Class Wrestling?????

devildog47959

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to see anyone claim that having 3 kids in each weight class is not an advantage.  Does anyone think that having more practice partners and kids competing for the same varsity spot is not an advantage?

I want a yes or no answer to this question. Do bigger schools have a distinct advantage over small schools due to the size of their student body?

I am confused as you stated in one sentence that they do, but in another one, state that they do not.

Yes bigger schools do have the advantage in sports like football, but not in wrestling.  Wrestling is broken down by weight classes, therefore there is no adavantage to any school of any size.

I was going to hold back, but I just can't.

School A, male enrollment of 800 boys, lets say about fifty 125lb. kids, lets say about 15 have any athletic ability, lets say about 3 are tough enough to wrestle, maybe one of the three is really good.

School B, male enrollement of 150 boys, lets say about nine 125 lb. kids, lets say about 3 have any athletic ability, lets say about 1 is tough enough to wrestle, maybe he is or isn't actually good.

Now, take this to every weight class.  Which school, in general, should have better team wrestling?  This does not prevent small schools from being good, but let's face it boys, in spite what you want to believe, you know deep down in your heart that  . . .yes . . . size really does matter.

if enrllment doesn't matter why are 75% of the state qualifiers the past 11 years from big schools?

My guess is that it's because approximately 75% of the male students go to "big schools". 

I think the data you have put together and presented here previously has shown this to be the case.   

I'm against classes, but I'm not going to be naive and say every school is on an equal playing surface, because that's just not the case. The biggest reason I would be for moving to a class system is if it improved the product on the mat. However, looking at the progess (or lack there of) of certain states with class systems suggests that the quality doesn't improve really.

But I will say what a class system may do, is it gives more college opportunities for wrestlers, since the State Finals is where college coaches are for recruiting purposes. However, I think just a simple expansion of the State Finals would have the same effect. The only question is, how do you coax the IHSAA into expanding the State Finals?

I don't think it is the size of the school but the size of the heart.  I think the wrestlers who are successful are those who put the blood, sweat and tears into the sport.  If you look,  I would bet the majority of the boys left are those who wrestle all year long.  I bet you will see these same faces at folkstyle, freestyle and grecco roman tournaments.  I believe when it comes to the teams, the size of the school matters.

I don't think it is the size of the school but the size of the heart.  I think the wrestlers who are successful are those who put the blood, sweat and tears into the sport.  If you look,  I would bet the majority of the boys left are those who wrestle all year long.  I bet you will see these same faces at folkstyle, freestyle and grecco roman tournaments.  I believe when it comes to the teams, the size of the school matters.

I agree with you here, but is it a coincidence that 75% of these kids with "more heart" come from big schools?

I think with more kids you find more kids with that kind of heart. I think you also get into where a lot of smaller schools still have as many sports at big school. That really stretches the kids out in all sports. MTV2112 said was I was going to which is a good point. Im not for class system or against it. Either one has its pro's and cons. But to say bigger schools, for the most part, do not pull out more talents is pretty stupid. You can say it just takes kids with heart and determination but do you think you will find more of those kids out of 1500 or 300?

Well if yu think about it wrestling a class system in an individual sense is stupid. Everyone wants to be a true champion. The best. That is what the IHSAA wants. Now in a team sense I can understand a class system because of depth and multiple kids competing for a spot. If an athlete in a small school wants to be a champion on his own he just needs to get out and do tournaments himself in the offseason and decide that wrestling is the sport he wishes to pursue.

Class wrestling huh? NO size doesn't matter, its the school! Team Duals look the 2 that have been there the most Bellmont and Mater Dei, they have seen each other sometimes in other sports that have classes. Why, because both school are in 3A and 2A classes. How do you tell the person next to you, "Yeah, we had the best team in the state because we won the 5A championship," when you have the tradition of these two programs in lower classes or even New Castle for that matter (they made their appreances at team state), I do NOT believe you can. Teams or people cannot be scared of teams from a higher class and expect to win (we are HOOSIERS, they made a movie about it, different sport but none the less). Never be scared, Never back down are you will never make it that's the what I was always told. They only thing a class systems does is leave ?s on who really is the best. To say you are the best team with no doubt, everyone else has to fall. Yeah, you could do a tournament of champs the following weekend with excuses on it doesn't matter, our day was at state, injuries, etc.., so why not keep it in 1 weekend 1 TRUE TEAM STATE CHAMPION! Not every small school is scared to run with the bigger dogs!!!

Class wrestling huh? NO size doesn't matter, its the school! Team Duals look the 2 that have been there the most Bellmont and Mater Dei, they have seen each other sometimes in other sports that have classes. Why, because both school are in 3A and 2A classes. How do you tell the person next to you, "Yeah, we had the best team in the state because we won the 5A championship," when you have the tradition of these two programs in lower classes or even New Castle for that matter (they made their appreances at team state), I do NOT believe you can. Teams or people cannot be scared of teams from a higher class and expect to win (we are HOOSIERS, they made a movie about it, different sport but none the less). Never be scared, Never back down are you will never make it that's the what I was always told. They only thing a class systems does is leave ?s on who really is the best. To say you are the best team with no doubt, everyone else has to fall. Yeah, you could do a tournament of champs the following weekend with excuses on it doesn't matter, our day was at state, injuries, etc.., so why not keep it in 1 weekend 1 TRUE TEAM STATE CHAMPION! Not every small school is scared to run with the bigger dogs!!!

I agree with alot of that just not the last part. The smaller schools are "scared" to run with the big dogs. Thats kind of patrionizing in the expense of saying they cant compete.

First off, lets give the college coaches some credit for realizing which states have class wrestling and which don't.  I think they are knowledgeable enough about the sport to realize what placing in Indiana really means.  Maybe you are suggesting changing other stages of the tournament but I have already seen several losing records in the brackets for semi-state.  I would be wary of watering down the quality of wrestlers at each stage.  In the article about Harper they mention how we have so few 4 time state champs because of our classless system.  Changing to classes would weaken this achievement.

I could go for class wrestling in the team tournament.  The reason 3/4 of the champs are from big schools may be that 3/4 of kids go to large schools.  The state champ should be the one who has worked the hardest and is the best wrestler.  No reason a small school kid can't outwork a large school.

As listed on the IHSAA web site for 4 class sports. I am not entirely sure which side this supports, but it is some nice numbers for all you number freaks out there to play with. If you are in favor of class wrestling, I guess you could say that since 5 of the 8 teams are from class 4, that shows a needc for class wrestling. If you are against class wrestling, you could say yes, 5 are from class 4A, but there are 3 from 3A and 2A, which shows a balance of power amopng team state finalists.

Crown Point                        2289    #14    4A

Perry Meridian                  2132    #23    4A

Castle                                    1786    #43    4A

Mishawaka                          1692    #47  4A

Indianapolis Cathedral    1286    #83    4A

Roncalli                                  1111    #104  3A

Bellmont                                894    #127  3A

Delphi Community            522      #224  2A

400 Schools listed for 2007-2011

In the article about Harper they mention how we have so few 4 time state champs because of our classless system.  Changing to classes would weaken this achievement.

I 100% agree, it would water down the achievement.

The state champ should be the one who has worked the hardest and is the best wrestler.  No reason a small school kid can't outwork a large school.

I was "that" kid, and loved every minute of it.

I agree with alot of that just not the last part. The smaller schools are "scared" to run with the big dogs. Thats kind of patrionizing in the expense of saying they cant compete.

warrendad I agree with you, totally. Small schools can but not every small school believes that they can and uses school size as an excuse on what went wrong. That's why I say NOT every small school is scared of the bigger ones because of size. Its not because they cannot, its a matter of the mind if you got the players willing to put in the work.

There are other factors at play than size, but to say that the size of the school does not matter is head in the sand foolishness.

Here are a few factors to consider:

1.  Coaching

2.  Size

3.  Youth Program

4.  Tradition

You have to have to have very good youth program and tradition to overcome size so that you can have an equal number of participants.  I know that is one reason Mater Dei has always been great and I bet that is why Bellmont has been great.  But this takes a ton of hardwork.  This may get me in hotwater, but the hardwork is very easy for a school like Mater Dei to get from their alumni because, lets face it, Catholic/Private schools have strong volunteerism, typically better than a public school will have.  I bet any of the smaller schools have to work at their program harder than the larger schools.

if enrllment doesn't matter why are 75% of the state qualifiers the past 11 years from big schools?

My guess is that it's because approximately 75% of the male students go to "big schools". 

I think the data you have put together and presented here previously has shown this to be the case.   

But exactly half of the chances to go to state are with the bigger schools and half are with the smaller schools.  Bigger schools do not get to send 20 kids to sectional, they send 14 just like a small school.

So the kids at smaller schools don't work hard and have no heart.  That is a slap in the face of many coaches and wrestlers around the state.  I guess I'll tell my kids that didn't qualify for state they don't have any heart and are lazy.

Well if yu think about it wrestling a class system in an individual sense is stupid. Everyone wants to be a true champion. The best. That is what the IHSAA wants. Now in a team sense I can understand a class system because of depth and multiple kids competing for a spot. If an athlete in a small school wants to be a champion on his own he just needs to get out and do tournaments himself in the offseason and decide that wrestling is the sport he wishes to pursue.

I looked all over the IHSAA site and nowhere did I see it stating the goals of the association were to have a "true champion."

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.