 191 moles from my house  one way to evansville.i think bloomington would be a great spot for a semi state more centrally located.

On the flip side, the folks from Evansville have a much longer drive than you to the state finals.  So it balances out in the end.

Also it would be hard to not have an event in the 3rd largest city in the state.  Where would you have it in Bloomington, Assembly Hall?  I bet IU doesn't want any part of it.

I think some of us in Evansville feel semi state is the payoff for a few of us. We log a lot of miles driving our younger kids to state tournaments every year. Well, all tournaments really. (By the way Bloomington, I will never forget when I drove 3 kids up after work and arrived less than 5 minutes late for weigh-ins and you wouldn't let us weigh until morning.) Unfortunately, all those miles don't guarntee semistate when they get older.  :-\

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.